40 creeping. comeback

First time, or no?

@dchris I did what I thought was keto about 2 years ago, but it was really just high fat with low-gi-carb. I ate oatmeal almost every morning, and averaged 100gC/day. I did it for almost a year and a half, so I got used to not eating starches with every meal… Love me some nuts, cheese, and Avos! This time will be the first time that I actually hit really low carbs. Also, last time I was not eating at a defecit, my daily average was roughly 3200kcals @ 205lbs. I’m going to cycle carbs in once or twice a week and see how that treats me. I have a few servings of exogenous ketones to add to the mix as well. So far this week I am down 7lbs!(?)! Picked up quite a bit of water with my MKBulk!

1 Like

Cool, definitely interested to see how it goes for you.

I didn’t realize you did MK too. How long did you use it for? Feel like it was worth it?

The first 7-10 lbs off will be glycogen depletion and water loss

1 Like

I used it for almost a year straight… I’m not completely convinced that it did anything other than make me incredibly hungry… Before MK, I would struggle to put down 3200 cals of clean food… During and after MK, I could eat 3800-4200 eaaaaaassssy. When I first started taking it, I used to get so hungry in the AMs that I would feel week after climbing a flight of stairs (I used to describe it as having my stomach drop out… It would be INTENSE hunger pains to the point that I would have to stop cooking breakfast and just concentrate on standing). I seem to have built up a tolerance that stayed around even after 6-9months off (not sure on the exact number, I kinda forgot about the stuff until recently), because it doesn’t do that to me anymore. Now when I take it I am just always thinking about more food. It’s easy to eat myself to a state of discomfort, like having the munchies in high school. It kinda makes me irritable because there is never a period of satiation post-meal. If I take a day or two off, it’s like things go “back to normal” and I’m not as apt to overeat (or obsess over the next meal). I have attempted, and failed, to go calorie-restricted while dosing MK… That takes some serious willpower that I currently lack.

1 Like

193 this morning… Day 2 of real keto. I took exogenous ketones yesterday around 11am, and today at 5am (pre workout). I like them… No “keto fog/flu” during the adaptation period! I felt no carb cravings yesterday, whereas lately I have been craving rice/potatoes/quinoa every hour on the hour. I am quite pleased with my cut-progress thus far:

on the left is today (193), on the right is 13 days ago (200). I’m not irritable or lethargic, and feel like I can sustain this pretty indefinitely, although the plan is for another week of cut, then 2 weeks of MK-lean-bulk, followed by more cut. It’s more of an experiment than anything; it seems that everytime I cut I get leaner, easier, than the last cut… I’m going to see if I can use that to my advantage. My other thought is to continue cutting for the month of March (on keto), but have weekly high-carb refeeds. I may wait until April to experiment with that.

3 Likes

What Exogenous Keto supplement are you using? I always put them in my cart, but never order.

I had the same hunger issues, but moving dosage to pre-dinner. Seems to help drastically.

I’m 14 days in now and feel like there’s a very noticeable difference. My body doesn’t hurt as much and I get really good pumps without changing my training style.

1 Like

I am fortunate in that I have access to a HYUGE variety of supps, at very little cost…(I’ll post a pic of some of the bins later today!) The 2 days so far have been pruvit keto os charged… Next 2 days I’m going to try ketologic meal replacement. If I didn’t get these on the super-cheap, I would have a hard time pulling the trigger, especially on the pruvit… They reccomend 2 servings/day… That’s over $10/day in ketones! I’ll let you know next time I get more in if you are interested.

1 Like

I actually kinda miss the extreme-hunger thing! Made me feel alive, in a strange-you-are-starving-to-death kind of way :joy:

I’ve only ever dosed in the AM, empty stomach, 30 mins before consuming anything else.

1 Like

I actually got a little concerned when I had absolutely gorged myself to the point it was hard to walk comfortably, THEN stopped for 3 candy bars cause, hungry.

