T Nation

A Profile In Courage

[quote]baretta wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter what it is, it’s called free speech.

I agree with the person who said you shouldn’t be posting pics on the net of people and accusing them of things, even if you are right. So what if you think he is racist, are you personally going to identify everyone you have a problem with? Unless he personally attacked you and did the same thing, I think this was uncalled for.

I’d say the majority of people here exaggerate their physique also, so that doesn’t have any bearing on the situation.

[/quote]

Baretta,

Go back and peruse Gerry’s post history and see if you still think the same way. Trust me.

I’m torn…

If people want to have a fantasy Internet life, let them.

OTOH, being a racist should have consequences.

Nice job, Mr. Murrow.

Good night, and good luck.

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:

Does this justify linking to his picture and his place of employment

• POC[/quote]

Hmmm…

Maybe, maybe not, but how bright do you have to be to use your real name on an internet forum, knowing that the company you work for has your name, photo and profile posted on their website?

Since Dweezil posted this, I road-tested this on Google Images using “Gerry Sharman”, and the very first pic (regardless of the first name misspelling) links to the website with all of this info.

Just playing devil’s advocate here…

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:
I may be the only one, but I’m going to call this a low blow.

So he lied about his numbers and body composition. So what? I’m betting he is not the first one to do so here.

And about being a racist I wouldn’t know since I haven’t read his posts, but even if he is this seems a bit too much.

Does this justify linking to his picture and his place of employment and calling his mustache ‘homoerotic’? Is this even remotely proportional? Even if he is a troll?

What if someone gets the bright idea to harass him or his employer? He might lose his job, be humiliated and certainly lose a few nights’ sleep. Just because he posted something online. And of course we can’t even be 100% sure that this is the right person…

If you want to argue with trolls, go right ahead. If you want a troll to go away, don’t feed it. Opening a troll for abuse in real life is not the way to go.

• POC[/quote]

Call it subjective ethics if you will.

If you act as if nothing is sacred, you will be treated as if nothing is sacred.

Therefore, the dude got it the way he gave it.

Notice how nothing like this ever happens to the regular folks who act with a little respect for others?

[quote]Digital Chainsaw wrote:
PredatorOC wrote:

• POC

Hmmm…

Maybe, maybe not, but how bright do you have to be to use your real name on an internet forum, knowing that the company you work for has your name, photo and profile posted on their website?

Since Dweezil posted this, I road-tested this on Google Images using “Gerry Sharman”, and the very first pic (regardless of the first name misspelling) links to the website with all of this info.

Just playing devil’s advocate here…[/quote]

Good point Dig,

The whole name thing, it isn’t as though he even changed it up that much.

PredatorOC wrote:

• POC

Hmmm…
Maybe, maybe not, but how bright do you have to be to use your real name on an internet forum, knowing that the company you work for has your name, photo and profile posted on their website?[/quote]

I agree. If you to make up an internet persona and live a fantasy bodybuilder life online, that’s cool, but you probably shouldn’t use your real name.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Digital Chainsaw wrote:
PredatorOC wrote:

• POC

Hmmm…

I agree. If you to make up an internet persona and live a fantasy bodybuilder life online, that’s cool, but you probably shouldn’t use your real name.[/quote]

way to many people on here think its ok to lie about your lifts/body

[quote]n3wb wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Digital Chainsaw wrote:
PredatorOC wrote:

• POC

Hmmm…

I agree. If you to make up an internet persona and live a fantasy bodybuilder life online, that’s cool, but you probably shouldn’t use your real name.

way to many people on here think its ok to lie about your lifts/body

[/quote]

In my opinion, the only lifts/body you should really give a shit about are/is your own.

Maybe, maybe not, but how bright do you have to be to use your real name on an internet forum, knowing that the company you work for has your name, photo and profile posted on their website?[/quote]

Granted his information isn’t hard to find, but I still think posting them was not justified. From what posts I bothered to read by him, he wasn’t going after anyone personally and digging up their information.

And the fact that he used his real name to troll a website bothers me. No one could be that stupid. So can we be sure its the right guy?

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
If you act as if nothing is sacred, you will be treated as if nothing is sacred.

