T Nation

A Few Questions for Church Goers

I am taking a communications class and was assigned to go to a sermon (had to draw out of a box) and answer a few questions. I then had to get 3 others to answer the same questions regarding a recent but, different sermon people had attended. Problem is I do not know any people who attend regularly. Those who do go, hardly pay attention. So, if you have a few minutes to answer it would be much appreciated.

1)Name of clergyman/date/location.

2)What was the topic of sermon.

3)How was the speakers delivery?

4)What did you like about the speakers nonverbal delivery and movement?

5)Was the speaker nervous? Were they enthusiastic about topic?

6)Did the speaker capture your attention?

7)What grade would you give the sermon and why?

1. Fr. John/6-24th/University of Illinois @ St. John’s Catholic Newman Center
  2. It’s actually called a homily, but it was on Beauty and Truth.
  3. Charismatic
  4. It emphasized the homily and key points.
  5. No. Very enthusiastic.
  6. Yes, my attention was on every word.
  7. A, because his homiletics were excellent.

[quote]maverick88 wrote: 1)Name of clergyman/date/location. [/quote]Christopher Brooks, 7-8-12, Evangel Ministries, Detroit Mi. USA [quote]maverick88 wrote: 2)What was the topic of sermon. [/quote] I chose this one instead of the most recent because it is the first in a series. An introduction to the book of Malachi, which is canonically speaking, the last book of the old testament and of the minor prophets. He touched on the fact that the book may not have been written by a guy named “Malachi”, but that the word “Malachi” simply means “my messenger” and this could be a general term for an anonymous author or possibly someone like Ezra though nobody knows for certain. He showed how the book is constructed like a legal document with charges, denials and dialog between “the Lord” and His covenant breaking people Israel. In a nutshell. He also affirmed the doctrine of sovereign election that is immediately addressed in the first few verses of the book, in this specific case, of nations. [quote]maverick88 wrote: 3)How was the speakers delivery? [/quote] Excellent as usual. [quote]maverick88 wrote: 4)What did you like about the speakers nonverbal delivery and movement? [/quote] He is not particularly demonstrative in the “nonverbal/movement” sense. He walks around a bit and leans into his hand held microphone occasionally if he gets particularly enthusiastic about something. He dresses sharp, but conservatively. [quote]maverick88 wrote: 5)Was the speaker nervous? Were they enthusiastic about topic? [/quote] He is never nervous and he is enthusiastic about everything in the Word of God. [quote]maverick88 wrote: 6)Did the speaker capture your attention? [/quote] Yes, he is a very capable public speaker and his love of Jesus and uncompromising commitment to the responsible and powerful handling of the scriptures makes him very easy to listen to. [quote]maverick88 wrote: 7)What grade would you give the sermon and why?[/quote] I don’t how to grade him exactly. I’m biased. He always gets between an A- and A+ from me or I’d go somewhere else. You can tell me. Here it is http://gregnmary.gotdns.com/audio/1malachi.mp3

[quote]maverick88 wrote:
I am taking a communications class and was assigned to go to a sermon (had to draw out of a box) and answer a few questions. I then had to get 3 others to answer the same questions regarding a recent but, different sermon people had attended. Problem is I do not know any people who attend regularly. Those who do go, hardly pay attention. So, if you have a few minutes to answer it would be much appreciated.

7)What grade would you give the sermon and why?[/quote]

You could take the confirmation class I taught, that would get you learnt.

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

Wait, the assignment is that you go to a sermon, why are you asking others?

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

Wait, the assignment is that you go to a sermon, why are you asking others? [/quote]

I did. I also had to get 3 other people to go but, it could not be to the same sermon. None of my friends go to church so, I was screwed.

Thanks for the responses they were very helpful.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
the last book of the old testament[/quote]

Macc 2, actually.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:[quote]Tiribulus wrote:the last book of the old testament[/quote]Macc 2, actually.[/quote]Ya jist kaynt hep it kenya Chris. =] If ya wanna git teknikal, the OT ended in the 2nd chapter of acts, but I don’t wanna hijack homeboy’s thread here.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:[quote]Tiribulus wrote:the last book of the old testament[/quote]Macc 2, actually.[/quote]Ya jist kaynt hep it kenya Chris. =] If ya wanna git teknikal, the OT ended in the 2nd chapter of acts, but I don’t wanna hijack homeboy’s thread here.
[/quote]

Actually the OT ends at Maccabees 2. The New Testament starts at Matthew, but was written after the New Covenant had been put into place.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[/quote]Actually the OT ends at Maccabees 2. The New Testament starts at Matthew, but was written after the New Covenant had been put into place.[/quote]I was speaking historically Chris. You know that =]

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[/quote]Actually the OT ends at Maccabees 2. The New Testament starts at Matthew, but was written after the New Covenant had been put into place.[/quote]I was speaking historically Chris. You know that =]
[/quote]

Yes, historically the NT was written after the New Covenant.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[/quote]

Yes, historically the NT was written after the New Covenant. [/quote]Can we take this to hijack haven or somewhere and Check your PM’s will ya please?

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

Wait, the assignment is that you go to a sermon, why are you asking others? [/quote]

I did. I also had to get 3 other people to go but, it could not be to the same sermon. None of my friends go to church so, I was screwed.
[/quote]

Okay… I am always suspicious of threads like this so that’s why I asked…

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[/quote]

Yes, historically the NT was written after the New Covenant. [/quote]Can we take this to hijack haven or somewhere and Check your PM’s will ya please?
[/quote]

LOL Haven’t been here in awhile but it’s nice to see that the more things change the more they stay the same…

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL Haven’t been here in awhile but it’s nice to see that the more things change the more they stay the same…[/quote]

As for me, you will always find me saying the same stuff I always have…

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL Haven’t been here in awhile but it’s nice to see that the more things change the more they stay the same…[/quote]

As for me, you will always find me saying the same stuff I always have…[/quote]

To quote one of my fav movies “Calm down Francis”.

I wasn’t referring to you I was referring to the two that continue like hens clucking at each other LOL

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:<<< I wasn’t referring to you I was referring to the two that continue like hens clucking at each other LOL[/quote]CLUCKING?!?!?!?! LOL!!! Nah. Dearest Christopher is my buddy. He just forgets that sometimes.