Yea… taking at night is great.

1 Like

Today’s tangram (this is what calorie-restricted- keto looks like):
1 can tonno tuna in olive oil (used oil for dressing on–> ) 100g avocado.
Leftover turkey/bacon frittata.
28g mixed nuts, 28g macadamia nuts, 7g unsweetened baking chocolate.
1 Kirkland low-carb protein bar (quest clone).
Washed down with copious amounts of espresso and green tea.
Gotta stop at Freddy’s and pick up some salad mix or spinach to throw the tuna/avo over.

Assuming I stick to the plan, today I will hit 62%fat, 28% protein, 10% carbs (from broccoli, nuts, and leafy greens)

Gotta find a way to trim a few cals off and get under 2450… Probably coming off of the prebed shake.

1 Like

I strive for accuracy in my food-logging, so I like to do experiments/measurements to determine the nutrition profile of foods. Often I can get nutrition #s for raw food, but not the equivalent cooked. Sometimes I just don’t trust the cooked numbers and I want to find the raw-to-cooked conversion. Tonight I am mission Brussels sprouts. I’ll include some cooking pointers here as well. I bought a 5lb bag from the food service store where I get big bags of avocados, and my wife came home from Costco with another 4lbs… Sooooo I had some prep cooking to do :slight_smile: good thing I LOVE Brussels sprouts.

Disclaimer: you may like them cooked differently; this is not an end-all-be-all, just a guide to the way that I like them!

Brussels Sprouts, the basics:
-Cut off the stalk-end of the sprout, about 1/4".

-Split them in half lengthwise.

-Toss them (halved-sprouts and loose leaves) in a big mixing bowl with olive oil. I use 14g oil for every 600g of sprouts. This translates to 2g olive oil per cooked serving (see below).

-Do not season. If you add spices in the beginning, by the time your sprouts are cooked, your spices will be burned.

-Do not add salt. Salt will draw out moisture from your vegetables during the cooking process and cause them to be dried out.

-spread them out on a “half” sheet pan… (I put half in quotes because it is the largest size that will fit in a home oven… “Full” sheet pans are pretty much for professional settings only.) The amount of sprouts you food you put on the sheet pan is important, because if you crowd the sprouts they will not brown as well. Instead they will have a tendency to steam. I like about 600g sprouts/pan, give or take 50g. I also cannot reccomend silpats enough. They will make the food brown better, and cleanup is much easier. If you don’t know about silpats: they are fiberglass and silicone mats that you line pans with.

-flip them so all the cut sides are down.

-roast at 375 F for 17mins. 395 if you are cooking 2 pans at a time. If I’m cooking 1, I put a rack on the bottom slot of the oven and cook the solo pan on the bottom slot for the entire time. If cooking 2, I do one in the top slot, one in the bottom, switching them halfway through cooking. The lower slot will brown the flat sides of the sprouts better, the top slot will brown the tops, but not the flat sides. Switching them will ensure even cooking.

-check them after the 17 mins. They should still be vibrant green, and the flat sides should just start to have lightly browned:

Add seasoning, (I salt at the end of cooking) I like this one:

I usually check them every 2 minutes after this. I’m looking for well-browned flats.

The 2-6 minutes with the seasoning on them will wake-up the spices… Crucial to complex flavor.
After they are sufficiently browned, put them back in the bowl and toss with 2-3G of salt. I like my sprouts salty like fries. I either pour them back on the pan to cool at room temp, or serve them right away while crispy.
Finished roasting:

A 1 cup serving of raw sprouts is 85g. I cooked 605g, so 7.11 servings, with 14g oil, yielding, on average, 425g of cooked/oiled sprouts.

425 divided by our 7.11 servings gives us about 60g, with about 2g being oil.
This reflects net carbs, with fiber not counted on the carb count.
7lbs roasted Brussels sprouts:

These will be gone in 3 days… Mark my words.

