T Nation

A Fat Guy Seeking Help

I would love a treadmill but I live in an apartment and don’t really have room for one. I might be able to fit a stationary bike; I’ll look around. In the meantime I’m going to fast walk 4km wearing 45lbs 3 times a week in an effort to keep progress humming along. I was 259lbs this morning, down 26lbs from my heaviest.

A little over 4 pounds a week. I do expect that rate progress to slow with no running and less fat to lose. I’m already noticing my arms and legs getting harder and my clothes are fitting better.

If you already have a regular bike consider getting a resistance trainer you can put it on. I’m getting one when the weather gets cold. Fluid ones are suppose to be the quietest and most like riding on the road.

[quote]john2009 wrote:
If you already have a regular bike consider getting a resistance trainer you can put it on. I’m getting one when the weather gets cold. Fluid ones are suppose to be the quietest and most like riding on the road. [/quote]

I will be getting of of these next week. Great Idea :slight_smile:

I just finished reading this:

And I’m now wondering if I should be lowering my carb intake as fat loss is my prime goal. I am taking in no sugars or starchy carbs at all and only whole grains in the morning; should I cut out the morning oatmeal and slice of whole grain toast I enjoy with my eggs? (I alternate between oatmeal and eggs with toast every other morning)

Should I cut more carbs?

[quote]Scottish Warrior wrote:

And I’m now wondering if I should be lowering my carb intake as fat loss is my prime goal. I am taking in no sugars or starchy carbs at all and only whole grains in the morning; should I cut out the morning oatmeal and slice of whole grain toast I enjoy with my eggs? (I alternate between oatmeal and eggs with toast every other morning)

Should I cut more carbs?[/quote]

Have a look through the first 25 pages of this thread:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=658379

-james

I will, thanks james.

Well that’s a HUGE thread. I actually tried the AD years ago. I did not enjoy it very much and don’t want a diet that requires cycling, regardless thanks for the link…anyone else have any thoughts on lowering my carbs?

Well that’s a HUGE thread. I actually tried the AD years ago. I did not enjoy it very much and don’t want a diet that requires cycling, regardless thanks for the link…anyone else have any thoughts on lowering my carbs? [/quote]

Hey Scottish Warrior,

It’s nice to cut down on carbs but with all of the working out you are doing you are going to need some. You are changing a lot of things by just working out. Don’t make it a nightmare. You aren’t joining the MR Scotland Comp so just eat right and work out. I don’t think A piece of bread with your eggs will kill you.

No starchy veggies, potatoes, rice, that stuff, and keep with greens. Spinach, broccoli, and so on. Plenty of shakes and use some portion control. It’s not like you need to lose those last 5 stubborn lbs. Look at the bigger picture and it will fall in place. You want to lose 50lbs and you are worrying about a piece of bread with breakfast.

Live a little while you are kicking ass. Not to be a smart ass but I am guessing you didn’t gain that much weight by having a baked potato with dinner. You know what to do.

I’n in no way being criticle. I think what you are doing is great. In 99 I quit drugs and drink and went from 180 to 240. It came off in time but I got it done. So can you.

Scott

Some good thoughts, thanks Scott.

The more you read the more confusing things get sometimes.

Things I know for sure:

1. Eat 6 small meals with protein
  2. Lift weights using compound multi-joint exercises - Lift Heavy
  3. Eat clean non processed foods

Things I’m confused about:

Cardio…Good? Bad? Waste of Time?
Metabolic Rate…REALLY important? Not Important? Do the calories burned during exercise matter or only the fact that you are
increasing your metabolic rate…

My Doctor told me the ONLY thing that matters is creating a calorie deficit and the rest is BS.

He recommended a 1200 to 1500 cals a days a lots of walking, he told me not to worry about body composition until I get under 200lbs…I KNOW THIS CAN"T BE RIGHT!

There is so much contrary information around it’s driving me nuts.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THE BEST WAY TO LOSE BODY FAT?!?!?!?!?

From my uneducated standpoint, I’d say your doctor was full of it. It’s been rehashed in a lot of T-Nation articles that you build muscles to burn fat. You burn calories as you build muscles, and then you burn calories to maintain them. I’d say that body composition is pretty important.

Since I’m fairly skinny, it’s really not fair for me to say this.
Having said that, you should get in the pool for your cardio. Swimming strengthens the muscles that stabilize and protect your joints and it’s impact free, which means no damaged knees.

Maybe there’s some jackass who snickers when you approach the pool. Ignore him and get your laps done, as he is, in truth, just that. A jackass.

Forgot to add: for fat loss, cardio definitely is a good thing.

When you said “1 cup of 1% cottage cheese…” does that mean 1 cup of 1% fat cottage cheese? Or are you adding 99 parts water for every 1 part cheese? :stuck_out_tongue:

I think you might be in danger of depriving yourself of fats. The idea being that if your body gets carbohydrates, but no (or not enough) fats, in preparation for any upcoming famines, your body will store the carbs as fat so that you won’t starve during said famine. Since you’re not doing anything radical like the AD or a ketogenic diet (one where you deprive yourself of carbs to force the body to use fats for energy) you probably want “25-35% of your energy intake [comes] from fat” as said by Berardi.

