40 creeping. comeback

Today’s tangram: keto-edition

I have about 200 cals of “flex” in there, so if I can hold off until the evening, I might get 2oz of cheese with my dinner!

1 Like

Had a 4500cal burned day yesterday, with 2750 consumed. Dropped another lb, down to 188 this AM. Haven’t pissed positive on a keto strip yet (this is day 6). No workout this morning because my body is shot from moving 1000’s of lbs of materials yesterday. I’ve cut back on my Brussels sprout consumption… From 400g/day down to 60g/day… There really is no such thing as food that you can eat with impunity, is there?

1 Like

I’ve got a recipie for ya. Keto lava cake…

Mix it until fluffy pour in a ramacan and bake at 325-350 8-12 minutes.

We whip heavy cream to top it off and it is unreal how good this flourless cake is.

1 Like

Thank you for that…Making it tonight!!

1 Like

185.5 this morning. Thinking its time to yoyo back to mini-bulk :slight_smile:

1 Like

Keto is deceptive with weight loss. You lose 6-10 early with water loss and glycogen depletion and look “flat”. Then when you go back carb it pops right back up…just keep that in mind.

188 this AM. Still no positive on the ketone piss strips… Trace with one brand, nothing with the other. I’m a little flummoxed over this. I have progressively gotten more aggressive about eliminating carbs. I have stopped eating cashews, sriracha, Brussels sprouts, and broccoli (by the lb anyway). Here is my nutrition for the past week+

AM pre workout: chia seeds, flax seeds, shredded coconut, soaked with heavy cream and coconut milk. Maybe a 1/4 scoop protein in there for taste.
Am post workout: 3 eggs, 1TB almond flour, 1TB coconut flour, 7g bacon fat or ghee, 28g corned beef.
Lunch 1: 1/2 can tuna in olive oil (including oil), 1 avocado, 1 cup spinach, 28g sliced pickled spicy peppers.
Lunch 2: 28g macadamia nuts, 7g 100% cacao chocolate
Lunch 3: pruvit keto OS max exogenous ketones
Lunch 4: same as lunch 1
Lunch 5: 12g chia seeds, 12g flax seeds, soaked in coconut milk and heavy cream
Dinner: 3-5oz meat (usually tri-tip sirloin, Mahi Mahi, corned beef, other grass fed beef, etc), 1 cup Brussels sprouts or 2 cups spinach.
Pre-bed: 2tbsp nut butter, 1TB chia seeds, 1 TB flax seeds, OR 15g soy lecithin with 1 scoop of whey isolate (1g carb)- if my macros call for the additional protein.

This is an average day. Macros look like:
145g protein 28%
165g Fat 65%
37g carbs. 7%

As I have been dialing in, The past 2 days look more like:
136g P 21%
216gF 73%
40gC 6%

2500-2850kcal/day
TDEE 3000-3200kcal
6’2 188lbs AM weight
12-14%BF(?) pics:

https://forums.t-nation.com/uploads/short-url/loCsbLggKmH2C4AUaFRBuGJxlA2.jpeg

My assumption is that my carbs are still too high, and possibly my protein as well. I am aiming for as low of carbs as possible, all my carbs are from nuts/seeds/leafy greens. DO I need to increase the straight fat? Today I’m eating nut butter mixed with coconut oil in an attempt to keep carbs at absolute minimum, for experimentation’s’ sake.
What do you guys think? @losthog @mertdawg @KennyCrox @JamesBrawn007 @robstein

I have 2 packs of Keto piss-strips. One package was opened 6+ months ago (the package says they are no good after 3…) and they never detect any ketones. I have another pack that is brand new, and that one shows me in “trace” most mornings. I am supplementing with exogenous ketones (got them for free, so why not?) and I still get nothing.

I have a ketone blood tester that I have the opportunity to purchase at a significant discount, but I don’t know if I should pull the trigger or not.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this.

1 Like

@dchris is someone else with some keto experience.

