A Humbling Experience

We all have em, and my latest one was thanks to the great people at the pioneer weightlifting club here in Kansas. I had been introduced to the oly lifts before, but never critiqued in them and today it showed. I’m hoping to eventually compete in some events, but I’m a long way from that.

First step to become an oly lifter: get a coach (do not skip this step by any means lol). Anyone else out here with a humbling experience? Hopefully more entertaining than mine lol.

The first time I tried overhead squatting with an empty bar was quite embarrassing.

Empty bar? I failed with a broomstick.

The first time I failed at the back squat and had to dump the weight on the floor. I actually had one of the trainers come over and ask if I was ok.

First time I squatted to depth I got pinned with 95lbs.

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
The first time I tried overhead squatting with an empty bar was quite embarrassing.[/quote]

I have to second this one…LOL

first time I learned how to snatch properly was a fun adventure in humility.

Shit, I just learned how to free squat correctly 3 months ago and fell on my ass at least 20-30 times before I got it right. All my squatting days since have been humbling because even though the numbers keep going up, I’m still using weenie weight.

Still trying to overhead squat correctly. I look like a drunken sailor who’s being robbed.

Snatch scares me. . . . . we are speaking in the context of weight lifiting correct?

Humbled or embarrased?

When I chipped a tooth after hitting myself in the face doing hammer curls. Ironically, I switched to powerlifting the next week.

[quote]Power GnP wrote:
Humbled or embarrased?

When I chipped a tooth after hitting myself in the face doing hammer curls. Ironically, I switched to powerlifting the next week.[/quote]

Not man enough for bodybuilding eh? :wink:

I was 17 years old and on vacation. I went to a local YMCA where an ADFPA multiple record holding and World masters champion female lifter happened to be pulling.

I was planning on pulling that day, too. She was a 114, and a small one at that. Tall for the weight class and thin.

I was a little pissed this little older woman was training on the only DL platform and asked if I could work in.

She said sure and proceeded to work up to 315 for reps. That wasn’t a whole lot more than I was capable of at the time and her form was light years ahead of mine. Not even close.

So not only did I get outlifted by a 114# older woman, but she looked way better than me doing it.

Amusingly, she gave me some pointers and warned me it would make me pull less at first (we were pulling sumo).

She was right. I could barely budge 275. I sat there in front of her unable to break 275 from the floor while she repped 315.

It was brutal but probably had a lot to do with my early evolution as a Powerlifter because I took what she told me seriously, kept working it, and sought out additional advice from lifters as I encountered them.

It also taught me that I had a lot of work to do.

Not in the weight room, but first time I ran the 100 meters after being injured for 5 years. More than 2 full seconds slower and my time would have been about average for a high school girl.

[quote]joburnet wrote:
The first time I failed at the back squat and had to dump the weight on the floor. I actually had one of the trainers come over and ask if I was ok.[/quote]

I was strangely proud the first time I had to dump. When a friend told another friend about it he said “Edge became a man today”. I think that’s kind of how it felt.

[quote]Power GnP wrote:
Humbled or embarrased?

When I chipped a tooth after hitting myself in the face doing hammer curls. Ironically, I switched to powerlifting the next week.[/quote]

LOL

I was doing push press’ one day and hit my chin, knocking me to the floor as the bar crashed to the ground (no bumper plates either).

The whole gym stopped to look at me :frowning:

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Power GnP wrote:
Humbled or embarrased?

When I chipped a tooth after hitting myself in the face doing hammer curls. Ironically, I switched to powerlifting the next week.

Not man enough for bodybuilding eh? ;)[/quote]

Spot on. I’m scared of muscles.

[quote]ninearms wrote:
Empty bar? I failed with a broomstick.[/quote]

I should feel lucky. I pulled off good overhead squats with 105 for 4 reps.

My humbling experience: every time I look at a bodybuilder, powerlifter, or Olympic lifter. If they are somewhat good, they are probably better than me.

First time I tried an incline bench, I dropped the bar on my lap. That hurt, but not as bad as it did 45 seconds later when I dropped the same bar on my lap… again.

I watched a little 50 kilo girl snatch as much as me… actually it was 5 kilos more :frowning:

Snatching in front of the whole weightroom and routinely missing the weight.

We had a female plifter that would be in our weightroom from time to time who was repping 4 plates in a suit. This was when I was training for my first meet, it was pretty emarassing in a suit squatting more then 100 pounds less then that.