A Few Thoughts on Children of Men

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
!!!*!!! SPOILER ALERT !!!**!!!

If you read any further in this thread, the movie will be ruined for you. If you haven’t seen it, don’t do it.

I thought that the ending was the worst part of the movie as well. More than the overall tone of it, I thought that little “oh, I got shot back there” Was terribly contrived. In a movie that was, in every other sense, totally inspired, this scene was hella trite.

Anyone else have comments about specific plot issues/awesome points?[/quote]

Hmmm, my only issues:

The Ending: although the sounds of childrens voices give hint to the idea that reproduction was successful, it was a little bit hazier than I would’ve liked.

Also, as Jedidiah said, the “It’s my blood, they got me back there” scene of the death of the main character seemed a bit rushed.

I also think the death of the terrorist character with the dreadlocks could have been a bit more dramatic, considering how big an impact he had on the movie.

A little elaboration into why the government was doing bombings in the city to “instill fear”, as claimed by the terrorist group.

All this said, however, one of the best parts of the movie was the fact that it wasn’t a this-is-how-it-is plot, and it left you to make up your own thoughts about why things are happening/what’s going to happen.

Still one of the best movies I’ve seen in the past year, and I see a ton.

The director wanted everyone to come up with their own take on what’s going on? That’s retarded. There was no explanation of what project human was, no explanation as to how/why there are no children. I like movies [books,flyers,wallpapers] that make me think, but having absolutely no explanation about the main points of the story is silly. It’s like everyone’s applauding laziness as brilliance, kinda like the blair witch project. “We’re gonna do a whole lotta noyhing and make millions for it! I can’t believe people buy into this!!!”

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
The director wanted everyone to come up with their own take on what’s going on? That’s retarded. There was no explanation of what project human was, no explanation as to how/why there are no children. I like movies [books,flyers,wallpapers] that make me think, but having absolutely no explanation about the main points of the story is silly. It’s like everyone’s applauding laziness as brilliance, kinda like the blair witch project. “We’re gonna do a whole lotta noyhing and make millions for it! I can’t believe people buy into this!!!”[/quote]

You have completely the wrong idea. Did you see the movie?

A few plot areas were left open for your own thoughts to form, which isn’t a bad thing, unless you’re a moron who can’t form your own thoughts and ideas.

Also, comparing this movie to “The Blair Witch Project” is like comparing “Casanova” to “Date Movie”.

You have completely the wrong idea. Did you see the movie?

A few plot areas were left open for your own thoughts to form, which isn’t a bad thing, unless you’re a moron who can’t form your own thoughts and ideas.

Also, comparing this movie to “The Blair Witch Project” is like comparing “Casanova” to “Date Movie”.[/quote]

I saw the movie with a girl I’m dating, and she agreed with me. There was some cool shit that happened, but NO explanation as to why. I’m all for civil unrest and anarchy, but only if there’s a known cause. I can definately form my own thoughts and ideas, and my thoughts and ideas were that ya’ll are praising a DECENT at best movie. It’s like looking at a styrofoam cup and calling it the Holy Grail. We’re supposed to make up our own ideas as to why there are no kids? Why there is chaos everywhere? What the human project is? That’s silly. Looks like they got some known actors, put together half {at best} a story, had some killer cinematography and unexplained violence and put it on film.

And everyone is talking about how genius it is. I tell you what, I’m gonna get a blank canvas, splash some paint on it and let ya’ll call me a genius and tell people “You’ve got to look at what he DIDN’T paint.” Worked for Pollack…

SPOILER

He was shot by the ‘leader’ of his ex-wife’s pack - the skinny black guy. But he was also shell-shocked and was so determined to complete his mission that he spaced out the wound until they were long in the boat.

The point of the ending is that he completed his mission. That even in a world with all those non-Disney moments hope and determination still mean something. And you can form your thoughts or do whatever you want, but I just got up and left the theater being glad for seeing one of the year’s best films.

The death seem rushed because ALL of the deaths were rushed. Look at how many times people or importance came into their lives and then were killed. They moved on extremely quickly as they had to. It was the same as Clive’s death at the end. The girl had people of importance coming into her life that had a mission and once that was completed, they got killed. The ending was no different.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

We’re supposed to make up our own ideas as to why there are no kids? Why there is chaos everywhere? What the human project is? That’s silly. [/quote]

To answer your questions (this is deduced from the movie, I didn’t realize this stuff wasn’t clear):

1. There are no children because something has happened on earth that caused infertility amongst all, or at least apparently all, the females. If they knew why this was happening, they’d fix it. They don’t know, which is the point. Not knowing why something is happening is frightening.

