A Question About Weight Loss

Hi, i am trying to lose 3 stone and i have read about weight loss on various forums. I have gotten the idea that the best way to lose weight is to first sort your diet out, so i am now consuming 1500 calories a day. Then in order to facilitate the weight loss you should hit the weights rather than do CV because you build muscle which uses more calories a day so you lose more weight + you use calories when you are doing the weights.

I have also read that in order to gain muscle you need to eat alot (i think its called bulking), because the extra muscle growth requires more calories. The last thing i have read is that it is very difficult to lose weight and gain muscle.

Now this is where i get confused because surley if you need extra caloires to build muscle then when you are on a restricted diet (1500 calories a day) there are not enough calories to help build the muscle.

Anyway the question is :- How can the theory of doing weights to lose weight be true when in theory you cant gain muscle when you are on a restricted diet?

[quote]knightsimon wrote:

Anyway the question is :- How can the theory of doing weights to lose weight be true when in theory you cant gain muscle when you are on a restricted diet?

[/quote]
Your doing the weights more to PRESERVE muscle and hopefully build some in your case being new Id guess you have a great chance of doing both. But your aiming to use the weight training to force the body to kee[p lean tissue think it is needed. and We resistance training is anabolic in nature where as cardio is catabolic in nature (eating tissues)

Oh and 1500 a day is WAY to damn low unless your a 120 or les lb female.

Base your training in weights add cardio as needed for yor goals.

Phill

[quote]knightsimon wrote:
Hi, i am trying to lose 3 stone and i have read about weight loss on various forums. I have gotten the idea that the best way to lose weight is to first sort your diet out, so i am now consuming 1500 calories a day.[/quote]
Where’d you come up with that number? 1500 calories a day really isn’t much at all. And actually, staying on such a restrictive diet like that is more likely to scare your metabolism into slowing down even further.

I’d start at your bodyweight x 11 for a calorie baseline right now. And give a read-through of Dr. Berardi’s 7 habits, that’s a great starting point:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493

I think it was Chris Shugart who said "If you try to chase two rabbits at the same time, they’ll both end up getting away from you. Choose one priority and attack it full tilt. Like Phil mentioned, either try to burn fat while preserving muscle, or try to build muscle and not stress too much over bodyfat.

What does your weekly training plan look like?