A Lurker Timidly Emerges...

[quote]deapee wrote:
Thanks for the refresher, although I can’t say I know exactly why you posted that…but it’s cool, I appreciate it.[/quote]

hmmm, lets see, perhaps he posted it because you made a dick comment to a guy who’s clearly trying to better himself…yea, thats it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
nanobyte wrote:
deapee wrote:
Dude, you definately don’t look like you’ve lifted a single day in your life.

I’m a beginner. Does the phrase “check yourself” mean anything to you?

A slight refresher:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=868802

The difference is, he didn’t claim to have been reading this site for nearly two years and THEN post a pic showing a physique that appeared to have spent no time in the gym. If you can’t get the basic concept of getting in the gym and giving it everything you have down, it doesn’t matter what specific routine you claim to be following.[/quote]

Well, nanobyte never claimed having lifted for a year and a half, only read the site.

He said he’d done some lifting last summer, gotten sidetracked, and started again a month ago.

If you would have bothered to read his post that would have been apparent.

[quote]MikeSh wrote:
deapee wrote:
Thanks for the refresher, although I can’t say I know exactly why you posted that…but it’s cool, I appreciate it.

hmmm, lets see, perhaps he posted it because you made a dick comment to a guy who’s clearly trying to better himself…yea, thats it.[/quote]

His advice was actually pretty accurate. If someone claims they have been lifting for nearly two years and this is the result, unless they just finished losing a ton of body fat, it brings the motivation of the lifter into question. This guy posts a pic of a world popular stong man as his goal. The guy whose picture he posted has been training for years with more dedication than most people on this board will ever pull together. That dedication is what seems to be missing here and if no one is willing to adress that, what good are you really doing this guy?

Glad that you are doing more than reading [now]. Late is better than never. What is your plan of attack for training and diet from this point forth?

So he posted a link to a thread that I started to ‘get back at me’ in some way? I don’t see how that’s something bad…

Anyway, I don’t see what was wrong with what I said. Is it the “he doesn’t look like he’s lifted a day in his life” part – because if so, how could someone take offense to that if they really haven’t put any effort into lifting for anything more than a couple weeks?

I actually thought I was helping by suggest that he focus on losing some fat and giving him some inspiration by telling him that beginners can definately lose fat while gaining muscle.

Anyway, if this is to be a pissing contest, we can do that too. We’ll both post our befores and afters in one year from today…if he’s still around.

nanobyte wrote:
Hi,
I’ve been reading T-Nation for about a year and a half now. Thought I’d come out.

I don’t understand this. Have you been lifting for that year and a half or just reading about lifting? I don’t understand people who somehow think that action is secondary. You don’t look like you’ve lifted even two weeks in a row, less known 1 and a half years. Consistency is where you need to begin. The next step is intensity. If you can’t get those together, all else is just bullshit and a waste of time.[/quote]

I read the site mostly for training tips and such, and also to learn the latest info on supplements and nutrition. But then, I read alot of sites. Didn’t mean to confuse anyone by mentioning a year plus.

I trained for about 6 weeks in the beginning of last summer while I shared a flat with a friend of mine who’s into weight lifting. Any gains I had back then quickly went away once I stopped lifting.

Then in that time since then I’ve worked 2 jobs on 2 continents, so now is just really the best moment I’ve found to get serious about lifting.

I’m quite the boolean guy. I either go for something full speed or I don’t do shit.

But hey, better late than never, right?

Anyway, I never claimed to have trained for a year. Were that the case I wouldn’t have posted those pics. It’s just for me to track my progress. And get some motivation knowing my fat ass is out there for the world to see.

And it hardly phases me that some dudes out there that either don’t remember beginning or didn’t start while having a busy career think I’m fat and weakly looking.

Or that they’re so defensive that right off the bat they think I’m making shit up.

I think I have a decent natural strength level, and I’m more determined than most people.

Thx for the comments.

[quote]deapee wrote:
Anyway, if this is to be a pissing contest, we can do that too. We’ll both post our befores and afters in one year from today…if he’s still around.[/quote]
Let’s hope so!

Anyway, I wasn’t posting that as some sort of kneejerk response. I appreciate your input.

Just wondered if you remembered yourself in your beginning stages.

And also, being half nekkid on the internet is easier if you can point out other half nekkid folk on the internet.

In your pic you got way better arms and shoulders than me.

I think however I’ve developed my lats quite significantly, given how my figure was a month ago. My torso basically looked like a box. And my bitchtits were around 300% worse, and my love handles too.

I still feel my gut is just status-quo.

So perhaps I got overly excited about a comparison noone else was able to make

Even Mariusz Pudzianowski at one point probably looked like he didn’t lift.

