T Nation

A Good Routine to Build More Muscle?

Im a noob, I'm 21, 6'1 and weigh 170, I need to get up to atleast 190 so I don't look so skinny, but even though I'm very skinny my BF is very high, I didn't measure, but I look terrible with my shirt off, belly with man boobs.

If I eat a lot of clean calories and workout 5-6 days a week, will it turn into mostly muscle, or what should I do to cut the body fat?

guys, I know Im skinny, im not freaking out about gaining weight, it's just that its summer time not sure if i should also incorporate running into my workout because right now I do not look good, or just hard heavy lifts would benefit me and eating alot? I want to see some nice improvements in the next 1-2 months, then after that I dont mind doing a nice bulk once summer is over, but like I said im new to this, so asking you guys.

Thanks

Chances are to lose the fat, you’ll also lose weight. How is that going to help you get to your goal of 190? The problem may lie with your diet/macros. If you’re not already, try keeping your carbs to morning time and around your workouts (pre, peri or post), that should help. Eat PF meals the rest of the day and before bed (1-2hrs) Make sure intensity is balls to the wall in the gym. I was 6’ 1" and 170lb when I started and made many mistakes. Best advice I can give you, is to forget about your Abs for awhile. Concentrate on getting stronger! I sure hope your squating and deadlifting?

~Ecto

I’m going to lay out a few things that will point you in the right direction I hope:

1 - You are talking about looking good in the next 1-2 months. A month? You need a complete overhaul and you need to start establishing new habits that will take you into the next YEARS of your lifting. Its real simple, the people with the bodies you admire have been lifting their asses off for years and years and years. I just crossed the 6 year mark this year and I still feel like a beginner and I still strive to become a better lifter and learn more. The concept of a month in the iron game is really almost irrelevant unless you are talking about peaking for a certain event (after having laid the groundwork for said event for YEARS)

Start asking the people in the gym whose physique you want to emulate how long they have been training and you will quickly forget the concept of looking good next month. Focus on the BIG PICTURE of lifting as a LIFE style, not a MONTH style.

2 - Dont worry too much right now about “cutting” or “bulking” - Just start forming good nutritional habits (eating 4-6 good meals a day with plenty of protein and good carb sources) and training with absolute intensity and consistency. GET STRONGER. You said your goal is to gain weight, so you need to make sure the scale is going up. 2-5 pounds a month is what I would recommend. Getting fat? Closer to 2. Staying lean? Closer to 5 - Adjust intake accordingly.

3 - Keep everything very basic at first (and for the rest of your life really, but certainly right now) - The advice about splitting macros up over the course of the day may be good, but honestly just focus on getting in good food 4-6 times a day. How about training? Well, focus on getting bull strong on the squat, bench, and deadlift and I can almost guarantee success. After 6-12 months you will know if you have it in you to continue on and hone your skills in terms of individualizing your nutrition, but for now just stay very basic.

4 - Train for your goals. If you want to look like a body builder, train like one - Find a program designed for BBing (like Max-OT or another body part split) and stick with it, getting stronger for the next several years. If you want to have that “Big and Strong” look, consider Starting Strength for a year or more and progress in those kinds of routines. Its all about progression. I can basically guarantee you that if you are benching 315, squatting 405, and deadlifting 500 pounds that man boobs wont be anything you need to worry about.

Sniff around T-Nation, there is PLENTY of info on here. But dont forget, Hard Work + Time = Success. Its that simple.