T Nation

A Numbers Thread for Bodybuilders

Some people have answered these somewhere but I cant find them, if u can help i would be appreciative and if ur goin to say its already been done, search for it, just dont post;)

Questions:
-> approx muscle gain per week thats achievable??
-> approx muscle loss per percent of BF lost??
-> starting macronutrient spread a skinny-fat beginner would start with when bulking??
-> BF% recommended for competing at?? (i realise its dependant on the person, but approx)
-> whats the most youve gained while bulking, how long did it take and how much BF did you gain??

Answers to those would be really helpful.

In addition, if anyone else has number questions feel free to ask them in here???

For beginners obviously the sky is the limit, some gain 20lbs in a month, some lose fat while gaining muscle etc.

The number 1 lbs per week gets thrown around and that is pretty reasonable. If you managed that pace that’d be 52lbs in a year. Berardi and others have article to the effect of ‘growth comes in surges and isnt linear’ which i agree with so you’re more likely to have a week where you barely gain anything and another where you gain 2lbs then to have anything regular. This is why most guys reccomend only monthly weighings if you are trying to gain weight.

I doubt there is an answer to your second question because it depends on waaaay to many factors. Either that or I’m just not qualified to answer it.

40-30-30 for protein-fat-carbs would probably be acceptable. I find that just eating enough good food without worrying about a macronutrient spread is a better strategy.

I assume you’re going to want the lowest possible bodyfat you could get for competing. I don’t often see guys complaining about losing too much fat but certainly below 5%.

The last successful bulk I had I went from 120lbs to 140lbs over 10 weeks and went from 7% to 11% bodyfat. That was when I finished wrestling and didn’t have to worry about weightclasses anymore.

[quote]RobRayner wrote:
Some people have answered these somewhere but I cant find them, if u can help i would be appreciative and if ur goin to say its already been done, search for it, just dont post;)

Questions:
-> approx muscle gain per week thats achievable??
-> approx muscle loss per percent of BF lost??
-> starting macronutrient spread a skinny-fat beginner would start with when bulking??
-> BF% recommended for competing at?? (i realise its dependant on the person, but approx)
-> whats the most youve gained while bulking, how long did it take and how much BF did you gain??

Answers to those would be really helpful.

In addition, if anyone else has number questions feel free to ask them in here???[/quote]

–.347454lbs/week
–.000009 1
–33/33/33?
–1%
–195->211 currently, still going. Not much. I stayed about the same BF %

Some of your questions don’t make sense, hence my sarcastic answers. They all depend on the person. There’s no hard and fast “rules.”

boyscout - how do they not make sense??

mchron - pretty awesome gains 2pounds a week not bad at all

cheerz

1.5ish years

70 pounds.

^^^^^how much ur bf increase??