MikeSh wrote:
deapee wrote:
Thanks for the refresher, although I can’t say I know exactly why you posted that…but it’s cool, I appreciate it.

hmmm, lets see, perhaps he posted it because you made a dick comment to a guy
who’s clearly trying to better himself…yea, thats it.

His advice was actually pretty accurate. If someone claims they have been lifting for nearly two years and this is the result, unless they just finished losing a ton of body fat, it brings the motivation of the lifter into question. This guy posts a pic of a world popular stong man as his goal. The guy whose picture he posted has been training for years with more dedication than most people on this board will ever pull together. That dedication is what seems to be missing here and if no one is willing to adress that, what good are you really doing this guy?[/quote]

What I understood from his post was that he only seriously started lifting 1 month ago and quit smoking to boot (+2).

Perhaps you and deapee are very far removed from the beginner stage, and you dont remember what its like to be a fat guy trying to motivate himself by posting pictures of himself for the world to see. Perhaps you never were as out of shape as he was. Either way, I don’t see how telling him he looks like he never lifted boosts anything but your own ego. I’m sure he realizes he looks nothing like Mariusz, hence the “goal” label.

Besides, hes posting a picture of himself in the “beginners” forum.

Sounds good, no hard feelings. Although I was honestly trying to help, not be a dick.

Everybody’s got to start somewhere. You seem like you’ve got a good attitude – put in the work in the gym, keep your diet in order and the rest will follow. I think starting lifting (or any exercise program) during a busy career is a difficult thing to do. I have many professional friends that work a lot of hours, were not physically active in their late teens, early twenties and they have a devil of a time getting going on an exercise program and staying committed to it.

Their excuses for failing to do so are certainly lame but it’s a lot easier to balance career and training when training has been a part of your life for so long. And before anybody jumps down my throat, I’m not making excuses for them, just recognizing that beginning lifting at a later stage is life is not always the easiest thing to do.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Glad that you are doing more than reading [now]. Late is better than never. What is your plan of attack for training and diet from this point forth?[/quote]
Thank you :slight_smile:

Basically I will, based on these pictures, try to burn off that fat. Those bioflavonoids, flax seeds, stinging nettle, and quercetin and shit are an attempt to block estrogen, hopefully making it easier to lose that stubborn fat.

I think I’ll add more cardio even if I hate it and continue with my exercise program. Monday’s program was like this:

1. Warm-up (stretches)
  2. 5x5x308lb rack pull (started with that cause I love it and it motivates me)
  3. 4x10x77lb bradford press
  4. 5x5x100lb bent over rows
  5. 3x8x77lb X-rows
  6. 4x10x110lb overhead halfpress
  7. 3x15x100lb crouching tricep extensions (I really don’t know what this exercise is called)
  8. Did some work on pullups since I can only complete 1 at the moment
  9. Sauna/stretching

This was quite the hard workout for me. I was trying to push the envelope to see if I would hurt myself.

But I think I’ll generally try to push myself more and try more exercises.

As for diet, I really think I need to take a better look at that. Note what I am eating (I find it hard to recall after the fact), and compare it to some diets out there.

[quote]burt128 wrote:
Everybody’s got to start somewhere. You seem like you’ve got a good attitude – put in the work in the gym, keep your diet in order and the rest will follow. I think starting lifting (or any exercise program) during a busy career is a difficult thing to do. I have many professional friends that work a lot of hours, were not physically active in their late teens, early twenties and they have a devil of a time getting going on an exercise program and staying committed to it.

Their excuses for failing to do so are certainly lame but it’s a lot easier to balance career and training when training has been a part of your life for so long. And before anybody jumps down my throat, I’m not making excuses for them, just recognizing that beginning lifting at a later stage is life is not always the easiest thing to do.[/quote]

Thanks man =)

I’m used to a completely different attitude from this forum. In my gym we have guys pushing 570lb benchpresses and still taking time for a positive word for the newbie fatkid that just joined and occupied their bench for 10 minutes pushing 80lbs.

They didn’t ask how long I knew about the gym being there before joining, or question my dedication based on a period where only 10% was spent holding barbells.

Just remember, just cause I’m fat and I’m doing something about it, and anxious to get the word out, doesn’t mean y’all aren’t years ahead of me. I’m no threat.

[quote]MikeSh wrote:
What I understood from his post was that he only seriously started lifting 1 month ago and quit smoking to boot (+2).
[/quote]

Yeah. Surprisingly quitting the cigarettes was much easier than anticipated. And I thank the workout for that. I’ve been smoking at varying levels since I was 16, and right before I quit I was at a pack and a half per day.

It’s definitely derailed my cardio. Which is why I’ve been lazily postponing that.

I think I’ll have to start doing long distance jogs. Starting off at a slow level and meeting my distance (5km for starters) and then building up tempo.

Dude…please…no Warrior Diet. You’ve got much better info here that has been proven time and again. Don’t just do it because your friend does it. Do a search for T-Dawg Diet 2.0. It’s a good place to start for diet.

