A New Animal: JDM135 for 1-2-3-4 plates

He got 5, so probably reeeeaaaal close.

2 Likes

Indeed I missed that lol

Yeah 225 easy peasy

1 Like

Especially if he has that big dude dripping testosterone filled sweat droplets in his mouth while spotting.

3 Likes

LMAO but seriously every time I bench with a spotter it’s like a 10lb bonus. Is it the confidence that I won’t get pinned and die? Is it the fear of shame of failure, motivating me to do better?
IDK but it works. Too bad I can’t put a cardboard cutout of @Cyrrex in my garage and position it right behind me on a squat, and achieve the same effect.

Well you totally can.

There is a psychological effect at least in that a spotter will get you to TRY more than what you might normally do. On the other hand, I almost never use a spotter, and that puts a whole different kind of fear in you.

1 Like

Another very real factor is the improved setup/starting position you have when you get a lift-off. It makes a huge difference.

5 Likes

It is a skill that you need to learn. I find breathing int my belly and making it big and fat when the kids are leaning on it. They things its funny and it’s good practice

3 Likes

1 mile walk Friday afternoon
Partial deck of cards workout

1.1 mile walk carrying baby this morning
1 mile walk later this morning
full deck of cards workout, with wife. Occasional breaks for parenting duties.
ABSOLUTE BRUTALITY.
I had printed out Alsruhe’s Corona Bodyweight program (10/10 recommend) to follow during my week away next week; my wife saw the deck of cards routine and said, “Oh, can we do that together? How about right now?”
Jokers are 2-minute planks, aces 11 reps, face cards 10, everything else is the number.
The suits represent pushups, burpees, split squats (each leg), and getups (I used 15lb DB and wanted to die).

I’m absolutely wiped. My chest is crazy sore, right pec may be a little injured, both glutes are absolutely trashed. A good place to be this weekend.
We’re leaving Tuesday so I’ll need to do solid work Monday and see what I can do Tuesday morning; then it’s BW only for a week - but we won’t be slacking.

8 Likes

@simo74 tomorrow is squat day again. Plan would be to drop 30lbs from my TM and do sets of 5 like 155, 175, 195, 175, 195, 215.
Since I’m going on vacation the next day I’d think its appropriate to go a bit wild. I was thinking 10x10@135 or something along that line, after the main work is done.
You’ve been vocal about staying on program and not doing extra junk volume, any opinion in this circumstance?

1 Like

If you’re going on vacation then do a 20 rep set with 185lb. Assuming 245lb is your 1rm, then ~10 rep max is 185lb.

Edit- I’m just kidding; don’t do that. Ramp up to 185lb and do as many sets of 5 as you want. Make each rep as explosive and powerful as you can make it.

2 Likes

The one widow maker type high rep set at the end isn’t a bad idea.
I have a question for you.
What is the 135 10 x 10 going to do for you ? Why are you adding it ?

If you can answer it and the answer makes sense then go for it.

2 Likes

So wise.
I don’t have a good answer, just that the DW guys do 10x10 and it seems to be working for them. I could justify 5s at 185 more easily. It just seems, on paper, that adding some misery in terms of overall volume before a week away would stimulate some growth during that Time.

Thanks. And thank you too @magick !

1 Like

This is plausible and if you are going to do something that leaves you trashed then before a week off is probably the best time.

1 Like

9/6/21 Monday

Squats
5x135, 155, 175, 195, 175, 195, 215
5x5x185

Bench 5x5x155

Straight arm pulldowns 10x5
Decline situps 5x10
Dips 30, 10, 10

6 Likes

All good man?

1 Like

Thanks for checking. Sitting at my first layover on the way back from the wilderness. Will resume lifting and logging within a couple days. Have been unplugged this week.

4 Likes

Tell us about your wilderness ventures! @wannabe and I have been talking about gear for his upcoming hiking trip.

2 Likes

There are constraints when hiking with children, so it’s not too exciting. My wife and I did cross a boulder field while carrying a 4monthold; I don’t recommend it.
We had some good hikes though, lots of elevation gain.

1 Like

Log update for the past week ish.
Hiked a few miles most days, mostly steep hill work, sometimes carrying a baby.
Did some basic bodyweight work and one mile-ish run with hills (wish I had hills at home!).
Learned that children can be used effectively as dumbbells. I single-arm bench pressed them, that was probably my favorite.

Did one “hotel fitness center” workout this morning. Limited but better than nothing; and was under too much stress to go all-out or anything like that anyway!
Going back to the routine, tomorrow will be 5s pro deads and press. Friday probably back to CW bench and squat volume work, but may revise the schedule before Monday rolls around.

5 Likes

9/15 Wednesday
I’m back.

Warmup elliptical. 10 jumps.

Press 5s pro: 5x45, 65, 85, 100, 115. Easy.

Deadlift 5s pro: 5x135, 205, 235, 265.

Incline bench press 5x10. 95 on first set then 105 for subsequent sets.
Superset with
SLDL 5x10 185.

Captain’s chair leg raises. 30,25.

Good session. Fast.

5 Likes