A Jerkey With No Sugar Added?

whats a good type of jerkey that has little or no sugar? is there jerkey with no sugar? w

hen i cant cook myself a meal and im at work or away i take almonds or cashews with me for healthy fats but im lacking protein. i bought some super cheap whey but i dont wanna take that all the time.

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
whats a good type of jerkey that has little or no sugar? is there jerkey with no sugar? w

hen i cant cook myself a meal and im at work or away i take almonds or cashews with me for healthy fats but im lacking protein. i bought some super cheap whey but i dont wanna take that all the time.[/quote]

You could make your own in your oven - google will help you here.

Failing that do what Ive been doing since Ive started uni: chicken salads.

Frozen cooked chicken breast pieces
Cheddar cheese… chopped into smallish rough chunks
Olive oil
Mayonaise
Frozen mixed farmhouse vegetables (peas, carrots, brocolli, cauliflower)

Initially I wasnt using olive oil and relying on WAAAAAY too much mayo - now im subbing some of the mayo out and just adding a tablespoon or two of olive oil to the whole mixture.

Combine in a manner that fits your macro requirements. Make it up in bulk too - it will last a couple of days after the day of mixing in an airtight container stored in the fridge.

I tend to make two days worth (3 meals) for my 3 meals in the middle of the day when I have lots of hectic lectures. All I need is a spoon, a bottle of water, a couple of fish oils and Im done in 5 mins or under =] A cool pack will keep everything happy for HOURS!

You could also sub your whey for a casien or egg protein containing product - e.g. Biotests Metabolic Drive or Reflex Nutritions Peptide Fusion (My current powder - doesnt taste as good as MD but is all I can afford in UK).

Just some things Ive been doing since Ive started uni anyway!

jerky is so easy to make

how I make it is like this.

take out some beef usually a tough cut,but very lean,its the fat that goes bad in the meat before it has a chance to dry.
flank does he trick
put in a ziplock bag
pepper
salt
paprika,or cayanne depends on your prefered heat
little bit liquid smoke
amounts are not important,just as spices are not important if mixture is too dry mix in some water till it isnt,just eyeball and taste the mix and see if you like it if it needs something add something,its simple.
put soy sauce worschester or whatever your diet will allow.
make it as simple or complex as you like
sometimes I do pepper and soy sauce which adds enough salt anyways.

a shot of whisky is wonderful in jerky,(grandpas old recipe)

put meat in paper thin slices 1/8th inch thick or so
leave in bag in fridge the longer it sits the more it will taste like the maranade I leave mine for 2-3 days

when ready to dry
put meat on cookie sheet,or the rack
I like placing mine on the rack with a cookie sheet under it to catch drippings

prop over door open a crack to let the moisture out and turn it on to ~200 degrees F and let sit for between 6-10 hours
after about 4 hours you can start picking meat and tasting it to see if its “done”

to make one pound jerky you will need about 3 pounds meat IME.

what kind of meat do you guys use? nich im going to try that. most red meat that i see has has too much fat.

Damn Good Jerky Natural Style…that’s what I eat.

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
what kind of meat do you guys use? nich im going to try that. most red meat that i see has has too much fat.[/quote]

just choose the leanest cut of red meat you can find.

like rump,flank,round,sirloin tri tip,
you can dry chicken and turkey breast too
find a roast with a cap on it and just trim the cap.

check out ostrim. not sure how much sugar there is though

Whats the best way to cut the meat that thin?

[quote]Nole wrote:
Whats the best way to cut the meat that thin?[/quote]

A sharp, quality knife. Some things you just can’t substitute.

[quote]benmoore wrote:
Nole wrote:
Whats the best way to cut the meat that thin?

A sharp, quality knife. Some things you just can’t substitute.[/quote]

yup.

I bought a small meat slicer tho I can set it paper thin and it does its own thing

works great for deli meats too,buy in bulk and slice myself saves a ton of money

High Fructose Corn Syrup in there, correct? Looked at the label, correct me if I’m wrong. Miss it or don’t care 'cause its soo little(2g total sugar). I’m looking for a good one also. Thanks!

This is the stuff, here, just meat and salt brine:

http://tinyurl.com/4jhmtu

Oddly www.beefjerky.com does some very nice black pepper jerky without the sugar. I have eaten some of their stuff and it is very tasty…

…it’s even been into space 4 times

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
check out ostrim. not sure how much sugar there is though[/quote]

I just bought the barbeque flavor Ostrim and it is AMAZING. I highly recommend it. Unbelievably tasty and packed with protein for a mere 80cal/stick. 1g sugar, 2g carb, 14g protein! Although 360mg sodium, high but expected in dried meat. It has beef and ostrich. 96% fat free. I sound like a commercial.

This weekend I’m making my own turkey jerky, in a new dehyrdator I just got (Nesco 5 tray). Any tips for a first-timer? Have yall ever used Splenda instead of brown sugar in the marinade? I don’t want any honey or sugar obvi.

[quote]RICrazyGym wrote:

High Fructose Corn Syrup in there, correct? Looked at the label, correct me if I’m wrong. Miss it or don’t care 'cause its soo little(2g total sugar). I’m looking for a good one also. Thanks![/quote]

the problem with HFCS as an ingredient is that there are different possible names for it on a label, the ones i look for (other than it plainly stating HFCS) is glucose-fructose and liquid sugar

Jerky is great. I’ve got three types after the past months hunts. Antelope, Elk, and Deer, all very good. We just slice it thin (found using an electric fillet knife works great) and hang it on lines in the basement and give it a couple weeks to dry. Seasoned with pepper, salt, and chili, is all no sugar.

D

for those in the UK, this site may be of use.

www.bare-earth.co.uk

I currently have two dehydrators, one with a fan 1 with out one. You can find one for under 50 bucks. Ones with the fan built in work real good. I buy either top round or sirloin tip roast. Cut across the grain as thin as possible and season with Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning.

I might add a little soy sauce and let it marinade a couple hours. I then throw some redmond sea salt on it. Only jerky I eat, cause I know what the hell is in it. It only takes around 24 hours to have your own awesome jerky.