A New Force in MMA

His name is Cung Le (pronounced “Lee”). He is very dynamic, has a very large arsenal, and is all around entertaining to watch.

Here is one of his K1 fights:

He recently began fighting in UFC, so he’s definitely someone to watch for.

Look up Joe Lauzon as well.

J-Lau is gonna WRECK the 155 class

[quote]kligor wrote:
His name is Cung Le (pronounced “Lee”). He is very dynamic, has a very large arsenal, and is all around entertaining to watch.

He recently began fighting in UFC, so he’s definitely someone to watch for.[/quote]

In the UFC???
or MMA?

I think he meant MMA. Actually, I just checked Sherdog, and Frank Shamrock fought Cesar Gracie on one of the cards Cung Le was on. Very interesting.

He looks impressive, but let’s see what happens when he rolls with a decent BJJ black belt in the octagon.

Mark Bocek and Claude Patrick from Canada ! Watch for them !

Why don’t we wait until Cung Le fights someone in MMA that anyone has heard of before we declare him the next great thing in MMA. Cung Le is an excellent sanshou practitioner. Sanshou is not MMA. We have yet to see what happens when Cung Le gets taken down.

[quote]Checkmate wrote:
Why don’t we wait until Cung Le fights someone in MMA that anyone has heard of before we declare him the next great thing in MMA. Cung Le is an excellent sanshou practitioner. Sanshou is not MMA. We have yet to see what happens when Cung Le gets taken down.[/quote]

I second this. And whoever said Lauzon is right on the money…he fucked up Pulver’s world and all the hype around his return pretty bad. He’s definetely on my radar now.

Im not taking anything away from Cung Le. He is super talented. However, in San Shou he was a big fish in a very small pond. MMA is a very big pond nowadays. His ground skills are totally unproven and the awesome takedowns he hits are against kickboxers who dont know what a sprawl is.

He wont be tossing abu dahbi vets or olympic-level wrestlers like that. Time will tell I guess.

As long as Cung Le keeps getting fed random cans at StrikeForce shows he’ll continue to get hype. If he ever fights legit competition and gets dominated people won’t have as much to say about him.

Frank Shamrock has been signed to fight Baroni so now we’ll see if he’s still got it against decent competition or if he’s a 34 year old hasbeen who is only world class at generating hype for himself.

Oh and Lauzon has been kicking ass and taking names for a while now. Glad his big debut went better than anyone could have hoped for.

Definitely an impressive debut in the 155 pound class. Especially against Jens Pulver. That ain’t easy.

[quote]TheZ-Man wrote:
kligor wrote:

He recently began fighting in UFC, so he’s definitely someone to watch for.

In the UFC???
or MMA?[/quote]

Both, actually. Someone already posted the link for his UFC debut.

[quote]Jason32 wrote:
He looks impressive, but let’s see what happens when he rolls with a decent BJJ black belt in the octagon.

It’s definitely something I’d love to see. I hope to see him on future cards of UFC fights.

[quote]t3h_Squirr3l wrote:
Mark Bocek and Claude Patrick from Canada ! Watch for them ![/quote]

Thanks for the heads-up.

eh? Cung Le has never fought in the UFC. he’s had 2 fights in MMA on Strike Force cards against mediocre opponents is really yet to be tested.

Cung Le was also an All American wrestler. He may not be “the next big thing,” but the K-1 guys do great in MMA, and Cung Le also fought a few K-1’s (and had a decent record).

I don’t think he’ll rock the MMA world, but he should do all right. We’ll see…

[quote]kligor wrote:
Both, actually. Someone already posted the link for his UFC debut.[/quote]

Just wanted to clarify for you and other people who may not understand. UFC is a brand name owned by Zuffa and the sport which UFC fighters partake in is known as MMA. Cung Le’s only MMA fights have been in a California based promotion called Strikeforce, he has NOT fought in the UFC.

[quote]alfuh wrote:
kligor wrote:
Both, actually. Someone already posted the link for his UFC debut.

Just wanted to clarify for you and other people who may not understand. UFC is a brand name owned by Zuffa and the sport which UFC fighters partake in is known as MMA. Cung Le’s only MMA fights have been in a California based promotion called Strikeforce, he has NOT fought in the UFC.
[/quote]

Oh, I know the difference between UFC and MMA, but I saw that one clip of him in the octagon, and figured it must have been UFC. I might’ve been wrong.

you are wrong, that was not the UFC.

While there is no doubt that Cung Le is a good Shan shou practitioner, he still has yet to face a decent opponent. I understand giving him a couple easy fights to get his feet wet, but a great fighter is not made by facing weak competition which is what he has been facing, the 185 lbs division is deep

Let him face Matt Lindland, Ninja, Dan Henderson, Dennis Kang, Rich Franklin, Anderson Silva, Bustamante, Filho, Lousseau, Marquardt, Swick, lil Nog, Gono, Kondo, Minowa, Pete Sell…even Baroni, or Leben, or Cote…crap anyone decent…the only force he is providing right now is hype.

I have heard that he is serious about the sport and spending a lot of time working on his ground game, but until he faces even a “B” level fighter, he is not a force in MMA…he is a guy living off his old success and facing subpar competition in order to further his legend.

I would really like to see Cung Le do well in UFC. If for no other reason than entertainment. Few fighters can pull off the moves that he can. Then again, if he does do well, the top fighters may not allow him to pull that stuff off. But for sure, it will be interesting to watch.