And you said that you are the type who either does something all the way or not at all. You have to understand that consistency will help you acheive your goals. Taking huge periods of time off after incredibly instense training periods will not give you results as good as being consistent over years. It’s not going to be easy, and sometimes you’ll fall off. But don’t do it for too long.

Best of luck.

-MAtt

[quote]steinnes wrote:
Well, nanobyte never claimed having lifted for a year and a half, only read the site.

He said he’d done some lifting last summer, gotten sidetracked, and started again a month ago.

If you would have bothered to read his post that would have been apparent.
[/quote]

Gee, the problem is that anyone would claim to read this site for nearly two years WITHOUT ACTING ON THE KNOWLEDGE GAINED or showing the desire to actually work for the results they want. Anyone can read. It takes much more than that to actually LOOK like you understood what you read.

[quote]MikeSh wrote:
Perhaps you and deapee are very far removed from the beginner stage, and you dont remember what its like to be a fat guy trying to motivate himself by posting pictures of himself for the world to see. Perhaps you never were as out of shape as he was. Either way, I don’t see how telling him he looks like he never lifted boosts anything but your own ego. I’m sure he realizes he looks nothing like Mariusz, hence the “goal” label.

Besides, hes posting a picture of himself in the “beginners” forum.[/quote]

Dude, I remember being the skinny guy partially embarrassed to walk into a gym filled with people more developed than me. That was why I continued doing so and nothing short of a natural disaster or major injury would have kept me from the gym. Yes, I do have a hard time understanding people who claim to be unable to find any motivation. If I see something I want, I work hard to get it.

[quote]Matgic wrote:
You have to understand that consistency will help you acheive your goals. Taking huge periods of time off after incredibly instense training periods will not give you results as good as being consistent over years. It’s not going to be easy, and sometimes you’ll fall off. But don’t do it for too long.
-MAtt[/quote]

That is what needs to be understood more than anything. Everyone here would be wasting their time if this guy decides to “fall off the wagon” two months from now and logs back on two years from now claiming to have been “reading” the whole time. If you can’t find the drive to hit the gym regularly, all else is a waste of time. Claiming to work two jobs isn’t an excuse. There are those of us who have done the same and still trained. I was working three jobs right out of college for over 6 months and I still made it to the gym regularly, even if it was 2 in the morning some days. Maybe I should have been making excuses instead.

Gee, the problem is that anyone would claim to read this site for nearly two years WITHOUT ACTING ON THE KNOWLEDGE GAINED or showing the desire to actually work for the results they want. Anyone can read. It takes much more than that to actually LOOK like you understood what you read.[/quote]

What is your point, already?

[quote]MikeSh wrote:
Professor X wrote:
MikeSh wrote:
deapee wrote:

hmmm, lets see, perhaps he posted it because you made a dick comment to a guy
who’s clearly trying to better himself…yea, thats it.

His advice was actually pretty accurate. If someone claims they have been lifting for nearly two years and this is the result, unless they just finished losing a ton of body fat, it brings the motivation of the lifter into question. This guy posts a pic of a world popular stong man as his goal. The guy whose picture he posted has been training for years with more dedication than most people on this board will ever pull together. That dedication is what seems to be missing here and if no one is willing to adress that, what good are you really doing this guy?

Besides, hes posting a picture of himself in the “beginners” forum.[/quote]

You’re not understanding, the point of Prof X’s post wasn’t to “boost his own ego.” A beginner is a beginner, whether or not they’re skinny, fat, or genetically muscular, they all get the same amount of respect. The fact that the OP said he read T-Nation while doing nothing about his own physique shows a lack of dedication; he was putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. Instead of spending time reading a bodybuilding site he could have dropped 40lbs of fat and started building a decent base of muscle. You don’t need a Waterbury program or Massive Eating diet to show you how to do that as a beginner.

It’s a matter of principle. The OP must realize that a certain amount of activity is involved. You won’t achieve your goals by simply reading articles.

When I first started, my gym partner told me I was a pussy. So I lifted harder and with more intensity than him. Now I’m stronger than him. By taking baby steps (reading articles on T-Nation… one year later, get in the gym… one more year… stop using the pink weights), you’re not improving his character or physique.

To the OP: Good luck with your transformation. If you work hard enough, in 3 years you can achieve more than 95% of the people here. If you go easy on yourself like you have been, you will achieve nothing.

By the way, your diet is lacking. Increase overall caloric intake, focusing on protein.

[quote]nanobyte wrote:

What is your point, already?[/quote]

That your past actions imply that you aren’t very serious. That you need to make consistency your primary goal and that even your diet is of lesser concern if you can’t make it to the gym regularly. That if you want to make major changes between right now and a year from now, that is where you start.