Hope you figure things out
Adell

PS
If you haven’t already seen them, here are http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493
Berardi’s 7 Eating Guidelines

PPS I used to play hold’em, but I blew my bankroll and have since not reinvested. I hope you thrive on those fishies!

Insead of walking with a weighted backpack or vest (both of which are good in most cases, but not if you’re having knee isssues). You might want to try dragging a sled. This seems to be pretty easy on my knees and back, but makes for a hard workout.

I’m jsut starting thsi and do 10 reps up a hill about 100 yrds long at a local park. I didn’t know I’d like it so intead of spending $150 for a commercial one, I made one from an old tire (free at the tire store) a tow strap from Wal-Mart ($15) and bags of sand from Home Depot ($2.50 per 75 lbs) and an old weight belt.

Interesting idea about the sled john, I’ll think about that.

Thanks for your comments Adell…and yes it’s 1 cup of 1% fat cottage cheese.

I’m not a doctor, but I tend to agree with Adell that he’s full of it unless you have some conditions you haven’t mentoned in your posts. Adell didn’t mention it, but I really question the idea of a 1200-1500 cal/day diet. Any nutritional information I’ve ever seen questions diets much lower than 1,500 cal/day for males, especially those who are exercising.

Try looking at the American College of Sports Medicine website. I believe most professionals would consider ACSM information high credibility. Question in a non-confrontational way your doctor’s advise that doesn’t jive with ACSM’s. He may have very good reasons for what he’s saying, but you want to know why.

Try the Velocity Diet, or at least the V-Diet Lite that was posted last week. Apparently author Dan John went through that diet, set a new state record while on it, lost his big pot-belly somewhere and reclaimed his body and health. I’ve done this diet too.

This diet does a great job of restoring good metabolism, sense of well-being, and wanting to do some manly shit like lifting heavy stuff and driving loud motorized vehicles.

I have been considering the V-diet but their are some things in my life that would make this diet VERY difficult if not impossible.

I just received my copy of Berardi’s “The Metabolism Advantage” yesterday (I ordered it based on the recommendation of some T-Nation readers) and I read the first 50 pages last night. It has helped me understand some things; John REALLY seems to know what he is talking about.

What fucks me up is when I read contrary information an equally knowledgeable and respected PhD or nutrition/health guru. Many health professionals don’t think you can do anything to reverse the inevitable metabolic slowdown; all the conflicting information and research supported schools of thought drive me nuts. For instance, the �??cardio�?? debate.

F
u
c
k

Berardi and Shugart are definitely the two guys who would put you on the right path to health and ass kicking. We know that those two are the ones who walk the walk, and test theories on themselves before telling them to other people.

I look forward to your input from using Berardi’s book. According to T members who are approaching 40 and 50 years, you don’t have to slow down in any capacity with good eating and good training.

Now I,m wishing I had of taken so “before” shots…my results to date are pretty impressive.

Just finished reading the “Berardi’s 7 Eating Guidelines” that Adell recommended. It’s fantastic.

I have made some changes to both my training and diet, I’ll post about them later.

I also have a “Turkey Chili” recipe (I’m a pretty good cook, a little of the reason I’m so Goddamn fat at the moment) that kicks total ass that I’ll share when I have a chance to type it up.

Should I cut more carbs?[/quote]

I think your carbs are low enough already. If you count your calories & carbs I’d be surprised if your carbs aren’t lower than 25% of your total intake. That’s low enough, in my opinion.

Don’t panic. And don’t re-analyze the plan you’ve already made. Just have faith in it. Stick with it and make small changes as you notice issues, and only as you notice issues.

Like when you stopped running because of the pain. Not a big deal to ditch the running, the main thing is the lifting. And you can always cycle instead anyway.

If you start feeling like crap, raise your carbs a little. If you feel too hungry, raise your calories a little. And consider taking a break from dieting every 12 weeks. (By taking a break I just mean raising the calories to maintenance level and raising the carbs to normal levels.)

I have been considering the V-diet but their are some things in my life that would make this diet VERY difficult if not impossible.

I just received my copy of Berardi’s “The Metabolism Advantage” yesterday (I ordered it based on the recommendation of some T-Nation readers) and I read the first 50 pages last night. It has helped me understand some things; John REALLY seems to know what he is talking about.

What fucks me up is when I read contrary information an equally knowledgeable and respected PhD or nutrition/health guru. Many health professionals don’t think you can do anything to reverse the inevitable metabolic slowdown; all the conflicting information and research supported schools of thought drive me nuts. For instance, the �??cardio�?? debate.

F
u
c
k

[/quote]

Try to focus on what (reasonable) people agree on, rather than on conflicting information. In particular, some highlights:

• Exercise wise, the most important thing is resistance training. I think everyone on this site would agree on that. So don’t worry about the cardio. If you can do some extra cardio on top of the lifting, great. If not, big deal. And definitely don’t hurt yourself doing cardio, or spend too much time doing it.

• Take a long-term approach, be patient. At your body weight, eating 1500cals per day as your doctor recommended is silly. You’ll lose some fat pretty quickly, and after 4-8 weeks or so you’ll feel so bad that you’ll decide it isn’t for you and you’ll quit completely. Or worse, you’ll be a stubborn s.o.b. and stick with it, in which case you’ll probably end up looking like an skeleton and possibly hurt your metabolism.

Both excellent posts cblasco…thanks.