4 Likes

Excellent break down man!

1 Like

192.5 this morning. My old workout partner finally decided to start showing-up again, (2 days in a row!)… Hopefully this continues and I can have more consistencies in my training. Today was press day, hit seated OHDBP for 40x6, which is a PR for me. I hate shoulder work with a passion, so I need to do more of it.

Today is day 3 of attempted keto diet. I hit my goal yesterday of 2450, with 65% fat. Yesterday:

Today I am aiming for lower cals and protein; a lot of the research I see suggests 0.8g/lb of LEAN MASS… Not /lb body wieght. I’m going to push fats higher and see how it treats me. Going for aim for 135gP, as little carbs as possible.

Last night I suffered very mild headaches, lethargy, and general malaise. This maybe due to keto-flu, or lack of electrolytes. I will have some broth tonight with dinner, and I’m moving my exogenous ketone supplement to the afternoon (instead of yesterday 5am). This may alternately be due to real sickness, as I have had a sore throat prebed, and upon waking, for the past week, and today I was coughing up green loogs.

Today’s pre workout was 1 scoop whey isolate with 50g coconut milk. Also in a seperate cup: 12g citruline mallate, 2.5g beta alanine, 5g Creatine. Washed down with an espresso.

I have decided, after more research, that a cyclical keto diet (or refeeds or carb cheat days) is not in my best interest, as the body adapts to keto even better over time, and the break from keto will just slow that process. So I am in it for at least a month, maybe two. I may do a keto mini-bulk in the next week… We shall see.

Today’s tangram:

1 can (2 servings) yellowfin tuna in olive oil, drained over 1.5 avocados, with cilantro, sriracha, lime, and hot pepper relish. I will serve that over:
3 mixed greens salads.
28g macadamia nuts, 28g mixed nuts, 7g unsweetened (100%) chocolate.
1 ketologic MRP (exogenous ketones) to help with keto-flu)
120g (2 servings) of roasted Brussels with sriracha.

Today’s post workout breakfast:

3 dippy eggs over 1 cup of spinach, with 2 slices of pork sausage, half an avocado, generous helping of sauerkraut, and daves insanity sauce.

Takes 2-3 weeks to fully keto adapt. At that point your bowel movements will no longer be yellow (unprocessed fats). They will get vey dark and you may experience a body dump of pure nasty sludge type bms.

You will get strange breath and body Oder. Smells and taste metallic or like (hard to describe but you will notice).

Your workouts will go from struggles and sluggish to explosive and never seem to run out of energy.

Best way to identify ketosis on the cheap is keto pee sticks. They are used by diabetics to check ketone levels in urine streams.

And until you become keto adapted, do not cycle keto. Good luck.

If you get cramps salt your food more and take magnesium.

2 Likes

Got em! anxiously awaiting a positive!

yummy!

My kids say I already have that… :slight_smile:

Thank you, and thanks for the info! Is this from personal experience?

Yes. I was full keto from May 2017-sept 2017 last year lost 50lbs.

I lifted keto.

I bulked carbs and went back to keto and didn’t have the same experience. My keto adaptation was much quicker the second time around…(7 days)

1 Like

My experience is that the adaption period is directly related to your carb intake immediately proceeding entering keto. In other words, if you gorge yourself before with sugar, it is difficult for you body to adapt quickly.

1 Like

190 this morning! Dem love handles be meltin’ and thos ab vains startin to pop :slight_smile: 10lbs in 15 days with 2450 daily cals, down from 3200… Gonna let this ride for awhile and see where it takes me.

Did squats for the first time in forever… Low weight, higher reps. Working sets were 135x15.

Tried full-stop meadows-rows today instead of my usual rapid db rows. Change of pace was good, I seemed to feel it more in my middle lat, where usually I feel it in the rear of my shoulder-lat ties-arms.

Keto breakfast this morning was gooooood:

4 Likes