A Healthier Tomorrow

Hello,

This is my personal log. Aim is to keep track of my workouts etc. I’m not sure it will be of any use to anybody and I would advise nobody to do what I’m doing (As its probably wrong). But please feel free to give me advice…it is needed.

Biography: 38yrs, working full time (Senile job). My objective is to get stronger, leaner and practice BJJ/MMA. I am not looking to fight or anything. I just want to aim for a healtheir tomorrow.

Training objectives over the next few months

1. Aim to do 2 BJJ sessions/Week and 2 MMA Sessions/Week.
  2. Complete Mass Made Simple by Dan John (Duration 6 Weeks)
  3. Complete 531 (Jack version i.e. only the 531 sets) x2 i.e. back to back cycles (Duration 6 Weeks)
  4. Repeat Mass Made Simple by Dan John (Duration 6 Weeks).

Then review my progress

Curren Stats
Bodyweight: 90Kg
Bench 75Kg
Shoulder Press 45Kg
Squat 110Kg
Deadlift 120Kg

Of note - I plan to limit gym to either 2 or 3 sessions a week. This will initially vary on the MMS protocol. Later wuth 531 i will aim to do 2 workouts/week of Squat/Bench and Deadlift/Shoulder Press.

Thank You

2 Likes

Day 1:

Away at a conference today. So no weights. However I did a run - 2.4Miles.

Was absolutely drenched - its scorching hot currently and I’m not used to the heat.

2 Likes

Day 2:

Still away. So no weights.

Went for a brisk walk - 6 Miles.

1 Like

Day 3:

Still away. Therefore bodyweight exercises only.

100 Press Ups
100 Sit Ups
100 Leg Raises

All done in sets of 10.

1 Like

First Day with Weights

Notes -

1. I have a garage gym. I have some kettlebells, barbell and a dummbell set with adjustable weights.
  2. I attempted one arm press with a 20Kg kettlebell. Unfortunately I could not press this. So used a 20Kg dumbbell. I will attempt to purchase a 16Kg kettlebell within the next week.
  3. Weights below do not include barbell weight.

Workout:
Warm Up 2 Mile Bike

Bench Press - 7 x 5 Reps weight 55Kg
Bat Wings - 2 x 20 sec Holds weight 20Kg
One Arm Press - 5 Reps weight 20Kg
Complex - 3 x 3 weight 20Kg

High Rep Squat - 1 x 30reps weight 42.5Kg

10 x 25 Kettlebell swings at 24Kg
3 X 10 Sandbag burpee with deadlift (30Kg bag)

I’m done - time to rest.

2 Likes

No training today. Long day at work anyways. Reflection on training yesterday.

The complex went a bit wrong yesterday. I loaded the bar with 20kg on each side. Issues:

1. Goodmornings - I practiced this exercise with the bar. It felt awkward - essentially I was all distorted with some pelvic tilt. The solution to this will be to continue to practice with the bar. I will remove this exercise from the complex for the time-being.
  2. Space/equipment issues. I have one barbell. I couldn’t switch between the front squat and back squat. The simple reason being when attempting to push the bar over my head it would hit the ceiling. Therefore I will run complex as two separate complexes.
    Complex 1: Deadlift, Rows, Cleans, Pull-Ups, Sandbag Exercise*
    Complex 2: Front Squat, Back Squat, Military Press, Chin-Ups, Slam Ball Exercise*

** Will be a couple of reps with my 40 Kg slam ball e.g. pick up with a ‘toss’ over the shoulder or sandbag press and burpees etc.

Kettlebell swings - I will for the timebeing reduce this to five sets of 30. Lower back felt tight today.

1 Like

Todays workout (Monday 25th July).

Family is unwell. With gasteroenteritis. Therefore took the opportunity to workout when they fell asleep. Original plan was MMA class today - but can’t attend for obvious reasons.

Workout performed:

Warm Up 2 Mile Bike

Bench Press - 2/3/5 x2 sets weight 55Kg
Bat Wings - 10 x 10 sec Holds weight 20Kg
One Arm Press - 2/3/5 x2 sets weight 20Kg
Complexes (1 & 2 [previous post])- 5 sets x 3 reps weight 20Kg

High Rep Squat - 2 x 30reps weight 42.5Kg

5 x 30 Kettlebell swings at 24Kg

Overview - high rep squat was challenging. I did not put the weight back, but had to take a breather several times with barbell still on my back.

1 Like

Tuesday 26th July

BJJ Class today 1hr 20mins.

Also did single arm shoulder press at BJJ gym with a 16Kg kettlebell - 2/3/5reps x 2.

Gym has 16kg and 18Kg kettlebells. Will continue to perform single arm press at gym. Till I get used to the weight after my BJJ session - rather than as part of the workout. Aim is to continue with 16Kg kettlebell for mass made simple during these six weeks. In repeat cycle will increase to 18Kg etc.

1 Like

MMA Class today.

Appetite is going up!

1 Like

No weights today again.

Morning BJJ session 1hr 30mins - This was a hard session.

Evening MMA session 1hr - More of a technical session followed by 3 x 5 min rolls.

Overall a good day of training. I managed to get 2 martial arts sessions in.

Looking forward to my weights session tomorrow!

1 Like

Friday 29th July

Completed workout 3 of MMS

Bench Press - 2/3/5 x3 sets weight 55Kg
Bat Wings - 10 x 10 sec Holds weight 20Kg
One Arm Press - 2/3/5 x3 sets weight 16Kg
Complexes (1 & 2) - 2 sets x 5 reps weight 20Kg

High Rep Squat - 1 set x 30reps weight 42.5Kg, 1 set x 30reps at 52.5Kg

5 x 30 Kettlebell swings at 24Kg (I will increase this to 35reps next workout).

Overall I’m feeling good. First week of 6 is complete. Five more to go! Will rest over the weekend.

1 Like

Monday 1st August

Week 2 of Program

Weekend review - I felt a bit tight with some very mild aches. But generally well and nothing to talk about. Relaxed essentially - no activity this week.

Today - BJJ class. A technical session.

As the weather is nice …I may go for a walk in the evening tonight.

2 Likes

Wednesday 3rd August

MMA Session Today.

I feel fresh, healthy and adequately rested for my next weights session. Doing things slowly. Not in a race … keeping an eye on my goal ‘A healthier tomorrow’.

2 Likes

keep hammering away. enjoy your life while you do it. after you get pretty fit, its pretty easy to maintain. Youl get there soon enough.

Thank you @enackers for the ecouragement.

Another MMA session today. Essentially got roughed up today.

Busy day tomorrow - BJJ in the morning and workout 4 in the evening!

2 Likes

Anytime bro. BJJ getting after it. nice!

Update from Friday 5th August.

Unfortunately couldn’t make to the BJJ gym in time. So no BJJ session.

However I managed to get a very late workout in hence the late entry.

One arm press 16Kg 2 sets of 2/3/5
Bat Wings 5 x 20sec holds
Bench press 2 sets of 2/3/5 at 57.5Kg loaded onto the bar. 1 set of 10 reps at 55Kg.
Complex 3sets x 5reps
Squat 3 sets x 25reps at 52.5Kg
Swings 5sets x 30reps at 24Kg

Rest day today. Aim to do workout 5 tomorrow. I will try to make up for my missed BJJ session next week (I am being optimistic though!).

1 Like