Therefore, the dude got it the way he gave it.[/quote]

But he didn’t dig up anyones personal information and post them online while ridiculing that person. Seems to me he was just trying to get a reaction from people. The way to handle that is to ignore him, not with a personal attack.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw
OTOH, being a racist should have consequences.[/quote]

Thats not reasonable if no crime has been committed. No matter who much you disagree with his views/trolling.

• POC

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:

And the fact that he used his real name to troll a website bothers me. No one could be that stupid. So can we be sure its the right guy?

• POC[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:
And the fact that he used his real name to troll a website bothers me. No one could be that stupid.

• POC[/quote]

Sure they could. Don’t have so much faith in humanity.

I’ve seen far less intelligent things than not altering the spelling of your name enough to conceal your identity on an internet forum.

You guys are making the assumption that he is using HIS real name. Sure, he’s using a real name, but none of the e-Holmes’ hee can know for sure who it is that is posting as GP.

Besides - how much of a hardon do you have to have for the guy to spend that much time on someone you don’t like?

There are about three guys on here that are the first to cry “put up your pics”. But I have yet to see even as much as a arm shot from these guys.

One of them started this thread.

Why did the mods even let the original post through? If it isn’t the right guy all you did was drag some guy’s name through the mud. And why? Because you’re to much of a cry baby and you don’t agree with his views?

O by the way if anyone has been looking at the contact page on that company’s website that got posted you will notice that their email contact has been removed… “Temporarily not listed due to high volume of spam.”

So jackass you managed to get enough of this board interested in spamming this guy at his place of work, and not only harassing him but his company and co-workers. Bravo, you’re such a stand up guy, maybe someone will return the favor to you one day.

Whelp, I suppose it’s about time I start responding to my own thread.

[quote]nikolo wrote:
Slow Sunday for you?[/quote]

I had just woke up from a nap. So… yes.

I have no urge to contact his employer, I linked to the page as a means of proof since he’s constantly talking about people going to Denver and asking at various gyms for him. The company is in Denver.

If someone else decides to contact his employer, I highly doubt they’ll do anything. It’s not a large company, presumably they’re all friendly with each other, the boss would have no reason to fire one of his employees based on some stupid ramblings he wrote on the internet.

As for losing sleep, I would think the only sleep he would lose would be a direct result of him being full of shit and being unable post advice in the future without being seen as less than credible. I would hope no one takes the time to find out where he lives, and even if they did it’s not like anyone would do anything. You’re greatly overestimating the potency of the internet.

[quote]I’d say the majority of people here exaggerate their physique also, so that doesn’t have any bearing on the situation.
[/quote]

You’re right, it didn’t have a bearing on the situation until he made it have a bearing on the situation.

He asked for people to come down to Denver, already disclosing his location, posting with a name that was pretty close to his, and threatening that he’d deal with them in real life. I posted what you’d see if you did manage to track him down. You know, like a preview.

One of those teen model sites where they don’t give you any real nude shit as apart of the site tour. Maybe Jerry will come back and take a little video for me of him stripping so I can make it a video preview.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
I’m torn…

If people want to have a fantasy Internet life, let them.

OTOH, being a racist should have consequences.[/quote]

I was torn before I put it in a thread. Going back and reading even earlier posts I didn’t cite in that Michael Richards thread and then him basically saying he’d beat the shit out of anyone if they’d come down to Denver and ask for him made me decidedly whole again.

He changed the first letter, and slipped once when he said JP instead of GP. You give far too much credit to this man who couldn’t even speak coherently.

He said he was balding and hairy, and that appears to be the only thing about him that was correct. Someone said he had something in his profile about scuba diving previously- I don’t know if that’s correct, but I’m pretty confident in this information.

We all have our methods, apparently.

It’s reasonable if the person doing the trolling is the one who brings it into the conversation.

[quote]Jerome wrote:
Why did the mods even let the original post through? If it isn’t the right guy all you did was drag some guy’s name through the mud. And why? Because you’re to much of a cry baby and you don’t agree with his views? [/quote]

I think he’s a racist and he refused to even give his age when several people were asking, much less a photo to back-up his claims.

