A New Animal: JDM135 for 1-2-3-4 plates

One thing I’ve noticed is that being able to isolate muscle groups seems pretty important for the bb stuff. For example, whenever I used to do lateral raises I felt it all in my traps. After 3 years I can actually feel my delts working on lateral raises. I have zero experience with BB stuff but without being able to actually use the targeted muscles, the movements seem kind of pointless. It seems like MMC is the most important part.

1 Like

No just my stupid Fkn phones predictive text and my fat fingers :joy: But it did kind of work.

1 Like

I think there are better ways to pump blood and get recovery then doing calf raises or concentration curls.

2 Likes

I agree that the MMC is important to be able to use isolation exercises properly. But remember there are heaps of big jacked people who just spent years throwing weights around with Intensity who aren’t properly isolating one muscle for optimal growth. Best growth I ever got from my shoulders (back when I was young and wanted big muscles) was from doing heavy lateral raises and using a lot of body movement to get the weight moving, but I did heaps of them until I could barely steer the car on the drive home. I deff wasn’t isolating anything.

2 Likes

1/4/2021
5 rounds:
-10 BSS/side
-15 swings
-3 rollouts
-10 pushups

First thing in the morning. Then was gonna do a quick sandbag session, but one of the kids woke up vomiting and the rest of the morning was downhill from there.
Therefore I owe a sandbag session this evening after work.

5 Likes

Everybody just swimming in vomit these days.

Or Piss :joy:

1 Like

Honestly, I am a little worried about how much you seem to love piss.

Given that piss can also mean alcoholic beverages as in “I am going out on the piss on Friday night” I am sure you are also a fan :joy:

Ok.

Got home and knocked out the sandbag.
5 over shoulder, carry, 5 burpees over bag, repeat. Didn’t time it but I think I’m faster.

7 Likes

50 bss and 50 pushups again. Bare minimums.
Baby ruined all other plans.

5 Likes

1/6/2022
1.1 mile run first, make-up for yesterday when my plan was interrupted.
Then gym:
5 rounds:
-10 bss/side
-1,2,3,4, or 5 reps per side of 85lb DB C&P
-10 pushups

That was interesting! By the last couple rounds, the delay between C&P reps was kinda ruining the intent of the giant set. But still, a lot of good C&P practice. Learned to really push the bell into the side of my neck in the rack position.

Then:
Bunch of core stuff, I’m going to be sore.
A little bit of machine stuff, not worth discussing.

5 Likes

So I got around to reading about your post-surgery return to lifting. Seems like the tendonitis was far worse than the abdominal surgery. If you don’t mind me prying, was your surgery laparoscopic or open?

Laparoscopic, thank god they got to it in time or they would have had to do open!
If you don’t mind me prying, what about yours?
Funny about the tendonitis. It was really, really strange to me that my tendonitis totally crippled me, starting immediately after the recovery from surgery. IIRC I had done the 10000 KB swing challenge shortly before the surgery, and it’s possible that that screwed up my elbow…
Or is it possible that inflammation/systemic stress is like little tiny balls of fire that can just collect in one’s elbow?

Honestly, the whole experience sounds a little traumatic regardless of the technique. Your family worried a lot about you, no? The tendonitis flare is weird to me. I can only guess that your body focused so much on healing from surgery that it could not effectively address the elbow issues simultaneously.

Mine is also laparoscopic.

1 Like

You will probably recover very quickly.
Yeah, my wife and kids were terrified. The worst part wasn’t the surgery. It was going back to the ER the next night because- get this - during surgery, they fill your abdomen with an inert gas to make room to work. This gas gets trapped and migrates through your body. Some gets in your shoulder- ow! Well for me, some got trapped behind my lungs and i couldn’t breathe. It was like breathing with a hot knife in your lung.
O2 level dropped…

Anyway all it takes is time. It eventually leaves your body.

Yeah, I read that the shoulder pain and sore throat can be a little uncomfortable to say the least. Sounds like the medical misfortunes were almost endless for you! Reassuring that you were able to overcome all the mishaps and be way better than before even if the tendonitis aggravated you for a while.

1 Like

1/7
50 pushups, 50 bss
Some sandbag stuff, including a front carry down the street and alternating shoulders carry back. Next time I try this I think I’ll try to make it to the bridge.

7 Likes

1/8 Saturday
50 bss per side, 50 pushups, 18 ab rollouts from knees.

2x20 sandbag squats

Bro circuit in my garage with leg extensions, leg curls, db curls and triceps extensions. Not a ton of work.

7 Likes

Just whipped these up. Future best-selling powerlifting accessories lol.

If its not obvious, they are for ROM progression on deadlift, and/or for block pulls.

11 Likes