T Nation

A Move to Secede on California-Oregon Border

(10-05) 04:00 PDT Yreka, Siskiyou County – Some folks around here think the economic sky is falling and state lawmakers in Sacramento and Salem are ignoring their constituents in the hinterlands.

Guess the time is ripe to create a whole new state.

That’s the thinking up here along the border between California and Oregon, where 12 sparsely populated, thickly forested counties in both states want to break away and generate the 51st star on the nation’s flag - the state of Jefferson.

You can see the signs of discontent from Klamath Falls to Dunsmuir, where green double-X “Jefferson State” flags hang in scores of businesses. You can hear the talk of revolution at lunch counters and grocery lines, where people grumble that politicians to the north and south don’t care.

The feeling has always been that liberal LA, San Francisco and the surrounding areas dominate California policy and politics; while those in the North tended to be MUCH more conservative, and often felt “bullied” by the powers in the South.

Right or wrong, that’s been the feeling.

Mufasa

Beautiful country. I’d move there in a heartbeat.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
The feeling has always been that liberal LA, San Francisco and the surrounding areas dominate California policy and politics; while those in the North tended to be MUCH more conservative, and often felt “bullied” by the powers in the South.

Mufasa[/quote]

True. Very true. Of course nothing can come of this. There are conservative pockets in liberal states and liberal pockets in conservative states throughout the country. If all of them that wanted to could form their own states, we’d have hundreds of states in this country, many of them with no more than few thousand people. But the same amount of Senate votes as any real state…

It is interesting that they say they have people that span the political spectrum. But I don’t think this means it makes anymore sense for a couple counties who are unhappy with the status quo to break off and form dozens of new states…

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa

True. Very true. Of course nothing can come of this. There are conservative pockets in liberal states and liberal pockets in conservative states throughout the country. If all of them that wanted to could form their own states, we’d have hundreds of states in this country, many of them with no more than few thousand people. But the same amount of Senate votes as any real state…[/quote]

It would certainly change the political map with respect to the electoral college.

Other than the cost, I think it would be a good thing to dilute the power, be it red or blue states.

It might force politicians to actually work for the people again.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa

True. Very true. Of course nothing can come of this. There are conservative pockets in liberal states and liberal pockets in conservative states throughout the country. If all of them that wanted to could form their own states, we’d have hundreds of states in this country, many of them with no more than few thousand people. But the same amount of Senate votes as any real state…

It would certainly change the political map with respect to the electoral college.

Other than the cost, I think it would be a good thing to dilute the power, be it red or blue states.

It might force politicians to actually work for the people again.

[/quote]

That part of it’s true. Tt would increase accountability. But you really think it would be good or workable for dozens of very small states to spring up?

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
That part of it’s true. Tt would increase accountability. But you really think it would be good or workable for dozens of very small states to spring up?[/quote]

I don’t know what you r definition of “very small” is. But I have long thought that Texas should be split into 2 or 3 smaller states.

This sort of thing will probably become more common as technology makes people more and more independent. Like minded individuals will get sick of being told how to live whether it be taxes, laws or lifestyle.

There was a free-state libertarian movement a while back. They wanted to move a bunch of libertarians to an already libertarian state to make it even more so. They chose New Hampshire hoping to create a large enough voting block to really control elections there and change policy to be more hands-off. Not sure how it worked out.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
That part of it’s true. Tt would increase accountability. But you really think it would be good or workable for dozens of very small states to spring up?

I don’t know what you r definition of “very small” is. But I have long thought that Texas should be split into 2 or 3 smaller states.

[/quote]

Texas is a huge state. Seems like the would-be state of Jefferson would be pretty small in population and geography. Some would-be states would probably be even smaller. I can see some positives. But the whole idea just seems really goofy to me. I don’t really see much likelihood of it ever happening, but I feel like there’d be a lot of unforeseen consequences we can’t really imagine right now if it did.