A Good Six Day Split?

I wonder if you guys know a good 6 day split training I can use.

if you guys can paste the links it would be great.

sorry for bad english

randydave

Very few people on this site use a six day split, which explains why you haven’t gotten many responses. If you don’t know enough to design one yourself, your best bet is to find an author on this site you like and follow one of his routines exactly. (or at least read some of the program design articles)
Most people will recommend either total body training, or a movement pattern split.

Honestly unless you have a specific reason for wanting to follow a six day split, I wouldn’t recommend doing so. Here’s why:

1. You don’t grow in the gym, you grow out of it. Yes, you stimulate growth in the gym, but it’s actually the period spent afterwards when you allow your body to super-compensate when you actually grow.

2. Along the same lines as above, you are going to have to be eating a crap load of calories every single day in order to allow for growth.

3. Even though your muscles might be getting worked only once per week (which most likely won’t be the case), your recovery systems will be working every single day. This will most likely mean that your progress will be quite slow.

4. You’ll only be stimulating growth of each muscle once per week. Now, 52 growth cycles per year isn’t bad, especially if you’re making decent progress from workout to workout. But, with this many workouts per week, my guess is that you won’t be able to make significant progress week in and week out.

Still, maybe you could get away with doing a six day split. I don’t really know anything about you. So let me ask you a few questions so I can get a better idea of where you’re coming from.

How many years have you been training?

How much muscle mass have you put on since you started training?

What does your current program look like, and what kind of results has it given you?

Good training,

Sentoguy

day 1 work out
day 2 don’t
day 3 work out different rep range than day 1
day 4 do what you did on day 2
day 5 work out, diff rep range than 1 and 3
day 6 don’t
repeat

i’ve been training for 2 years and now I’m 21 years old(today is my birthday). At the beginning I was 110 (5’8). I was skninny cause of drugs. And now I’m clean.

I trained at house with DB for 1 year eating 2000-2500 calories a day without knowing about calories, proteins, carbs and fat. I grew up pretty fast and reached 135 lbs. In the last year, I trained in a gym, eating a SH*T load of food(3500-4500), trained alot(full body and then splits). I always try to eat whatever I can eat as long as I absorb 100g of protein. Right now I’m 155 lbs, started taking some supps(creatine, glutamine, T boosters).

my training consist of a 3 day split.

chest-triceps, 1 compound, 1 secondary, 1 isolation movement for each muscle.

back-biceps, 1 compound, 1 secondary, 1 isolation movement for each muscle.

legs-shoulders, 1 compound, 1 secondary, 1 isolation movement for each muscle.

5x5 and I dont always push it to failure… Actually I almost never do that cause I try to “stimulate my muscles” not to destroy them.(Yup, i’ve been surfing on this site for 1 year now so I THINK I’ve learned a lot)

I hope you have enough information on me !

dave

oh yeah and I’m planning to do this 3 day split 2 times a week.

and I take BCAA’s … lol

Well I dunno dude. I’m in a good mood so why don’t we design one together?

First, what’s your goal? For me it’s chest so on day 1, it’s chest.
Day 2 it’s back.
Day 3rest/abs
Day 4, Legs,
Day 5 Arms,
Day 6, Full Body,
Day 7 Rest.

How’s that look for a start?

Get back to me and we’ll fill it in from there. But the 1st question is (again). What’s your goal?

guys he takes BCAAs, hell lets have him doing 2 a days

1. Squat Chain + Abs

2. Vertical Pull + Bis

3. Vertical Press + Lateral Delts

4. Posterior Chain + Calves

5. Horizontal Press + Tris

6. Horizontal Pull + External Rotation

[quote]randydave wrote:
i’ve been training for 2 years and now I’m 21 years old(today is my birthday). At the beginning I was 110 (5’8). I was skninny cause of drugs. And now I’m clean.

I trained at house with DB for 1 year eating 2000-2500 calories a day without knowing about calories, proteins, carbs and fat. I grew up pretty fast and reached 135 lbs. In the last year, I trained in a gym, eating a SH*T load of food(3500-4500), trained alot(full body and then splits). I always try to eat whatever I can eat as long as I absorb 100g of protein. Right now I’m 155 lbs, started taking some supps(creatine, glutamine, T boosters).

my training consist of a 3 day split.

chest-triceps, 1 compound, 1 secondary, 1 isolation movement for each muscle.

back-biceps, 1 compound, 1 secondary, 1 isolation movement for each muscle.

legs-shoulders, 1 compound, 1 secondary, 1 isolation movement for each muscle.

5x5 and I dont always push it to failure… Actually I almost never do that cause I try to “stimulate my muscles” not to destroy them.(Yup, i’ve been surfing on this site for 1 year now so I THINK I’ve learned a lot)

I hope you have enough information on me !

dave[/quote]

First, congratulations for kicking the drugs. :slight_smile:

Okay, now so far you could adapt your current routine to work as a six day split fairly easily. But, I’d also agree with Sxio that we need to know your goals.

