T Nation

A Question - Atlantis?

It’s only a small question, but it’s been bugging me for a while…
What makes us think there is/was an Atlantis anyways? Or is it just a legend/myth, what provoked that legend/myth, ever since I did a paper on the Celtic culture and found out they may be descendants of the Atlantean people, it’s triggered my curiousity…

Plus the boards are dead and nothing else to do you bastards.

[quote]Nate112 wrote:
It’s only a small question, but it’s been bugging me for a while…
What makes us think there is/was an Atlantis anyways? Or is it just a legend/myth, what provoked that legend/myth, ever since I did a paper on the Celtic culture and found out they may be descendants of the Atlantean people, it’s triggered my curiousity…

Plus the boards are dead and nothing else to do you bastards.[/quote]

I have not looked into it in a while, but from what I remember, it was first mentioned by Plato. It was a morality tale. The Atlantians turned on each other and favored materialism.
There are some structures that were found, such as the wall at Biminy, that support the theory that Atlantis was real as well.

The egyptians have been thought to have descened from atlantis as well.

I wouldnt think of the Celtic culture being from atlantis since they are white and blonde (not to stereotype) but atlantis was believed to have been in the tropical atlantic which would make me think of dark skinned people.

clusters of rock that look like they were placed together to ba roads have been found underwater near the bermuda triangle.

There were lots of civilizations that may have been advanced but didnt keep any records

Pumapunku for example is located near Tiwanaku in Bolivia and while it basically looks like a pile of ruins at first, it is a very complex pile of stones cut with lasor precision, and there are no records of anything.

IIRC, one of the things that anthropologists/archaeologists quote is that there are myths of a civilization vanishing beneath the seas in different places around world, from times when these different cultures (egyptians and mayans, for example) had no way of contacting or knowing each other. The myths, when you take the different styles of story-telling into account, are almost the exact same story taking place around the same time.

Then you look at things like Stonehenge, Easter island, Pumapunku (like horsepuss brought up), and all these other things that, by all means, can’t be explained or should be impossible given the level of technology… It sure seems like somewhere along the lines some civilization of higher intelligence had to exist. As for why the technology didn’t last, well there’s a difference between teaching someone and showing someone. My guess is these techniques were shown, but never taught and over time the people didn’t know how to make the technology work properly anymore and it just faded into the past.

Sometimes, the biggest mysteries are the ones you never even hear about… http://www.cracked.com/article_16871_6-insane-discoveries-that-science-cant-explain.html

haha, that website was insightful and funny.

Without question their have been almost entire cities/parts of cities swept under the waves of different oceans due to earthquakes ect. If you dive on the coast of Alexandria then there are tons of statues and other artifacts that are being uncovered. Rocks carved with different symbols off the coast of Japan. A new site which has just been found (closely guarded where it is) and exploration will start soon. Atlantis to some stretch of the imagination could be real… and could in theory have been a highly advanced civilization depending on how you think of “advanced”, were still discovering extraordinary things from the Romans. Do I think it is real…no but it definitely would be cool.

There are alternative history books on the subject. I read From Atlantis to the Sphynx years ago. Others that may include the subject are Fingerprints of the Gods, The Orion Mystery, there’s lots i imagine. You certainly have to read them with an open mind.

I was really hoping this would go further, I could talk about ancient civilizationa all day.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
I was really hoping this would go further, I could talk about ancient civilizationa all day.[/quote]

Yeah this is very interesting to read. I can’t contribute anything, but again, very interesting.

Well, we could elaborate by talking about the fact on Aliens influence on Ancient cultures ( ancient drawings, structures, and or designs) whether you think it was aliens, americans, or if they were just extremely doped up europeans.

There is also the fact of how the Pyramids line up Astronomically and how such things as http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_coralcastle1.htm http://www.earthquest.co.uk/china/china.html http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_12.htm (without turning it into a religious event) or Why lemon meringue pie is delicious after turkey dinner.

There is also the fact of how all of these genius ancient civilizations just vanished off the face of the earth, are they all dead under ground somewhere, where did they go http://www.world-mysteries.com/gw_rn3.htm.

There are so many questions I have about history that this isn’t even the tip of the iceberg.

For more interesting scientific/historic mumbo jumbo

http://www.cracked.com/article_16671_6-famous-unsolved-mysteries-with-really-obvious-solutions.html

[quote]Nate112 wrote:
Well, we could elaborate by talking about the fact on Aliens influence on Ancient cultures ( ancient drawings, structures, and or designs) whether you think it was aliens, americans, or if they were just extremely doped up europeans.

There is also the fact of how the Pyramids line up Astronomically and how such things as http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_coralcastle1.htm http://www.earthquest.co.uk/china/china.html http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_12.htm (without turning it into a religious event) or Why lemon meringue pie is delicious after turkey dinner.

There is also the fact of how all of these genius ancient civilizations just vanished off the face of the earth, are they all dead under ground somewhere, where did they go http://www.world-mysteries.com/gw_rn3.htm.

There are so many questions I have about history that this isn’t even the tip of the iceberg. [/quote]

I definetly think it was aliens or an advanced culture of some sort that passed on this knowledge around the world.

Not only do the pyramids line up Astronomically, its base is the exact same size as the largest pyramid found in south america.

