A Lanky Kid's Program

You guys are over complicating things so much. OP:

Do Starting Strength.

Eat 3-4000 calories a day in whole foods.

Supplement with shakes as needed to get enough protein.

Do tons of mobility work.You will probably need it as an untrained beginner.
Defranco’s Agile 8 and mobilitywod are good places to start.

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]GSD wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Guys… Don’t you think he should just do starting strength for six months and eat tons of food? It usually works for lanky teens.[/quote]

YES!!! Finally someone said it.

I’m glad OP admitted that not having time is just an excuse. Nothing more to really say there.

Supplements are alright if you can afford them, but they’re not required. If it’s between supplements and real food, take the real food option. Protein is really convenient, but it’s not mandatory if you are going to break the bank trying to get it.

If you’re trying to gain size, go for a minimum of 6 meals per day. A meal is not a feast, just get some protein in and a good carb or fat source. The trick to doing this, especially if you are in school or employed, is to prepare your meals while you are still at home. Get tubberware containers. Cook a bunch of chicken breasts and eat them for the next couple of days. Cook a roast and eat that for a couple of meals or use the meat in sandwiches. It’s easy to fit in a roast beef sandwich and a handfull of almonds between classes.

As far as how many calories to take in, try using a calculator on the internet somewhere. Then adjust it according to your progress. If you are gaining too much fat, less calories. No changes, increase calories.[/quote]

meal frequency has very little effect on body composition. he could eat twice a day and still get the same results. someone 6’4 160lb does not need a lot of food to grow.[/quote]

In my experience, I gained more fat when eating twice a day than I did when spreading the same calories out over many meals. It also felt better when spreading it out.

[quote]GSD wrote:

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]GSD wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Guys… Don’t you think he should just do starting strength for six months and eat tons of food? It usually works for lanky teens.[/quote]

YES!!! Finally someone said it.

I’m glad OP admitted that not having time is just an excuse. Nothing more to really say there.

Supplements are alright if you can afford them, but they’re not required. If it’s between supplements and real food, take the real food option. Protein is really convenient, but it’s not mandatory if you are going to break the bank trying to get it.

If you’re trying to gain size, go for a minimum of 6 meals per day. A meal is not a feast, just get some protein in and a good carb or fat source. The trick to doing this, especially if you are in school or employed, is to prepare your meals while you are still at home. Get tubberware containers. Cook a bunch of chicken breasts and eat them for the next couple of days. Cook a roast and eat that for a couple of meals or use the meat in sandwiches. It’s easy to fit in a roast beef sandwich and a handfull of almonds between classes.

As far as how many calories to take in, try using a calculator on the internet somewhere. Then adjust it according to your progress. If you are gaining too much fat, less calories. No changes, increase calories.[/quote]

meal frequency has very little effect on body composition. he could eat twice a day and still get the same results. someone 6’4 160lb does not need a lot of food to grow.[/quote]

In my experience, I gained more fat when eating twice a day than I did when spreading the same calories out over many meals. It also felt better when spreading it out.
[/quote]

assuming your macros and overall calorie intake are the same you will not gain more fat eating twice a day then 6 times a day. placebo effect mabey?