40 creeping. comeback

I thought you might like this. If you’re not familiar, Jonathan Pageau is a stone carver, sculptor who talks about symbols and imagery in religion and myth. Best of luck with your training.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, and taking the time to post it here; that was a great synopsis, in my opinion. I hadn’t heard of him before, but I will be watching his other videos now! Have an awesome week!!

1 Like

190 this morning, down 2lbs from yesterday. I was forced to do a fasted training session this morning because I forgot to set my alarm last night and woke up just as my training partner was pulling into the driveway. I delayed long enough to make a tea, and slam it, before hitting the weights. After reading @MarkKO 's log, I liked his technique of lower-weight leg extensions supersetted with squats, so I hit that up today. Had a great case of the Elvis-legs afterwards. My #'s were nothing to brag about: leg extension 50x20ish + squat 185x8. I’m really working on mobility and flexibility over moving more weight at the moment. I watched Jay Nera’s “beyond the basics” video on squat technique, and I am trying to focus on a “quiet” upper body, as if I am an elavator. Combining this with bringing my knees to my armpits, instead of just “knees-out!”. The knees-to-armpits focus really activates more of the center of my quads, instead of just the sides, which is what I have been finding when focusing on knees-out. Hope that made sense, I’m quite the rookie when it comes to squats/deads. I’ve only had a barbell since mid-July! :joy:

As for nutrition/diet/supps:
Yesterday was 2750kcal, 250P, 100F, 204C.
I’ve been off MK677 for a month(?)… May be time to cycle back on. I’ve been off Creatine for awhile also, may be time to bring that back. I want to stay under 200 morning weight, but I know that I need to gain weight in order to gain muscles. I’ll post up a pic of today’s tangram ASAP… Ran out of spinach/spring mix on Tuesday, so yesterday and today’s “bulkers” will consist of 2lbs of steamed broccoli… I love the stuff, but at that volume, I tend to offend with my gaseous releases. My wife keeps thinking our toddler shat himself…

Happy Thursday, t-nation!

3 Likes

Today’s tangram:

You really seem have that meticulous approach that the successful bodybuilders possess. Keep putting weight on that bar and good weight on your frame and you will have a very enviable physique in the not to distant future IMO.

1 Like

Thank you sir, that’s a huge encouragement and I appreciate it greatly!

1 Like

194 yesterday, 191 today. Had an alright session training today. Snows-a-comin… Getting to ski tomorrow and monday!

Woke up this morning at 191, pre-evac.

Had two days on my favorite kind of cardio:

Got 9.5 hrs of sleep last night and woke up very refreshed!

Today’s tangram:

4 Likes

194 this morning, feeling a little flubby.

However… I did hit another solid PR this morning on deadlifts; I’m finally feeling like I’m in somewhat respectable territory. Last week my Max was 275x3. This morning I hit 280x3, then 290x1. I predicted 300 by NYE, now I’m thinking I’ll hit it by Dec.1.

Also, my training partner brought these over:

Previously I was limited to 10, 15, 25 & 35lb Dumbbells. This will help with progressing DB ohp, curls, raises, etc. being able to apply incremental increases makes progressing much easier, as opposed to 10lb increases.

1 Like

Lance Armstrong/Myplate is conspiring to F with me…
Let me explain:

Back in this post: 40 creeping. comeback - #17 by FatKidfromFL I had discovered that the calorie count on my Siggis was off by a large margin (450 instead of 140/serving).

Well today I noticed that, once again, the kcal/serving count is off. Here’s a screenshot:

Notice it is 100kcals/serving. Move forward to last week:

Wtf? I did not edit it, and it is a manually-created food item, so it’s not as if the barcode database is changing the #s. I’m super-annoyed because I am meticulous in my diet approach, and I have been screwed-over by random off-calorie-counts a handful of times (that I’ve caught). I’m thinking about switching to myfitnesspal.

Tangram of the day (minus a lb of spinach I’m picking up on my way to the office):

One of my favorite foods these days is a salad topped with the leftovers from breakfast… Spinach topped with scrambled eggs and sausage. Amazing. Simple. Low carb. Great cold.

1 Like

Myplate is conspiring against me, again…
Today’s nutrition profile for my manually entered siggis:

Notice it has doubled in kcals since yesterday. Now
A serving is 280 kcals… Yesterday, before my correction, it was 67! W-T-everloving-F?

Today’s tangram:

I was 190.5 this morning, pre-evac. Felt tight and not overly flubby for the first time in awhile. I took 5g of Creatine this morning before my workout; I’m expecting to see some gainz :wink:

Back under 190 this morning! 189.5 and feeling tighter… It only took 4 hrs of warehouse work to make it happen. I’ve noticed how key the activity part of the equation is… If I’m moving for a good chunk of the day, I get tighter… Even if I eat more. Yesterday I hit 3050 kcals (272P,136F,191C), which would typically be a surplus, yet it resulted in an obvious loss. I’ve been in the office for he past week, and despite my best efforts, it is waaaayy more sedentary than either the warehouse, or mountain. I’ve figured out that just like the weekly caloric intake is more important than any single day, so too is the weekly energy expenditure more important than any single day’s activities. I need to bring my weekly average activity up in order to maintain leanness.

