T Nation

A Good Breakfast Before Lifting?

I need a bit of advice. My current schedule allows me to make it to the gym an hour after I eat breakfast. My normal breakfast of 3 eggs, sausage, 4 tortillas, 1 c yogurt, and a piece of fruit is not allowing me to give my all at the gym. I need a better meal and I have to eat alot because I’m scrawny. I can’t eat wheat of any kind. Any suggestions?

How do you not throw up? Either you have an iron stomach or your workouts aren’t that intense. Let’s give you the benefit of the doubt and say you have an iron stomach. Try doing a super high calorie shake say:

4 raw eggs
1/2-1 c (gluten free i’m guessing) oats
1 c berries
olive oil-cals depend on how much
heavy cream-see above
cinnamon

benefits:
liquid so it’s easier to stomach
good dose of fiber
antioxidants
very high calorie if you add lots of olive oil and cream

or you could just do

2 scoops of whey
100-150g of dextrose/maltodextrin, you can get these at health food stores and some bakeries. NOW brand sells bags of dextrose.

or

stick with your original breakfast. what’s the problem? not enough calories? you said you eat 4 tortillas but you also said you can’t eat wheat. it looks like a solid breakfast.

“My normal breakfast of 3 eggs, sausage, 4 tortillas, 1 c yogurt, and a piece of fruit is not allowing me to give my all at the gym.”

What do you mean by this? Do you need less food, more food or a slap in the face?

If a slap is needed; Spike.

[quote]jslim wrote:
I need a bit of advice. My current schedule allows me to make it to the gym an hour after I eat breakfast. My normal breakfast of 3 eggs, sausage, 4 tortillas, 1 c yogurt, and a piece of fruit is not allowing me to give my all at the gym. I need a better meal and I have to eat alot because I’m scrawny. I can’t eat wheat of any kind. Any suggestions?[/quote]

my breakfast is the about the same.

I have 2 breakfasts though
#1 4 eggs with chorizo or suasage
2 tortillias
32 oz milk
fish oil caps
#2 either after I shower and get ready or after I hit the gym either way its about 3-4 hours later
carne asada burrito (about 3/4-1 pound beef)
half avacado
1 quart whole milk
more fish oil
this is my maintaince breakfast when I start cutting I will cut one meal out
when I bulk I add 2 hours after the second meal another carne asada

now for you if you are still out of energy try adding more fats.
couple table spoons olive oil,some fish oil pills
maybe couple more eggs,some milk to wash down your b-fast

if you are not eating that many carbs and cant eat wheat (because of the gluten I assume)then add healthy fats
apple slices with peanut buter on them added to your meal
theres tons you can do without being totally different

First off the tortillas are corn. Secondly when I get to the gym it feels like I swallowed a brick. I need a meal that has about 40g protein and at least 60 carbs. I was trying to eat more fats with breakfast but that only made the problem worse.

I am trying not to rely on shakes for this meal. I am gluten sensitive and lactose intolerant that means no oats and only certain dairy. I wondered if I should skip a full meal until after I lift? Thanks for your help.

How about a 30/30 split of carbs from fruits and veggies… and remaining protein from a simple lean meat source - perhaps combined with the veg.

Or even more in favour of the fruit?

Have a fruit salad to follow up the meat + veggies!

Nice, cool, refreshing.

That’s a ton of food. No wonder you can’t go to the gym right after.

I usually do best eating a low carb/higher fat meal prior to training. Carbs tend to make me a little tired/sluggish.

Since I train in the afternoon, I usually have some chicken breast, a green salad with some tomatoes and a bit of olive oil. I’ll also sometimes have some almonds and an apple. It keeps me feeling good during a workout. I don’t see why couldn’t eat something like this for breakfast.

For breakfast try like 6 eggs cooked with some veggies and a cup or so of berries, maybe some nuts too. I also find that eggs digest very well for me before a workout.

Then again, this all works for me. It may not work for you.

I typically go with:

2-3 large whole omega-3 eggs
4 large whites
1 slice light muenster cheese
1 cup steel cut oatmeal
1/4 cup blueberries
3-4 strawberries
1 scoop whey

This is usually the most energizing meal of the day, and it tastes fucking delicious. I go to bed excited for it the next day. It’s got the essentials, has some decent calories and isn’t heavy on the stomach before I go lift.

skip a meal before you train?

fantastic idea.

after that just skip a PWO meal too…that’ll really help.

(slight sarcasm)

eat.

alot of food.

and buy Lactaid. I’m lac. intolerant too…but i drink 3gal of ladtaid a week.

man up

[quote]jslim wrote:
First off the tortillas are corn. Secondly when I get to the gym it feels like I swallowed a brick. I need a meal that has about 40g protein and at least 60 carbs. I was trying to eat more fats with breakfast but that only made the problem worse.

I am trying not to rely on shakes for this meal. I am gluten sensitive and lactose intolerant that means no oats and only certain dairy. I wondered if I should skip a full meal until after I lift? Thanks for your help. [/quote]

corn tortillas are heavy,eggs are filling,so i feel ya there.
just play around with timing of your meals and amounts untill you get it right.
everyone is different.

try drinking isopure,it has a dry aftertaste that takes getting used to but its not all creamy and heavy like normal powders are. I used to go to the vitimin store next to my gym and get a bottle of that and slam it walking into the gym. 1 single serving bottle is 40g and no carbs
add some gatorade while working out and you have some carbs ,maybe its not the best you can do but it gets you what your looking for.
I went this route for a while becuase I didnt have time to eat before leaving in the am.
or like you mentioned just skip the meal,just eat the rest of the day,