2. There is chaos everywhere because without reproduction, there is no future. With no chance of creating new life, all everyone is doing is waiting to die themselves, and then that’s it. If that were to happen, and humanity came closer and closer to ending with each passing day, there would be chaos.

3. The Human Project, although very vague, was a collection of the most brilliant scientists who were trying to figure out a way to repopulate the earth and start a new society.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
jedidiah wrote:
!!!*!!! SPOILER ALERT !!!**!!!

If you read any further in this thread, the movie will be ruined for you. If you haven’t seen it, don’t do it.

I thought that the ending was the worst part of the movie as well. More than the overall tone of it, I thought that little “oh, I got shot back there” Was terribly contrived. In a movie that was, in every other sense, totally inspired, this scene was hella trite.

Anyone else have comments about specific plot issues/awesome points?

Hmmm, my only issues:

The Ending: although the sounds of childrens voices give hint to the idea that reproduction was successful, it was a little bit hazier than I would’ve liked.

Also, as Jedidiah said, the “It’s my blood, they got me back there” scene of the death of the main character seemed a bit rushed.

I also think the death of the terrorist character with the dreadlocks could have been a bit more dramatic, considering how big an impact he had on the movie.

A little elaboration into why the government was doing bombings in the city to “instill fear”, as claimed by the terrorist group.

All this said, however, one of the best parts of the movie was the fact that it wasn’t a this-is-how-it-is plot, and it left you to make up your own thoughts about why things are happening/what’s going to happen.

Still one of the best movies I’ve seen in the past year, and I see a ton.[/quote]

As far as the ending is concerned with it cutting to the childrens voices, I personally felt that the childrens voices were there to provote an emotional response rather than to indicate whether reproduction was made possible. I dont think I ever appreciated the role children play in society until seeing this film and hearing thier voices at the end of the film really made this click for me.

I think the dreadlocked terrorists death was fitting with the film in general. I found it refreshing to watch a film where death could be dealt out without the need for a final quippy remark or the need for some final dramatic battle or drawn out death scene.

I think what was meant by the terrorists when they said the government was responsible for the bombing is that if the government truly was bombing civilians in an effort to instill fear and claimed that it was the work of immigrant terrorists, it would make people more willing to root out immigrants and reduce support for there cause.

Thats my feeling anyways. I brought this on DVD the other day, I dont think the film actually came out over here in Britain but went straight to DVD instead-weird.

No children born for 19 years? Doesn’t sound like the end of the world to me, lets make it mandatory.

[quote]Molotov_Coktease wrote:
No children born for 19 years? Doesn’t sound like the end of the world to me, lets make it mandatory.[/quote]

Yea, it could help our overpopulation problems.

Maybe someone could release some infertility toxin into the air that lasts a couple years or so.

Of course, the government would have to keep it covered up.

I agree that this movie was awesome. It seemed real and gritty, almost like a saving private ryan without the hollywood forced down your throat emotion.

SPOILER ALERT!!

I dont know if this is a plot hole or what, but the death of the ex-wife didn’t make sense. Why did they wait to kill her in the car? Why would they risk shooting into the car with the unborn baby in there? Couldn’t they have just killed them both off after Clive got the papers, why did they arrange the elaborate scheme when they already had the girl and the baby?

it seemed for a group that touted itself the fix for the future, they were a bunch of cold blooded killers with little thought or direction about what they were doing.

Well, I finally got a chance to see the dvd. Thought it was great. Very gritty and realistic yet got the message across nicely. It doesn’t suprise me that some have problems with it because it requires them to think. That, after all is part of the message of the film and many people are uncomfortable with it. Some of the special features commentary was interesting as well. The philosophers and other commentators were sometimes over the top but still well worth watching.

Why does Hollywood always show a bleak vision of the future. Can anyone name 1 movie that shows the future in a positive light.

Either they are extremely pessimistic or it is cheaper to show a grim dark future than an uplifting one.

[quote]Razorslim wrote:
Why does Hollywood always show a bleak vision of the future. Can anyone name 1 movie that shows the future in a positive light.

Either they are extremely pessimistic or it is cheaper to show a grim dark future than an uplifting one.

[/quote]

I find the world to be a grim dark present rather than an uplifting one

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
Razorslim wrote:

I find the world to be a grim dark present rather than an uplifting one[/quote]

The whole star treck universe?