T Nation

A Pressing Problem

I’ve had a niggling pain in my right forearm (around where the bicep attaches, isn’t painful to touch) while doing pressing movements for the last few weeks, I also feel it when turning my palm downwards.

I had a problem like this four years ago, and it took six months to heal, I had a couple of MRI scans during that time but nothing showed up for some reason.

I’m no doctor, but it sounds like your biceps tendon, especially because you mention that when you turn your wrist down it hurts. When you rotate your wrist, the biceps tendon gets wrapped around your radius.
Does it hurt when doing pull-ups?

[quote]bikemike wrote:
I’m no doctor, but it sounds like your biceps tendon, especially because you mention that when you turn your wrist down it hurts. When you rotate your wrist, the biceps tendon gets wrapped around your radius.
Does it hurt when doing pull-ups?[/quote]

no, pull-ups and rows are fine, barbell curls would cause aggravation but 8-10 rep dumbbell curls and reverse EZ curls are fine also.

When I dumbbell bench press I get the pain at the bottom of the lift, as I push upwards I lose stability in my right arm, stabilisation gets more difficult as the set progresses.

You may have to back off for a week or two.

Good luck.

At the moment I’m icing for 30 minutes as many times a day as I can and using a NSAID. The pain is during the first 20-30 degrees of flexion and during pronation, I can supinate fully under load and hold a isometric contraction between 60 degrees and full flexion without pain.

Should I wait until the pain has totally subsided before starting to use heat/stretches?