T Nation

A Few Words on Disipline

Guys,

I have been in the Iron game for a while now, alot of ahcievments in my life can be directly attributed to busting my ass in the gym. I recently got my ass back in school and took a college writing class. Please let me know if you think this esssay is going to fly for my teacher thanks,

Discipline requires hard work and a steadfast plan, some of the most successful people and organizations in the world have lived by these values. For those who have the strength and willpower to stay disciplined in their quest for greatness, they achieve not only a high satisfaction of self fulfillment but also rise above the rest. Arnold Schwarzenegger, the former Governor of California and the former Mr. Olympia once said “Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret!”

There are many forms of discipline; the form that comes to mind to most people is the physical act of discipline. For example a parent lays down rules for a child, when the child breaks these rules the parents must teach the child not to do the act and to obey there rules. The other form of discipline is self-discipline, men and women have struggled with this basic task since the beginning of time.

In the book of Genesis, the story of our creation is told. God creates Adam, and later Eve, and gives them everything they could ever need. The one thing God forbids them to do is to eat from the Tree of Knowledge. When Eve goes hungry one day, Satan is sent from hell to tempt her and she loses her self-discipline and eventually eats from the tree. God banishes them both. This story teaches the importance of will power and self discipline. In all mainstream religions, self-discipline is at the root of all fundamental teachings regarding good and evil.

In order to master self discipline, one must first learn not to succumb to temptations that will make you deviate from goals. A person must develop will power; Mahatma Gandhi once said, â??Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will" (Ph.D, 2011). The individuals that triumph over all competitors, whether it be in athletics, business, or anything in life, usually have similar characteristics to stay disciplined.

Humans are creatures of habit, and one way to ensure staying disciplined with goals is to set up routines. Routines ensure that you are allotting time for important aspects of your goal. By establishing daily routines the individual ensures that progress is made consistently over time. Success is about consistency, and thereâ??s no better way to establish consistency than through daily routine and habit (Riviere, 2009).

Another aspect of self discipline is persistence. Being persistent is a major factor in success, and not everyone is successful on the first attempt. One of the most famous inventors in the world, Thomas Edison, was called â??stupidâ?? and â??un-teachableâ?? by teachers, yet, he never quit even after his parents pulled him out of school. Edison spent his teenage years working and being fired from various jobs, culminating in his termination from a telegraph company at age 21. Despite these setbacks, Edison never deterred from his true passion, inventing. Throughout his career, Edison obtained 1,093 patents and while many of these inventions, such as the light bulb, stock printer, phonograph and alkaline battery were groundbreaking, even more of them were unsuccessful. Edison is famous for saying that genius is â??1% inspiration and 99% perspirationâ?? (Zeleznock, 2009).

The last quality that is needed is hard work. In order to achieve your discipline driven goals you must be the first one in, and the last one out. One good way to judge if you are truly working hard is to look at your task, if it is easy and can be done quickly it probably isnâ??t worth the time. Hard challenges, such as the ones that the average person is not willing to do are the ones that will yield the most profit. Hard work can be used to achieve positive results throughout oneâ??s life, and assist with mastering self-discipline.

Discipline encompasses many traits, will power, setting routines, having unwavering persistence, and most importantly hard work. Throughout time people that were able to master these traits have risen to the top in their pursuit of achievement. If you canâ??t master discipline in your life, how can you ever truly master yourself?