T Nation

a.m. Wt training/p.m. Cardio

Due to family and work obligations, I am now getting up at 4:30 am to get in my training. I get back home at about 5:40 (5minutes from gym,short drive) and beging to fix breakfast for two kids, get myself ready to be at work at 7:15 am along with getting my wife to work at a separate school (both teachers). I am in a cutting cycle and really only notice results with added cardio. My question is about when cardio time would fit into this equation. I have a recumbent bike and a treadmill at home and will try to get it in early evening. I know all of the articles praising the effectiveness of a.m. cardio on an empty stomach but right now it is not feasable. My off days are Wed,Sat,and Sun from weight training. Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether or not this schedule will work or not (cardio in the eve.) again I cannot work out after work due to family and other commitments. Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

Well if you really want to keep all that muscle you gained before your cutting phase I would suggest only doing cardio on your days off. You said were Wed, Sat and Sun. Most people get carried away with cardio to begin with. There is not much difference doing 20 running and 20 Weight training. Both can elevate your Heart Rate as much as the other. Just depending on how you train. So you can get a go cardiovascular work-out doing weights. Dont over do it and keep what muscle you have. I know what it is like to have minimal time so take advantage of what little time you do have. Only do your cardio on your non weight days. Remember save some time for family time as well. We need them also. Good luck.

Rick, thanks for your reply. My a.m. wt. training right now is 8x8 (along the lines that was laid out in Ironman). What do you think about post-wt. training Surge.