A Pint a Night

I have started exercising and following the NOV eating plan which is basically just eat a lot of protein, get some fruit and veggies in and stop whining.
I have struggled in the past to be consistent with working out and diet so I have made a small concession that seems to be working and keeping me sane while cutting out most of the junk out of my diet and keeping me focused on my workouts.

I have bought a case of Guinness draught, Murphy’s Irish stout and some Mackeson stout. I have one and sometimes two a night, usually in bed with the girlfriend watching a film. Seems to help with getting to sleep and helps me stick to my routine.

Are there any real health problems from doing this?

Lol

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Lol[/quote]

Is it really that crazy? I have been losing weight and doing well in the gym.

There are probably worse things you could be drinking than stout, but 1-2 pints a night adds up to 1470-2940 extra calories per week (basically a day’s extra food).

It’s also interesting that instead of buying one case, you bought three.

If you’re getting your macros in and this fits within them, then it will probably make no meaningful difference at all.

This Supp&Nutrition board has just jumped the shark these past few months with majoring in the minors.

I will dial it back to a can of Guinness a night, which equals 2.2 units a night, I plugged it into the drink aware weekly intake calculator and it said I am well within safe limits.

A can of beer or two a night isn’t going to do any damage.

If you were trying to get on stage, sure, this would be a hindrance.

But if you’re a guy who walks the line between working out/eating well and being a complete couch potato, and this little indulgence is what keeps you sane and makes you buckle down and eat well and stay in the gym…it’s a no brainer. Enjoy.

Training should enrich your life, not be a detriment.

Guinness and Murphy’s are fairly low alcohol for beers. They are often though of as being strong because of the dark color and strong taste, but that is from roasting the malt as opposed to having a high alcohol content. I’m not familiar with Mackenson stout. I’d be more concerned that drinking two a night would cause me to wake up and piss several times, rather than the alcohol content.

[quote]Musashi92 wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Lol[/quote]

Is it really that crazy? I have been losing weight and doing well in the gym. [/quote]

Sorry no. A pint a night is just dandy. I love a good beer.

Interestingly, a large study found that WOMEN who had 2 beers a day had much stronger bones. My lady friend has been forced to double up her beer drinking. Seems to make her a nicer person who takes additional naps.

[quote]philipj wrote:
Interestingly, a large study found that WOMEN who had 2 beers a day had much stronger bones. My lady friend has been forced to double up her beer drinking. Seems to make her a nicer person who takes additional naps.[/quote]

Its like doing loaded carries all day

I’m disgusted with myself for being the killjoy in this thread.

I like a decent beer, but I I leave my beer drinking for Friday to Sunday, and even then I try to limit it to 1 pint.

An extra 2000 calories a week in beer, I feel would be detrimental even for those who just want to “look strong and good naked”.

tweet

I can recall reading somewhere about dark beers in particular being helpful with DOMS.

I’ve used that to rationalize multiple pints of Guinness, at least a handful of times.

But always multiple for me, I’m not the type who can have just one.

Couldn’t hurt.

I’d have a glass of red wine and an extra slice of meat myself, but to each his own.

Wait… you drink Guinness from a CAN?

Sacrilege.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:
I’m disgusted with myself for being the killjoy in this thread.[/quote]

Yeah I gotta admit man, I was a little suprised at you!

[quote]chillain wrote:
I can recall reading somewhere about dark beers in particular being helpful with DOMS.

I’ve used that to rationalize multiple pints of Guinness, at least a handful of times.

But always multiple for me, I’m not the type who can have just one.

[/quote]

Actually I like this justification. Beer number two don’t mind if I do.