A Friendly Challenge - Battling Program ADD

What are you doing these days? I saw a post referencing some conjugate stuff.

This is more for people like me who change entire programs pretty regularly. I complete my programs (usually), but when I “finish” I’ll switch to something completely different.

For example, last year I ran CT’s Simple Guaranteed Strength & Size program to a T for 12 weeks. Once I finished I abandoned strength work for a while and dabbled in CrossFit like MetCons for a few weeks. Eventually I got back around to running another 12 week round of SGSS, but everything had to be modified due to injuries.

I need to select something and just do it over and over and over. No six week programs, no eight week programs, none of that stuff. Just some training principles, pre-planned progression, and hard work using the same lifts for an extended period of time.

If you have a plan in place that varies your training then I think that qualifies. I used to try to be fancy and “periodize” my training. If you can do that, then it counts in my book.

1 Like

yep… I think beginners not familiar with it would be like what the fuck. When they see the amount of variation of exercise being cycled. Be it the Max effort and supplemental and even the accessory .Since I would consider it a methodology more than a paint by numbers program.

2 Likes

I would consider conjugate to be a program. My personal problem is that I’ll run a strength program and start to feel beat up. I’ll finish it and move completely away from the movements. I’ll lower weights and do more traditional bodybuilding type programs. Eventually I get bored and switch back to strength and start the cycle over.

In addition to the training flip flop, I’ll change my nutritional goals - usually bulking or maintenance on a strength program followed by cutting with my physique oriented program.

The end result is looking, feeling, and performing the same year after year. Now, on one hand I’m actually pretty proud of that because I’m about the same at 34 years of age as I was at 24. On the other hand, I’m supposed to be improving.

Regardless of how my body responds, I just need to pick a program - or better yet, a principle/method - and run with it. For me, that means I’m going to stop forcing myself to do exercises that injure me (squat and bench) and pick stuff that I can do year round. My nutrition can dictate my physique goals, but my training should stay relatively consistent.

2 Likes

I agree 100% with your mind set on that.

2 Likes

I think we should all do Nutty’s program and the first one to die from all those SS wins! :grin:

4 Likes

You’re on!

1 Like

Ye of little faith!

I might be training my legs and left arm only, but I could handle those supersets just fine (with two arms, of course).

2 Likes

I’ll be watching closely, this looks like a cool idea.

2 Likes

I’m in - but I’m 99% sure I’m on a hiding to nothing. Rugby season approaches and injuries are assured.
I need to be flexible to make sure I work around playing and training. Not sticking to plan if its going to make stuff worse.

But like wise - having an over arching programme that I can try to adhere to is a great idea.

1 Like

This is a great idea.

Tempted to get involved. Just need to find a program that suits my lifestyle.

Missus is starting back at work in Sep and I’m on childcare duties so gym time will be at a premium.

I’m tempted to join a 24hr gym and getting up at 4am just so I can get some workouts in.

Hit me up with some ideas T Men🙋🏼‍♂️

1 Like

My gym offers childcare. I get up to two hours of me time each day. It’s a life saver. When I’m working my normal schedule I’m home with my son Mon-Wed so I understand the daddy daycare duty.

Sit down and figure out your schedule and we’ll come up with a plan for you. There’s always bodyweight workouts if you can’t find a way to get to the gym.

2 Likes

Nice one mate.

I’ll be out of commission from 8am - 10pm most weekdays. She’s in 6 days a week at work.

Childcare is way too expensive over here. I’ve also got a wedding to save for🤦‍♂️.

I’m thinking 3 FB workouts a week. All performed at the crack of dawn.

I could write my own however I think I’ll be best going for a proven one. One that I can ‘buy’ into so to speak.

1 Like

Nutty’s beginner program could work well. It’s 4 days a week, but you can just do 3 and do A/B/C, D/A/B, C/D/A, etc.

2 Likes

This challenge couldn’t have come at a better time. Transitioning from 5/3/1 to isdatnuttys beginner program as we speak.

Granted… I’ve basically only run 5/3/1 with fsl for my entire time lifting… Adherence to a program is basically the only thing about lifting I’m good at haha

2 Likes

I should do that one but I wouldn’t even know what program to chose and the repetitiveness might kill me

I think following a program doesn’t have to be as black and white as do this exercise for this many reps and repeat.

Conjugate training has a main lift that’s a variation of a comp lift - so box squats for squats - and assistance work selected to address weaknesses in the main lift. It might be several weeks before one repeats the same exercise. There’s planned variety.

As long as you make a plan and stick to it, you’ll be keeping the spirit of this challenge.

I guess I could run CT conjugate BB 2 times?

Does WHEN you make the plan matter? I come up with my workout for the day in the gym while I’m working out.

1 Like

Yep.

Yes due to the part about submitting your program in September.

2 Likes

Homer-Simpson-wingnuts-doh-400x308

1 Like