A**hole at Gym has a Problem with PL

Pick your battles, in this case it seems to be little point in arguing so just say sure, I don’t care or whatever and then blatantly ignore him. He’s wrong about a lot of things and it’s not hard to find ammo to use against him but it’s probably just not worth it.

He’s wrong when he claims that powerlifters retire young, it’s not uncommon that people reach their peak way past 30 in this sport. Injuries happen, yes, but that’s true for pretty much all physical sports so powerlifting doesn’t stand out there.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
Talk to yourself, refering to yourself in the 3rd person. People will generally leave you alone.[/quote]

Haha. Good one.

[quote]stallion wrote:

Mixing non powerlifters and bodylifters is always a no-no. Bodylifters train differently and have different goals than the powerlifters. Most people will respect that other people have other goals, but some will not, and you always have the stereotype old boydbuilder who thinks he knows everything there is to know in this world about lifting.
[/quote]

If it’s a good mix I actually think it’s mostly positive to mix bodybuilders with powerlifters. Where I train we have a bunch of amateur bodybuilders along with some decent and a few really good powerlifters. We also have a gang of strongman guys, most of them compete at an amateur level but two of them are world class. Seems to work fine, we can all learn at least something from eachother, right?

The problem arises when there’s either disrespect or a lack of understanding, I think there’s a bit of both going on in the OP’s case.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

Better yet, put a rack, a bar, and 1000lbs in weight in your house.[/quote]

^^ This. Your pet doesn’t care how often you dump the weight.

Honestly I would put some earbuds in from now on and be as loud as hell on every single I went for. It’s not about big muscles or staying “fit”, it’s about lifting heavy fucking weight and those people will never understand that. One day you’ll have such a massive squat people will be scared to talk, so just think of that when you lift.

I have a gym at home and have never had to deal with this type of shit, so I’m often intrigued by what goes on in commercial gyms.

What if this guy got stranded at EFS for a day?

2 things:

1. Don’t get bent out of shape about it.
  2. Next time, make the lift.

[quote]Matsa wrote:

[quote]stallion wrote:

Mixing non powerlifters and bodylifters is always a no-no. Bodylifters train differently and have different goals than the powerlifters. Most people will respect that other people have other goals, but some will not, and you always have the stereotype old boydbuilder who thinks he knows everything there is to know in this world about lifting.
[/quote]

If it’s a good mix I actually think it’s mostly positive to mix bodybuilders with powerlifters. Where I train we have a bunch of amateur bodybuilders along with some decent and a few really good powerlifters. We also have a gang of strongman guys, most of them compete at an amateur level but two of them are world class. Seems to work fine, we can all learn at least something from eachother, right?

The problem arises when there’s either disrespect or a lack of understanding, I think there’s a bit of both going on in the OP’s case.[/quote]

My opinion was put wrong here, I immediately understood this when I posted it, but I was too lazy to correct it. I agree 100% with all of your statements, and I agree esp. with your last sentence. So, now that is cleared, so nobody else will get all fired up about my opinion. I should rather have written that the goals and methods of that of a power lifter and that of a body builder differs. There should however be no problems for the two to coexist in the same space. Saying something else would be stupid. English not being my mother language, sometimes what I intend to say becomes different to what I really meant, and esp. when I am tired and/or lazy. :slight_smile:

Tell him you’d rather lift heavy weights for a 1 rep max than walk around on stage in front of people in a thong. If he says anything else, just say “It’s my choice, fuck off”. Or something slightly more polite maybe. Up to you.

i would have told him:
“righ, then will you pleas ego put those 180kg( or th e170kg you did before as you said) on your back and show me how to do it…wat…you cant?” …empathizing then wat…you cant"
make fun of her big not strong muscle if you wanna be a bit of an asshole…

same thing you do when people bullshit about not making noise when deadlifting or benching fast and with an arch

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Tell him you’d rather lift heavy weights for a 1 rep max than walk around on stage in front of people in a thong. If he says anything else, just say “It’s my choice, fuck off”. Or something slightly more polite maybe. Up to you. [/quote]

PURE GOLD right here!! You’ve melded smart ass with badd ass - I’m gonna have to remember this one.

“Rule #1 for doing real training in a pussy gym…Wear headphones- blaring the hardest metal you can get and stare at the floor. Talk to yourself, refering to yourself in the 3rd person. People will generally leave you alone.”

^^^^^
Classic

PIIHP

this story sounds so made up. people gathered around and nodded his points and looked at you disapprovingly? in a gym? give me a break.

First of all, as someone said before, make the lift. Second, be humble and just be like “thanks for the tip man.” Really all the guy is looking for is validation. Just cuz he tries to lecture you doesn’t mean he’s your boss. Just yes him to death and go about your business. YOU know why you do what you do, and it shouldn’t fuckin matter what other people think (just like I don’t understand the fuckin retarded aerobic circuit training things people do at gyms, but they could give a shit what I think).

[quote]bears wrote:
Just because someone is big and has a good physique does not make them an authority on anything. The best thing to do with people like this is to engage them in conversation and demand answers. Usually they out themselves as ignorant within about 5-10 minutes of conversation. Next time you see him ask him why he never tests his one rep max. Demand that he tell you why. If he does say he tests it than ask him why the hell he was telling you not to.

DO NOT let people like him off the hook. He sounds like a dick[/quote]

This advice is 100%, grade A, retarded…the guy will just raise his voice and make the dude feel like shit

I think OP handled the situation (assuming its not made up) about as well as possible truthfully…ignoring the dude in the gym next time is the next step, and if he keeps saying shit to you eventually tel him to fuck off

Forget about him. You should consider that he is caring about your back and your future health, but it seems like you know what you’re doing and getting into. He’s old school with another mindset. You don’t have to leave the gym or anything. Just keep training and doing what you’re doing.

Go Hard or Go Home

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
this story sounds so made up. people gathered around and nodded his points and looked at you disapprovingly? in a gym? give me a break. [/quote]

Obviously people didn’t “gather around” I mean really… I could see them nodding and such from their machines or treadmills or wherever. My gym has the squat racks literaly 2 meters from the leg extension machines and maybe 4 or so meters from the benches and treadmills… Does that really sound too fake to believe???

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
this story sounds so made up. people gathered around and nodded his points and looked at you disapprovingly? in a gym? give me a break. [/quote]

True story mate, i was there …

Have there been any long term studies on the effects of HGH on aging spines? Just because nobody’s studied it doesn’t mean it matters.

Furrow your brow and say in a foreign accent “uh? no english!”

Works every time when some worthless retard wants to take up my time like they’ve earned the right or something!