And weren’t you the guy who said the girl suing that school for not letting her participate in a weightlifting class deserved to get raped? Clearly I should take advice from you about posting things on the internet.

The information was given to me. I was left to decide what to do with it. I could’ve done it in a nicer way, but I’m not apologetic about my decision.

If he was going to keep rambling on using bullshit information about himself as a platform, someone eventually had to post real information about him.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
There are about three guys on here that are the first to cry “put up your pics”. But I have yet to see even as much as a arm shot from these guys.

One of them started this thread. [/quote]

Find one other person of whom I’ve requested their picture to back up their lifting/body comp claims.

The reason you won’t be able to is because I’ve never done it for anyone else. If people want to lie about their stats, it doesn’t really bother me. If people don’t want to share pictures of themselves because they’re in a public position or they’re shy, it doesn’t really bother me. When people make it a focal point of a conversation and refuse to provide any information to back it up under the scrutiny of multiple people, it bothers me.

Thanks for playing.

This thread should be blocked and deleted. Just because someone’s personal views deviates from what is expected by society should not make them targets of personal attack. There are many groups out there that have different beliefs others outside the group may find offensive.

Internet forums should be a place where people can express their view points from an anonymous position unless they want to reveal their identity. Otherwise it’s just a forum of censored discussion.

This creates a very bad precedent that opens the door to future attacks.

[quote]Dweezil wrote:
rainjack wrote:

One of them started this thread.

Find one other person of whom I’ve requested their picture to back up their lifting/body comp claims.

The reason you won’t be able to is because I’ve never done it for anyone else. If people want to lie about their stats, it doesn’t really bother me. If people don’t want to share pictures of themselves because they’re in a public position or they’re shy, it doesn’t really bother me. When people make it a focal point of a conversation and refuse to provide any information to back it up under the scrutiny of multiple people, it bothers me.

Thanks for playing.[/quote]

So it’s okay to call someone out for not posting pics - even though you won’t?

You are on this guy’s ass all the time.

Post up or shut up.

You are wasting bandwidth with your hypocrisy.

My bet is you are either a 135lb soy-boy, or a 350 pound lard-ass.

Either way you run your mouth like a true keyboard warrior.

And I have a problem with that.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
So it’s okay to call someone out for not posting pics - even though you won’t?[/quote]

Have I ever made my weight, height, bodyfat or lift numbers apart of my conversations in an attempt to make me seem more relevant, or to make me look like an expert? I think you’ll find the answer to that is no.

I asked for an age, because he’s innumerate, not for his photos. When he claimed the stats he did and implied he’d beat the shit out of anyone in real life if they’d come to Denver, we all asked for photos.

[quote]Post up or shut up.

And I have a problem with that. [/quote]

Point out where I’ve been a racist blowhard who claims an “above” 585 pound squat and I’ll get back to you on the hypocrisy thing.

There are three people on this site who have seen me, one who’s trained with me in real life, and they’re free to come out and say something if they want to. If they don’t, that’s fine.

You can have a problem with whatever you please, princess.

[quote]Dweezil wrote:
rainjack wrote:
So it’s okay to call someone out for not posting pics - even though you won’t?

Have I ever made my weight, height, bodyfat or lift numbers apart of my conversations in an attempt to make me seem more relevant, or to make me look like an expert? I think you’ll find the answer to that is no.

You are on this guy’s ass all the time.

I asked for an age, because he’s innumerate, not for his photos. When he claimed the stats he did and implied he’d beat the shit out of anyone in real life if they’d come to Denver, we all asked for photos.

Post up or shut up.

And I have a problem with that.

Point out where I’ve been a racist blowhard who claims an “above” 585 pound squat and I’ll get back to you on the hypocrisy thing.

There are three people on this site who have seen me, one who’s trained with me in real life, and they’re free to come out and say something if they want to. If they don’t, that’s fine.

You can have a problem with whatever you please, princess.[/quote]

Why is this guy such a big deal to you?

I could give a shit who you are, or what you look like. Your hypocrisy speaks louder than any photo

But you are acting like a scorned lover or something. Every time the guy posts you are up his ass like you were made to be there.

How old are YOU?