A Good Quality Workout

In my personal opinion I think someone should lift no longer then an hour.
I ork at a fitness center and i see some real idiots who just go down there and talk for 5 minutes between sets and stay in the gym for hours not working hard at all
then come up to me ad complainwhen they see no results
I think its the best to tell them why and how pissed they get.

My lift is usually no longer then an hour and I get a great pump, what are your workouts like?

My workouts can be as short as 35 minutes but be extremely intense…it’s all about losing the extra useless work, and sticking to the basics that actually get you places imho. Warm up, lift hard, get out.

generally an 1-1 1/2 depends if im going to set a pr sometimes the workouts take a bit longer

45 minutes tops. My time has more to do with schedule than dinking around. I would take more rest but I need to get my 5 year old home from school.

Same as TheDude I have an 1 hour and a 1/2 to change, stretch/warmup, lift. befor I have to go pick up the kids from the sitters.

That’s an eternity!

i lift for an hour give or take a few.

gym,50 mins to 1 hour providing i don’t have to wait between excercises 2- 3 times a week, 20 - 35 mins at home 3 times a week.
this after a 10 hour day of various intensity manual work.

then sleep!

Train at home so have no time-constraints. But I like to keep my workouts short. 20 -45 minutes, 5-6 days a week. Intense stuff.

I go 3 and a 1/2 hours some days, some days as little as an hour. It all depends on my schedule. When I do 3 1/2 hour workouts they are broken down into two increments during the day. The gym I go to is at a school so open hours are limited. By the end of the week I usually feel as if I am going to die.

[quote]triple-10sets wrote:
I go 3 and a 1/2 hours some days, some days as little as an hour. It all depends on my schedule. When I do 3 1/2 hour workouts they are broken down into two increments during the day. The gym I go to is at a school so open hours are limited. By the end of the week I usually feel as if I am going to die. [/quote]

id feel the same way

I used to be in there for hours at a time and then I got a girlfriend who keeps me in there for an hour and a half only :confused:

From changing to warming-up to lifting to stretching, usually takes me an hour and a half.

I remember when it was death if you worked out for more than 45 minutes.

I also remember coming into the gym up to three times a day to do two or three sets of squats and/or deadlifts each visit. Man that was awesome.

it seems like your goals may change how long you are in the gym

if training for strength some take up to 5 minutes before hitting another set, resulting in much longer workouts
If training for size then rest times being 30-60 seconds you probably wont be in the gym for more than an hour

Different body parts may take longer…my leg workouts are almost always around 2 hours

dont know how you can do a 2 hour leg workout w/ balls to the wall intensity, and heavy poundages.

yea my legs are only about an hour and im dead afterwards

Having a home gym is a big advantage as far as shortening my workout time and the different thing you can try. I can do a workout in 25 minutes that might take me over an hour in a gym as i can do a lot of supersets and trisets that would be impossible to do in the gym unless it was empty.

For example, i can do 6 sets of squats, 6 sets of calve raises, and 6 sets shoulder presses in 25 minutes at home. It sort of a form of interval training as i will do 5 to 8 reps of heavy squats, then with no rest do 12 to 15 calve raises, then do 8 reps of military presses supersetted with lateral raises. This entire triset (or quad set if consider the lateral raises) will take me about 2:00 - 2:30 minutes to perform; and i then rest 2:00 or 3:00 minutes. Its demanding; but it allows me a lot of rest between muscle groups and its different than a circuit program where you are only working low intensity as far as wieght. I guess you might call this high intensity interval circuit program…

It killed me when i first started this; however, it surprised me how quickly my body adapted under this program. I think it would be difficult for me to do this program beyond 30 minutes; but that is the point of this program; to do a lot of work in little time…

I only train legs once a week, they are a strong body part for me.
My body responds well to high volume.
In the two hour time frame i included 15 minutes of stretching. Squats take up about 50 mins( resting up to 3mins) of that time. The rest of the time is filled with sumo deads or hack squats switched every other week, followed by leg presses then leg extensions. Calf raises supersetted with calf raise machine are done at the end.