Just wondering:
Is there a reason you are trying so hard to be in ketosis?
Is your energy really low with the lack of carbs?
Has your fat loss stalled?

I’ve had plenty of success on a high fat/high protein/low carb diet, I’m assuming I wasn’t in Ketosis, but I lost fat and at a minimum maintained my strength. I’m considering doing that again for the month of April to expedite my fat loss. Brian Alsruhe and Jon Anderson are two examples of people who eat a high protein/high fat diet without ever mentioning the “K” word!

3 Likes

I’m gonna suggest two things then give you something to consider.

It is possible that protein is too high. Higher than .7 g per LBM can cause glycogenisis and result in no ketone production. ( I think my last keto cycle was this way my ketones would show strong then disappear. I was eating 1g or 1+ per BW).

Make sure you are calculating net carbs not gross carbs… (total carb- fiber= net carb).

I read somewhere that any trace on the stick is a positive ketone reading. If it turns at all ketone is present.

It is possible that your body is consuming all the ketones made and you will never see deep purple on the stick.

How long have you been below 30g net? This diet is very strict until full adaptation takes place. After you are in for 2-3 weeks you can raise ever so slightly the carbs to check whet your personal limits are.

You are measuring everything. That was the most successful keto for me. Everything hit the scale that went in my mouth other than water or coffee.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses guys…

CHRIS!.. any ideas, buddy? I would have given you the @ but I figure you would see this anyway, as a regular here :slight_smile:

for the lulz :slight_smile: No, but seriously… I want to see what all the fuss is about. I consider my existence to be a living-experiment, and I’ve tried just about everything (raw-vegan to greenface). My self-control and dietary-discipline are both on-point, so I figure: why not try it?

It WAS, but only for the first few days. The exogenous Ketones definitely help with that.

From a tactical perspective: yes. Strategic perspective: No.

I did this for over a year, last year. It definitely worked for me, but I wanted to see if “true ketosis” would work even better. I’m planning on cycling between High Fat/High protein and Ketosis, if I ever manage to get there. I also may try adding-in carb-ups (single meals, or at most, days). Again: living experiment. I just want to try all the tools available. I also am fascinated by the research that shows that yoyo dieting is the most effective. I want to figure out what ratio of time “on”/time "off is best.

I think this is very possibly my situation.

Yes, I’m using net carb #'s.

I also think this may be possible. I’m still suprised that the exogenous ketones aren’t “spiking” my piss.

I struggle to get at or below 30g net. I have been more like 35-40 net. I think this may also be preventing ketosis.

Story of my life. I can’t eat anything without measuring it first. Ive been this way for going-on 2 years. I pre-prep all my meals for the day except dinner, and I have pre-planned my day’s nutrition by 9am every day.

3 Likes

Mark Bell (love him or hate him) has a great podcast with a keto expert I listened to yesterday. It provided me with a deeper insight to keto and I had read a ton previously. It was his last ever pod cast #250. I think the pod cast date was in February.

1 Like

I’ll check that out, thanks!

This is the only way to effectively test your levels. Yes, the strips are expensive but they are useful for setting a baseline.

Based on your macros, and the fact you are taking exogenous ketones, you should certainly be in ketosis.

Regarding protein consumption, don’t get too wound up by this. This is a keto diet for athletes not epilepsy patients. Your protein intake should be around 0.8-1.0g per lbs of lean bodyweight.

I can tell you, I’ve had my highest meter readings while on a PSMF, i.e. eating virtually nothing but protein and yet testing at 0.9mmol. So the statement that protein is gluconeogenic is patently false.

1 Like

Today’s tangram:

2 servings of chia pudding (12g chia seeds, 10g flax seeds, 15g heavy cream, 4g cinnamon bun protein powder, 15g coconut butter, 65g water, salt)
14g macadamia nuts, 14g unsweetened chocolate.
3oz tri-tip stroganoff
2 servings of bacon broccoli cheddar frittata; (total of 2 servings: 3 eggs, 15g bacon, 1oz cheddar, 115g broccoli) over 60g spinach with Tabasco.
1 packet of exogenous ketones

1 Like

I’ve got some ideas, but might take me until tonight before I have a moment.

