A Question About Suits

I have a wedding to go to soon and had a question concerning the suit I’m going to wear. I’m pretty excited to wear the suit since, after losing 30 lbs, I had it taken in to fit better. My question is this; does a black shirt and black, slightly textured tie look good with a black suit?

I already bought the shirt and tie to go with the suit at the suggestion of my brother, and do kinda like it. It’s just that I don’t wear suits that often and really I’m not a fashion guru. So I was hoping to get some feedback from some of T-Nations more fashion savy guys and gals on whether this is a good look.

What do you think?

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
I have a wedding to go to soon and had a question concerning the suit I’m going to wear. I’m pretty excited to wear the suit since, after losing 30 lbs, I had it taken in to fit better. My question is this; does a black shirt and black, slightly textured tie look good with a black suit?

I already bought the shirt and tie to go with the suit at the suggestion of my brother, and do kinda like it. It’s just that I don’t wear suits that often and really I’m not a fashion guru. So I was hoping to get some feedback from some of T-Nations more fashion savy guys and gals on whether this is a good look.

What do you think? [/quote]

Is it a mafia wedding? If so, go for it. Otherwise, try to avoid the guido at a funeral look, if possible.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
I have a wedding to go to soon and had a question concerning the suit I’m going to wear. I’m pretty excited to wear the suit since, after losing 30 lbs, I had it taken in to fit better. My question is this; does a black shirt and black, slightly textured tie look good with a black suit?

I already bought the shirt and tie to go with the suit at the suggestion of my brother, and do kinda like it. It’s just that I don’t wear suits that often and really I’m not a fashion guru. So I was hoping to get some feedback from some of T-Nations more fashion savy guys and gals on whether this is a good look.

What do you think? [/quote]

Hey Bigflamer. The answer is maybe. In NYC if you don’t wear black you stand out.

My two cents. Go with a white shirt with black or blue small stripes on the shirt. Keep the tie and suit. Alternately if you want to stand out. Bright blue solid shirt with the black tie. Land’s End has tapered ones with a trim cut. Go with the French Cuff’s. They always look cool.

Go with a black suit/shirt, and a white tie. That would look good.

And congrats on the weight loss.

black suit, black shirt, red tie would be hot.

For the love of god, don’t wear the all black to the wedding. Wear a lighter colored shirt and a subdued tie. Remember, it’s a wedding, you are not the center of attention. Just make sure you wear a black belt and shoes and some funky socks.

[quote]Liquid447 wrote:
black suit, black shirt, red tie would be hot.[/quote]

I hope you are a girl.

Thanks guys. Well, I’m starting to think that the all black thing isn’t a good idea. Especially, as was pointed out, that I would be wearing a suit that commands alot of attention. That’s sort of the grooms job at a wedding I guess. An angle I hadn’t considered.

What if I kept the black shirt and went with a solid gray tie?

Well it’s not a funeral or The Matrix, so yeah, add some color. A solid gray tie would be ok, and even better with a lighter shade gray shirt.

I vote for tuxedo t-shirt. Always classy.

A wedding calls for a subdued look, as you’ve already picked up on. A suit combo is less desirable vs. a mixed combo of slacks and blazer if you’re not in the wedding party. Talk to some of your buddies going to the wedding, could be nobody is even wearing a jacket. I would go with tan, grey, or blue slacks and a not too crazy shirt.

Let your tie be the main piece of the ensemble. If you want to be adventurous with your shirt color, match the tie to that with an accent color to your socks or belt. Most important is to be comfortable or at least appear that way. Nothing ruins a wedding more than a bunch of stiffs.

A blazer to set off your slacks would be ideal if you look comfortable wearing one, otherwise don’t bother…you’ll look contrived and stupid. You’re main point is to be there for your buddy.

[quote]bigscarymonster wrote:
Wear a lighter colored shirt and a subdued tie.[/quote]

I’d recommend this as well.

What color are your Chucks?

[quote]apayne wrote:
A wedding calls for a subdued look, as you’ve already picked up on. A suit combo is less desirable vs. a mixed combo of slacks and blazer if you’re not in the wedding party. Talk to some of your buddies going to the wedding, could be nobody is even wearing a jacket. I would go with tan, grey, or blue slacks and a not too crazy shirt.