But, here’s a simple way to adapt your current program (at least in terms of general set-up) to be able to do it as a six day split. Although I’d still like to know why you feel that doing a six day split will give you the best results.

Day 1: Push- Chest, shoulders, triceps
Day 2: Pull- Back, biceps, forearms
Day 3: Legs- Quads, Hams, calves
Day 4: Rest
Day 5,6 & 7: Repeat process
Day 8: Rest

So, basically with this format you’ll train six times every 7 days, but you’ll always have a rest day between “cycles”. This also gives each body part approximately 4 days of rest and recovery (assuming that your workout times are fairly consistent from day to day, week to week).

Now, if you want even more assurance that you won’t burn out a muscle, you can use different exercises (or different set/rep schemes) on the first “cycle” than the second “cycle”.

So for instance Day 1 might look like this:

DB bench (5x5), Seated Military (5x5), Dips (5x5)

While day 5 might look like this:

BB incline (3X8), Upright Row (3X8), Close grip bench (3X8)

Keep in mind these are just hypothetical exercises and set/rep schemes. Depending on your goals and personal preferences you may choose different exercises or different set/rep schemes.

Good training,

Sentoguy

first I want to thank you all for your replies, it’s appreciated.

my goal is to gain muscle mass(indeed) :slight_smile:

changing reps sounds really good, I’m going to do it. If I understand well, you propose me to do 3 exercises a day ?

1 - I would do at least 6 per day(2 for chest, 2 for shoulders, 2 for tri), maybe a compound + an isolation movement.

OR

2 - maybe I should do 1 heavy compound + 3 isolation movements(1 for chest, one for tri and one for shoulders)

is it good to change exercises every cycle or should I just change reps?

what do you guys think ?

dave

[quote]randydave wrote:
first I want to thank you all for your replies, it’s appreciated.

my goal is to gain muscle mass(indeed) :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Thought so, but it’s hard to be sure without you actually saying so.

That was really just a hypothetical scenario, though I honestly don’t think it would be a bad way to go. The number of exercises that you would do each day would depend on your individual responsiveness to different protocols.

Do you respond well to volume? If so, then you’d probably want a decent amount of exercises and sets/reps in your program. If you don’t, then you’d want to probably keep it to just one exercise per body part and a low number of sets/reps.

If you really feel strongly that you need multiple exercises per body part then of course do so. It really depends on your personal recovery abilities and of course the methodology that you’re using for your program (i.e. going to failure/not going to failure).

If you’re not sure, then perhaps start with #1. If you find that you can’t continue to progress, then perhaps switch to #2. Or you could try switching to just one exercise per body part. If applicable compounds will generally give you more bang for your buck, though don’t think that means that isolation exercises aren’t worthwhile as well.

For instance, calves are pretty hard to really overload with compounds. Sure you’ll get some stimulus from the increased ankle stabilization present in heavy compound exercises done standing (squats, deads, olympic lifts, farmers carries), but calf raises are probably still the most effective method of building calf muscles.

Biceps are another example of a muscle that many people find need direct work (isolation). Sure, supinated back work will give them some stimulus, but unless you’re a really arm dominant puller (and in that case you’ll probably have a lagging back), then they probably won’t grow optimally from just doing compound pulls.

[quote]
is it good to change exercises every cycle or should I just change reps?

what do you guys think ?

dave[/quote]

No, changing exercises that frequently probably wouldn’t be optimal. I’d suggest picking two groups of exercises for each muscle group that you feel (if possible from experience) will build that muscle best. So, perhaps you like dumbbells more than barbells for chest. Then perhaps day 1 you’ll do flat DB bench, and day 5 you’ll do DB incline bench (depending on your individual needs as well).

Or, you could just stick to one variation and change the reps up between the two workouts. You will probably be able to continue to progress on the exercises longer if you use two different exercises. But, do whichever works better for you.

If you change up exercises too frequently (like every cycle) then sure, you’ll get a varied stimulus and probably won’t burn out for a very long time. But it’ll also be harder to make noticeable progress between each time that you do the same exercise.

Hope this helps.

Good training,

Sentoguy

yes this helps a lot

i’m familiar to volume training… ive been doin the german volume training for 4 months wich is pretty hard.

This is what I’m going to do :

example day 1 :
(5x5)
decline BB press
inclibe DB press
lat front DB raise for shoulder
cable pushdowns for tri
cable flies for chest

example for day 5 :
(3x8)
dips
flat BB press
lat side DB raise for shoulder
skull crushers for tri
DB flies for chest

thanx for your time buddy !

I’ve never made more progress than when I started lifting 10 times a week. I put on 25 lbs doing that. Did I overtrain? Yeah, at a certain point I hit a wall. But then I took 4 days off and went back for more.

I’d say that most people can train more than they think they can, as long as they eat well.

But…use such a protocol sparingly, because everyone hits a wall eventually.