2 Likes

Went to a potluck party yesterday and wound-up eating meatballs, chicken wings, cheese, salami, and almonds. Came home and scarfed down a bunch of coconut butter and chia pudding. I was sure that I was well over cals for the day. Woke up this morning at 187 and feeling tight… Sweat a bunch last night… Thermic effect of food?

I made keto biscuits and gravy this morning.

I’ve got bone-in NY strip in the sous vide since 10am. They will be spoon tender by dinner. Planning to make some creamed spinach to go with it.

Trained on Friday with partner. Did squats for the first time in I-Don’t-know-how-long (when I injured my lower back). Top set was 185x10. Felt solid. My Hammies and glutes are sore 2 days later.

Today is a low-day caloricly… Aiming for under 2500 with TDEE over 3100. I’m in the process of prepping for our cross-country move. Also attempting to prep our OR house for short-term rentals, so plenty to do!

3 Likes

You shred fast. Solid beard aesthetics.

1 Like

RE: Keto Sticks - They measure the acetoacetate levels, which are not used to determine your level of ketosis. The piss sticks can be an indicator if you’re in or not, but I wouldn’t put any weight to your blood ketone levels. What you need to test is your Betahydroxybuterate levels, which can only be tested via blood test.

Your protein or carbs could be too high. When I first started in keto, I had net carbs at less than 10-15 grams. I also kept protein at or around 20%. I then increased protein up to, I believe, a high at 28%. Much more than that and I wouldn’t stay in keto.

I’ve read somewhere, I believe from Peter Attia, that some people will be knocked out of keto, temporarily, from sweet flavors. Whether that is water flavoring, sugar alcohol, stevia, etc. I believe CT has stated that as well.

Interesting anecdote, but not sure how you can confidently say that given experts disagree.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time, @dchris Good info. How did you keep net carbs under 20g!? I seem to hit 30 everyday, no problem, eating classic keto food (nuts (coconut, macadamia, almonds), unsweetened chocolate, spinach, avocados, and minuscule amounts of protein powder.) What did your daily menu look like? Brussels sprouts have 5g carbs (net) per 60g cooked serving! I was eating, before keto, upwards of 10 servings/day. It feels like I can’t eat vegetables due to thier carb content, now that I’m actually trying to limit net carbs to under 30… Do I just eat meat and oil/fat for a week to kick ketosis into high gear?

I have to say: I can totally maintain my current level of keto-commitment for the foreseeable future; I really like the nuts, cheese, coconut butter, etc. But I wonder how my body would do with a carb-up every 2 weeks. I’m craving those Belgian waffles now and then. Not sure if it would be beneficial or self-defeating/indulgent. I don’t want to set myself back a week for just one day of carbs. And keto-flu sucked, though I suspect I also had a legit cold. :joy:

2 Likes

Woke at 189 today and feeling tight. Very sore chest from training 2 days ago. I did pronated grip flys, flat db bench, pec deck, and tri rope… Still feeling it. Yesterday was back: face pulls, close grip rows, bent over laterals, and standing db curls. Today was: front plate raises, db ohp (40x10 & 45lbs x 5, PR), tri-rope (75x7 2018 PR, not all-time), and db overhead extensions.

Diet has been on point. Ate my way through a batch of keto cookies in a little over 24hrs. Have been at or below 2500kcals for the past 3 days. Today is a warehouse day, so my TDEE should be higher than usual. I’ve really been digging the chia puddings. I put homemade coconut butter in it, (8g coco butter, 12g chia, 15g heavy cream, 6g flax seeds, 4g vanilla protein, salt) and I wake up craving it.

Starting to feel a little more peeled:

3 Likes