2 Likes

Woah, 10 days away… Long time no update!

191 this morning. I hurt my back doing deadlifts last week; messed up my hips/lower back last Tuesday. I think I f’d up when I tried to “finish” the lift, by bringing shoulders back and chest out, butt-in, and over-arched my back. When I went to put it down, I felt a compression/slight pain in the top of my ass/hips. Things got progressively tighter for 4 days, and have since relaxed. I’ve been a little looser with the diet for a number of reasons, but still feeling pretty good about progress. I’ve got a bit more fat around my lower back and the size 33’s were tight last night, but I was feeling very bloated and stopped-up, and have since taken not one, but two, quality-shits. It seems like no matter how much fiber I eat, I am not nearly as regular as I was while low-carb.

My partner bailed this morning, so I got a rest-day.

Work has been crazy, in a great way. It’s amazing when the amount of money you make is directly tied to the amount of time/effort you are willing to put into making it… It’s like ripe-fruit hanging from the trees; you just need to put out some effort and pick it while it’s ripe, because it won’t be there next week. That is one of my favorite things about working for myself.

I got to ski on Thursday before the rains came… Farmed powder for 3 hours. Avg heart rate was under 80. Also hiked 2 miles, 400 ft vert, with a 28lb kid on my back; heart rate was, again, under 80.

1 Like

Today’s lunch tangram:

1 Like

I’m currently suffering from this at the moment as well! Hoping for a slightly faster recovery time though!

1 Like

@littlesleeper Sorry to hear that you are hurt too! Take it easy; Here’s hoping to a speedy recovery!

1 Like

One thing that interests me a bit, is how you hiked with your 28 lb child up ~400 ft or so, seemingly fine. But just one little “forced form” while deadlifting results in a slight injury. Obviously they are completely different movements, but wondering if you thought about “form much” during the hike? Like doing anything potentially “excessive” with your posture? Or did you just hike and really not think about it at all? Though, probably thought about it regardless because your back was recently hurt. It’s just interesting to me how we often force certain “forms” when it comes to training (lifting, running, sprinting, etc) and such, especially “out of nowhere”, ie “let me try hyper extending at the top of a DL” or “locking out very forcefully at the end of a squat”… kinda just out of nowhere, maybe related to something we saw on youtube or in another journal etc.

Hope it’s nothing and just a small tweak, DL is notorious for that. I’ve had a few myself which all luckily got better - but ya that stuff can get scary.

peace!

fortunately my back wasn’t so bad that it precluded skiing or hiking… The only thing that really sucked was getting out of bed and getting into my car, lol! I have been hiking with kids on my back (in an external frame pack) for almost 5 years. Literally hundreds of miles. I don’t think about posture much when hiking. When my daughter still fit in the pack (she’s the older one), I would hike with her on my back and the younger boy, in a carrier, on my chest. 75lbs combined weight! I think the reason for the injury in deadlifts is twofold: 1) lack of experience (5 months vs 5 years) and 2) sheer amount of weight (255lbs)creating compression on my spine and (over-)loading my stabilizing muscles. I was aware of my shoulders not being “back” and my traps not feeling flexed, on my first rep (F you, YouTube-form-videos!)… So on the second rep I made a conscious decision to stick my chest out. I think I momentarily lost awareness of my core and allowed for my lower back to hyperextend. When I started letting it back down I could feel that my form was off. Like anything: you can overthink it. I did for sure. My best deadlifts have been when I just reach down and pull that shit up.

I think we will be hitting DLs in the AM; we will see how it goes!

1 Like

I soloed yesterday due to a no-show on the part of my partner. Wound up hitting db press pretty hard and woke up sore for the first time in I-don’t-know-how-long! Especially sore were my biceps, which I used while setting down the DBs from a seated position on the bench, real slow like a reverse-curl.

Woke up this morning @ 192.5ish.

That’s consistently over 190 for the past 2 weeks. Yesterday was med-high carbs, 2850kcals, 248P, 95F, 258C. Today was more of the same: 2800, 245P, 107F, 200C. We will see what tomorrow brings.
This morning I finally got back to DLs after a one week! + 2 day break after a minor back-tweak last Tuesday. I felt good and strong today. I could definitely tell what I did wrong last session that resulted in my injury, and I was able to fix my form and not repeat it today. Worked up to 255x3, and left some on the table for next time.

Tonight’s thanksgiving dinner was one of my favorite meals; I made a huge batch of gumbo:

Must’ve done something right because it’s only 7:35 and I can hardly keep my eyes open; nodded off twice while typing this.
Good night TNation and happy thanksgiving!

3 Likes