T Nation

A.M / P.M Lifting?

guys, been training for about 3 years so consider myself fairly tried and tested over various programmes etc. Now im at college and am laying off the drink for a while so got plenty of free time. Just wondering what some of you think is the better option, training first thing in the morning (i.e starting the session within an hour and a half of waking up) or training later in the day, like late afternoon. Or how about smack in the middle- at midday? I know every individual is different and has their own preferences but id be interested to know what you think as i am warming to the idea of A.M training but unsure about its pros/cons.

Cheers guys!

My morning isn’t exactly the same as other’s morning. So I’ll call it first thing. If I don’t get the workout done first thing, then I risk it not getting done. This seems to be the only way I can insure it happens. Even though I work nights, I can’t seem to get the same results in the evening.

[quote]911 Girl wrote:
My morning isn’t exactly the same as other’s morning. So I’ll call it first thing. If I don’t get the workout done first thing, then I risk it not getting done. This seems to be the only way I can insure it happens. Even though I work nights, I can’t seem to get the same results in the evening.[/quote]

I’m the same way. My wife and I are up at 4, at the gym by 5, and done by 6:15. She goes to work and I go home to get the kids up, etc… I’m at work by 9AM.

If I don’t do it first thing, it’s not going to happen. I’ve thought about moving the workout to the afternoon, but my days are so much better after a good morning at the gym. I miss it on my days off.

There doesn’t seem to be a concensus on lifting in the AM, but everyone agrees that AM cardio is good. I have found that the gym is pretty empty except for some really dedicated people at 5 in the morning. This is very helpful.

The big issue that I have found is nutrition. I have to eat before my workout, and my body is in a state of depletion first thing in the morning, so I have a shake to try to satisfy both AM and Pre WO needs. Something like a Classic Grow! shake with some oatmeal is a good place to start. If you find yourself lagging at the end of the workout, then up your oatmeal.

Make sure you have the Post WO nutrition lined out. You are still coming from a depleted state in the morning (even with the pre-shake), and your body is primed to use whatever you give it.

One other thing that I do is have some protein pudding just before bed. There are recipes around here for it, but it’s a scoop of Low Carb Grow! (or your favorite 100%), a TBSP of PB and a little milk for consistency. This has also made my workouts better in the morning. And it tastes like a reeses.

Oh yeah, the cons of working out early. Having to go to bed by 9 to make sure that I get enough sleep. The kids hate that. :slight_smile: Is that a con?

-folly

I agree with the above though it more of the case of being more optimal for me. I simply perform better starting my day with a w/o. My w/o’s suffer if I do thme late in the day.

Plus, While yes they wipe me out, they still charge me up for the day. Might be something to do with the anaerobic work boosting dopamine levels I do beleive. Also seems as I am not as sore having the whole day ahead of me to be active walikng etc… instead of hitting the weights then just relaxing and sleeping. That seems to lead to MAJOR soreness 4 me

Either way. Just find what and when works best for you.

Good Luck,
Phill

cheers guys, pretty useful stuff. Im keen to start doing my workout early too. Just wondering whats best to eat pre W/O bearing in mind ill be hitting the iron within about an hour or less?

Well like they said, if the AM is the only time you can consistently workout, by all means do it. But if you have the option, I’d just go whenever you perform best. Test it out, go in the AM for a week or two, then later on in the day for a week or two. Compare your numbers and energy levels and choose accordingly. I wouldn’t go in the AM if you can’t get to bed early enough though.

1 hour or less I would say something that will be digested easily and give good energy.

Example Surge.

That is what I have been doing mixing my Surge and slamming half about 1/2 hr prior, then finishing the rest from that point through my warm up.

Gives great energy and aminos during the w/o.

Then after either hit some fruit and Grow! or More Surge. Followed by a BIG meal ASAP, within an hour afetr that.

Just my opinion and what works for me,

Phill

I use oatmeal as my primary carb source pre WO. I grind it and add it dry to my shake. It adds some texture and body to the shake. The whole thing is easy on the stomach, provides good energy and doesn’t wear off quickly.

This is the best advice you’ll hear on working out early. I try to get to bed by 9. If I don’t get enough sleep, my workouts and daily energy suffer. After a while you’ll just crash.

Working out in the morning is more of a lifestyle choice. If you like staying up late you will find it difficult.