Let your tie be the main piece of the ensemble. If you want to be adventurous with your shirt color, match the tie to that with an accent color to your socks or belt. Most important is to be comfortable or at least appear that way. Nothing ruins a wedding more than a bunch of stiffs.

A blazer to set off your slacks would be ideal if you look comfortable wearing one, otherwise don’t bother…you’ll look contrived and stupid. You’re main point is to be there for your buddy.[/quote]

Well, it’s my sister’s wedding with around 500 guests. Pretty formal with most of the guys not in the wedding wearing a suit.

One things for certain, the more I wear a suit, the more I like to wear a suit. I can’t wait until I lose yet even more weight so I can by a really nice tailored suit. That’s actually become a motivation for me. Once I get to my goal weight/bf %, I’ll treat myself to a nice new suit that fits me really well.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:

One things for certain, the more I wear a suit, the more I like to wear a suit. I can’t wait until I lose yet even more weight so I can by a really nice tailored suit. That’s actually become a motivation for me. Once I get to my goal weight/bf %, I’ll treat myself to a nice new suit that fits me really well.

[/quote]

I really dig wearing a suit as well. I don’t know what’s stylish or fashionable, and I don’t give a damn, I just go for what looks good. Personally, I think the shirt should contrast with the jacket, so black jacket black shirt won’t look right.

Try to imagine a black and white photo of yourself, if one piece like jacket is on one extreme of the black/white spectrum, it’s best that the other is on the opposide end. When one is gray, then the other can be gray. For example a dark blue jacket would look good with a light yellow or cream colored shirt, a medium grey jacket would look good with medium pink or blue shirt. But a white shirt will work with just about anything.

As far as ties go, if your shirt/jacket are subdued, like white and black/navy blue then you should wear a more colorful tie. If the jacket and shirt are very colorful, then go with a subdued tie.

Since you’re in the wedding, I guess you have to wear whatever tie they say, but I wouldn’t wear black if I had a choice, since that’s what you wear to funerals. Weddings should be colorful and festive. Just no fucking cartoon characters on your tie.

But use your own best sense. Stand in front of a mirror and if you think you look good, that’s all that matters.

Well, I thought I would post a picture of what I put together. As you can see, I went with the black shirt with the suit, however I swapped in a tie with color. The tie has grey/black stripes with light purple in it. When looking at the tie, it gives off the impression that it has pink accents in it, but it’s realy a light purple.

Next time I’ll go with a spread collar shirt with small black stripes and french cuffs as hedo suggested.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/2/4/245f5-Liz_s_wedding_010.jpg

Here’s a better look.


Shown here with optional Oakley hitman glasses

And shown here with optional Super Trooper style guido glasses :-]

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
bigflamer wrote:

One things for certain, the more I wear a suit, the more I like to wear a suit. I can’t wait until I lose yet even more weight so I can by a really nice tailored suit. That’s actually become a motivation for me. Once I get to my goal weight/bf %, I’ll treat myself to a nice new suit that fits me really well.

I really dig wearing a suit as well. I don’t know what’s stylish or fashionable, and I don’t give a damn, I just go for what looks good. Personally, I think the shirt should contrast with the jacket, so black jacket black shirt won’t look right.

Try to imagine a black and white photo of yourself, if one piece like jacket is on one extreme of the black/white spectrum, it’s best that the other is on the opposide end. When one is gray, then the other can be gray. For example a dark blue jacket would look good with a light yellow or cream colored shirt, a medium grey jacket would look good with medium pink or blue shirt. But a white shirt will work with just about anything.

As far as ties go, if your shirt/jacket are subdued, like white and black/navy blue then you should wear a more colorful tie. If the jacket and shirt are very colorful, then go with a subdued tie.

Since you’re in the wedding, I guess you have to wear whatever tie they say, but I wouldn’t wear black if I had a choice, since that’s what you wear to funerals. Weddings should be colorful and festive. Just no fucking cartoon characters on your tie.

But use your own best sense. Stand in front of a mirror and if you think you look good, that’s all that matters.[/quote]

Follow Uncle’s advice. Always stay away from same colored shirts and ties and same colored shirts and jackets.

DB

Black coat, white shoes, black hat, Cadillac.

Yeah, the boy’s a time bomb!