A Game of Thrones (Trailer)

No Orcs? Fuck this show and Fuck the book.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

Not trying to hijack the thread, but another great series is by Guy Gavriel Kay and the first book is[i] “The Summer Tree”[/i].

Much like GRRM he takes from real history and in this case it is definitely influenced by the Byzantine Empire. I really liked it. This author is very good and even assisted Tolkien in the finishing of[i]The Silmarillion[/i]

I know, we have a good books thread, but this author is really right up there with GRRM, at least I think so.[/quote]

THANKYOU!

I recommend to you Jacqueline Carey series starting with Kushiel’s Dart. Excellent books plus there’s some BDSM.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
No Orcs? Fuck this show and Fuck the book.[/quote]

Well, you have your ‘Others’, which are supernatural bad guys. And dragons. And a good amount of seksy talk, references to rapes, random sexual commentary, etc…

Anyhow, you get a taste of the Others in the prologue of AGOT, though they are disappointingly scarce for the next 245,867 pages GRRM has had published… apparently he has more fun giving digressive history lessons and useless family tree overviews than he does advancing an actual plot (fuck it, y’all know it’s true).

The fucked up thing, though, is that he is talented enough to make shit like that damn interesting.

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

Not trying to hijack the thread, but another great series is by Guy Gavriel Kay and the first book is[i] “The Summer Tree”[/i].

Much like GRRM he takes from real history and in this case it is definitely influenced by the Byzantine Empire. I really liked it. This author is very good and even assisted Tolkien in the finishing of[i]The Silmarillion[/i]

I know, we have a good books thread, but this author is really right up there with GRRM, at least I think so.[/quote]

THANKYOU!

I recommend to you Jacqueline Carey series starting with Kushiel’s Dart. Excellent books plus there’s some BDSM.[/quote]

Thanks! I will give that a try. Have you read C. J. Cherryh’s Gate Series? Gate of Ivriel and all those? I liked those a lot.

I also liked Melanie Rawn’s Sunrunners series and Jennifer Roberson’s Tiger and Del series.

A somewhat similiar series is Conn Iggulden’s Emperor Series. It’s centered around the lives of Julius Ceasar and Brutus as they grow up, incorporating many of the important events of their life. I LOVED this series.

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:
A somewhat similiar series is Conn Iggulden’s Emperor Series. It’s centered around the lives of Julius Ceasar and Brutus as they grow up, incorporating many of the important events of their life. I LOVED this series.[/quote]

I just read that non-fiction book Cleopatra and I didn’t realize that when Ceasar was killed in the senate, Cleopatra was in Rome as his mistress.

Thanks for the suggestion I will check it out.

I agree. One great book by Kay is The Lion of Al-Rassan. It’s one of my favorites and I’ve recommended it to others.

A rather stunning blonde suggested I read it and I’m glad I did. :wink:

[quote]Tech9 wrote:

I agree. One great book by Kay is The Lion of Al-Rassan. It’s one of my favorites and I’ve recommended it to others.

A rather stunning blonde suggested I read it and I’m glad I did. ;)[/quote]

that was me!!! =)

glad you liked it. I loved that book also.

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:
A somewhat similiar series is Conn Iggulden’s Emperor Series. It’s centered around the lives of Julius Ceasar and Brutus as they grow up, incorporating many of the important events of their life. I LOVED this series.[/quote]

Will check out.

Is that Sean Bean in the trailer? Sharpy FTW!

I would love to see Bernard Cornwwell’s Saxon Series put to the big screen.

We want Orcs. We want Orcs.

so happy to have all this new “to read” material on my list!
Thank you.

Orcs! Orcs! Orcs!

Fuck Elves! They suck!

[quote]Hallowed wrote:
Thank you.[/quote]

not exactly the same vein, but have you ever read [i]“Ender’s Game”[/i] by Orson Scott Card?

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
Best series of books I have ever read. Hands down.

/discussion [/quote]

Hey Hillbilly the discussion was about the movie. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can read?[/quote]

lol fuck you, I’m the Dalai Lama.

I’ve heard Gene Wolfe has a good series starting with the Shadow of the Torturer.

[quote]Bungalow wrote:
I’ve heard Gene Wolfe has a good series starting with the Shadow of the Torturer.[/quote]

He also wrote Soldier of the Arete which I wasn’t in to so much. It was kind of a Spartan “Groundhog Day”, not actually comedic, but no memory of previous days.

I LOVE this series. And it looks like HBO is going to do it properly too. Fantastic. I can’t wait for it to come out (so I’m re-reading the series)

So happy for this. I’ve read ASoI&F through 5 times now. As much as I’m looking forward to it though, I’m disappointed every time I go on Martin’s blog and the only things he mentions are the series, the NY Giants or some random bs. I don’t think he’s mentioned the book in the past 6 months.

^I agree. I have a friend who works for Random House and even his own publishers thought he would be done in sept. 2010… seems like the only people who know what he’s thinking is GRRM himself.

Btw, loved the Kushiel Series, and pretty sure I have read everyone of jacqueline Carey’s books.

For anyone looking for more reading material, Elantris by Brian Sanderson was a pretty good stand alone. The Mistborn Trilogy by Brian Sanderson is hands down one of my favorite collections of writing. Currently reading the Crossroads series by Elliot Miller (picked it up in a used bookstore while my apt. was on fire…long story…) and I have enjoyed that thus far.

[quote]Hallowed wrote:
Thank you.[/quote]

not exactly the same vein, but have you ever read [i]“Ender’s Game”[/i] by Orson Scott Card?[/quote]

Read almost all the OSC in High School… He is SO GOOD. Such great books really transcend genre. Really should revisit them! And as far as GRRM getting the best series award of course he can only ever be second to Tolkein.