The Sumerians have documented stories of a civilization coming down and passing information on to them called the Annunaki, The sumerians had maps of the solar system inluding Pluto which wasnt discovered by modern man until 1930.

The Sumerians Tales of the annunaki and there ships bear a very similar resemblence to the tales of Enoch in the Bible.Enoch was said to travel to the heavens with an advanced civilization to learn many things then return to teach us.

The Myans and the Tiwanaku both have tales of a tall white man with a long white beard and elongated head coming to them and teaching them how to build these pyramids and various other things.They called him Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl and Enoch seem very similar to me.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:

The Myans and the Tiwanaku both have tales of a tall white man with a long white beard and elongated head coming to them and teaching them how to build these pyramids and various other things.They called him Quetzalcoatl[/quote]

What’s interesting about the elongated head part is the shape of the heads on Easter Island, as well as a couple ancient cultures using devices to lengthen their own skulls.

This could mean either they were transforming themselves into the image of their god, OR that they simply created their god in their version of perfection.

Also, not to bust your balls Horsepuss, but I’ve always learned about Quetzalcoatl as a giant with a headress, holding a snake. However, I can’t prove that’s any more correct than your version.

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:

[quote]horsepuss wrote:

The Myans and the Tiwanaku both have tales of a tall white man with a long white beard and elongated head coming to them and teaching them how to build these pyramids and various other things.They called him Quetzalcoatl[/quote]

What’s interesting about the elongated head part is the shape of the heads on Easter Island, as well as a couple ancient cultures using devices to lengthen their own skulls.

This could mean either they were transforming themselves into the image of their god, OR that they simply created their god in their version of perfection.

Also, not to bust your balls Horsepuss, but I’ve always learned about Quetzalcoatl as a giant with a headress, holding a snake. However, I can’t prove that’s any more correct than your version.[/quote]

yeah I know the pic you posted is the same one on wikipedia, All the experts who have been on history channel explain Quetzalcoatl the way I did.Who knows, When the fairly light skinned spanish arrived in south america and the Mayans saw them they thought it was Quetzalcoatls return.

Speaking of Easter island Wormwood, I heard recently that the demise of easter island was rats, That the rats would eat everything and spread disease, also the rats would duplicate making it nearly impossible to get rid of them.

I am finding this pretty interesting… any of you guys have any good books you can recommend?

[quote]horsepuss wrote:

[quote]horsepuss wrote:

Also, not to bust your balls Horsepuss, but I’ve always learned about Quetzalcoatl as a giant with a headress, holding a snake. However, I can’t prove that’s any more correct than your version.[/quote]

yeah I know the pic you posted is the same one on wikipedia, All the experts who have been on history channel explain Quetzalcoatl the way I did.Who knows, When the fairly light skinned spanish arrived in south america and the Mayans saw them they thought it was Quetzalcoatls return.[/quote]

I can’t seem to find an article on it, but there was a theory mentioned that Cortes’ easy infiltration of the Aztec culture was due to an Aztec consort he had captured from one of the vassal states surrounding Tenochtitlán. He used her to convince Moctezuma that he was the return of Quetzalcoatl.

Not sure how much merit that has, but it would make sense considering that even the extra superstitious Aztec wouldn’t just let a bunch of strange men waltz in and occupy their city.

Check this out Worm

http://ephemeris.com/history/mayans.html

[quote]horsepuss wrote:

[quote]horsepuss wrote:

yeah I know the pic you posted is the same one on wikipedia, All the experts who have been on history channel explain Quetzalcoatl the way I did.Who knows, When the fairly light skinned spanish arrived in south america and the Mayans saw them they thought it was Quetzalcoatls return.[/quote]

I can’t seem to find an article on it, but there was a theory mentioned that Cortes’ easy infiltration of the Aztec culture was due to an Aztec consort he had captured from one of the vassal states surrounding TenochtitlÃ?¡n. He used her to convince Moctezuma that he was the return of Quetzalcoatl.

Not sure how much merit that has, but it would make sense considering that even the extra superstitious Aztec wouldn’t just let a bunch of strange men waltz in and occupy their city.[/quote]

We discussed this in my Colonial Latin America class this past semester. While it is debated, it is generally accepted that there was some trickery on Cortez’s part regarding quetzalcoatl and prophecy. This did not guarantee him victory however, as he and his army was forced to flee the city, then return in force to conquer it.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

[quote]horsepuss wrote:

[quote]horsepuss wrote:

I can’t seem to find an article on it, but there was a theory mentioned that Cortes’ easy infiltration of the Aztec culture was due to an Aztec consort he had captured from one of the vassal states surrounding TenochtitlÃ??Ã?¡n. He used her to convince Moctezuma that he was the return of Quetzalcoatl.

Not sure how much merit that has, but it would make sense considering that even the extra superstitious Aztec wouldn’t just let a bunch of strange men waltz in and occupy their city.[/quote]

We discussed this in my Colonial Latin America class this past semester. While it is debated, it is generally accepted that there was some trickery on Cortez’s part regarding quetzalcoatl and prophecy. This did not guarantee him victory however, as he and his army was forced to flee the city, then return in force to conquer it.[/quote]

if i remember correctly, they were forced to flee because one of his lieutenants Alvarado was treating the Aztecs like slaves. Cortes wasn’t able to assuage them which caused his men to flee and return later after they conquered more of the surrounding natives.

and Horsepuss, i’m checking the link now, thanks.