A Pint a Night

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:
I’m disgusted with myself for being the killjoy in this thread.[/quote]

Yeah I gotta admit man, I was a little suprised at you![/quote]

I never really drink at home. I think it’s a bad habit to get in to, for me at least.

I’m all about heading out and terrorising the townspeople!

[quote]Yogi wrote:

I’m disgusted with myself for being the killjoy in this thread.[/quote]

Yeah I gotta admit man, I was a little suprised at you![/quote]

I never really drink at home. I think it’s a bad habit to get in to, for me at least.

I’m all about heading out and terrorising the townspeople!
[/quote]

I totally agree, I think drinking at home and/or drinking alone is completely unnecessary but I know lots of healthy, productive people that do so.

I often hear people say you more than likely have a problem if you drink alone, but I’m not so sure that makes sense. All the medical information says having 1-2 a day is fine, just don’t binge drink. Your body prefers alcohol to trickle in slowly over time and all the damage comes from nights of very hard drinking. This seems to support using alcohol in a small amount regularly and not in large amounts more infrequently. I think this means a habit of one per night at home alone is much healthier than having 6 on Friday night out with friends. Many “social” drinkers I know are pretty much “binge” drinkers and seem to have more of a problem than the person who has 1 every night at home. Thoughts?

Also, I saw a study last year than showed Guiness to be an excellent sports recovery drink and I know many people drink it after running races. I hate to follow trends set by the running community, but I think this time they have a winner.

lol @ the “1400-2000 calories a week!” stuff. That’s 200-290 or so calories a day, which can easily fit within someone’s macro requirements.

But it could be 100,000 calories a year!!!

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:
lol @ the “1400-2000 calories a week!” stuff. That’s 200-290 or so calories a day, which can easily fit within someone’s macro requirements.

But it could be 100,000 calories a year!!![/quote]

It certainly can fit within someone’s macro requirements, but it can also undo the effects of otherwise good eating habits. Obviously that needs to be judged on an individual basis. For the OP, if he’s losing weight and getting stronger then clearly the beers aren’t an issue, but there may come a point in the future where those extra calories make a difference.

Plus, when there’s alcohol in your system your body isn’t burning fat or sugar. See this recent article:

IIRC there was an article on here a while ago that reached the conclusion that it was better to go all out once a month than to drink every day/weekend.

[quote]StevenF wrote:

Actually I like this justification. Beer number two don’t mind if I do. [/quote]

Never stop on an even number is what I always say!

Can you recommend a good commercial stout (except Guiness) ?

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
Can you recommend a good commercial stout (except Guiness) ?[/quote]

Why fuck around?

BrewDog’s Tactical Nuclear Penguin.

64 Proof.

One pint is enough.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
Can you recommend a good commercial stout (except Guiness) ?[/quote]

Murphy’s is nice.

Well, theoretical arguments aside:

Working (ie. you’re progressing ) and you’re not doing something that’s just downright dumb → continue as usual
Not going as planned → look for areas you can improve and work on improving them

You keep that nerd nonsense to yourself!!

No it is NOT crazy and having ONE or TWO drinks per day (living on the edge there, lol) will likely not have any discernible effect on your health, strength, appearance, or whatever. As said before, if you were going to step onstage in the near future, it would be necessary not to deviate from a plan. And you are not getting blitzed. And if you have lost weight with your little treat, then you kept your caloric amount under control while having it.

I used to be an overly rigidly guy when it came to indulging here and there. I will always take nutrition and training seriously and actually work in dietetics, but I have been having ONE drink on most nights, usually a glass of wine or a small serving of fireball cinnamon whiskey (that stuff is like candy!), for quite some time and have had no ill effects and actually lost weight while having it by controlling total caloric amount. Last night I had a high alcohol content Korean wine on an empty stomach at a restaurant and got a very strong buzz because of my low tolerance. I woke up fine!

If we’re going to get bombed on a regular basis (and I will never do that because it’s unhealthy and dangerous!), that’s a different story, and likely one in which the person is not drinking for a slight buzz or for taste.

I’ll have a couple of rum and cokes depending on whether or not I have anything in the mornings the next day, and I find that is hasn’t been really messing with my progress. I still wake up leaner, my weight has been going down, and I still get to enjoy a delicious beverage.