A Family Dog

Maybe you should adopt Print? :stuck_out_tongue:

Good advice all round here. I’d like to add the good old doberman as a family favourite.

A great family dog if brought up well. My eldest daughter used to sit on my old dog Sam and pull his ears until he walked away with a hurt look on his face.

He was also a great way of getting rid of any (raw) potatoes that were going spare. For some strange reason known only to himself he’d eat them over dog biscuits.

All the other suggestions here are great too - I’m a huge fan of Mastiffs as a big dog that’s amazingly friendly.

It all depends on how much attention you give them [dogs in general] and how you bring them up. Treat them with love and compassion but let them know who’s boss.

Difficult with some breads (Bassets are awesome but they really do their own thing) but never impossible.

The main thing - get a mutt that you all like and make it part of your family.

How could you not love a dog like this? This is my pup Roscoe.

Edit: Roscoe is proof that dogs can be un-photogenic too.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
FormerlyTexasGuy wrote:
I’ve always liked labs myself. Very friendly, playful, even tempered and loyal. I have two young cousins who yank on my lab’s tail, play with his ears… pretty much everything dogs hate and he just sulks until they leave. Occassionally he will give a quick bark if something hurts but will never bite.

A stranger comes to the door though and his teeth are bared, slobber froths out of his mouth and he’s ready to attack until he sees a family member give a friendly reception.

Also like to comment on this. If you want a dog to protect your family, a lab does a pretty good job of scaring the shit out of people that knock on the door. I was often surprised how big and bad mine sounded when someone strange would knock. Remember, he ran from squirrels. Small ones.

[/quote]

Mine has eaten a few squirrels. He chases them all the time and occassionally gets lucky. I never snipped him so he manages to escape the yard frequently, not even sure how. 8ft fence, no holes, gates shut… he was easy to train and is apparantly good at figuring shit out on his own too. I usually get calls about him being in some random backyard breeding a bitch. Good Dog!

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
wfifer wrote:
Get a Weimaraner. They’re clean, great with kids and love to run around outside.

Respectfully, I disagree.

My good friend had to recently get rid of his fiancees weimeraner, since it was TOO active and on the boil. He tried everything he could, to adapt its behaviour, including dog training and activity classes.

They had a dobermann too which was well behaved and they kept him, but the weimeraner is a working dog and just couldn’t cope without constant stimulation.

However you can’t plot a graph from one point. I’m sure not all weimeraners are this intense.

Bushy[/quote]

My Weimeraner story is bad. I was high school aged, and owned one. He bit a young girl in the face, attacked our neighbor’s sheep, and then began stalking the horse. Needless to say, he wasn’t around much longer after that episode.

[quote]Renton wrote:

(Bassets are awesome but they really do their own thing) [/quote]

Truer words never typed. Take it from someone who had two of the best Basset Hounds that God ever put on this earth. They are HARD headed! Smart, lovable as anything, but definitely waddling to their own drummer. GOD, I love 'em!!

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Edit: Roscoe is proof that dogs can be un-photogenic too.[/quote]

I like his pic!! Where in Miss’ippi are you? I’m on the Coast.

[quote]VanderLaan wrote:
Stella doing what she does best…

[/quote]

Awesome! Nothin’ greater than seein’ a dog doing its thing. Go, Stella!

[quote]Geminspector wrote:

Kids as young as 5 and 7 are not old enough to abide by the rules of structured puppy-training protocol - you will wind up with a confused “bad” dog. The SPCA (or other local shelter) has wonderful young-adult displaced dogs looking for a forever home. Good luck.
[/quote]

Back on topic and I’ll stop hogging this thread.

The above is some of the BEST advice you’ll get. The dog will be confused by someone he feels he “outranks” admonishing him. This will lead to unpleasantries, confusion, and possible “personality disorders.”

What Geminspector says about SPCA and other shelters is spot on. You’ll find a good dog and he/she’ll honestly appreciate a new lease on life.

[quote]WxHerk wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:

Edit: Roscoe is proof that dogs can be un-photogenic too.

I like his pic!! Where in Miss’ippi are you? I’m on the Coast.

[/quote]

Actually I just moved to Nashville, need to update my profile. I was in Greenwood for the past 3 years, so I wasn’t a coastie.

[quote]Geminspector wrote:
I will add my .02 although you have gotten very sage advice so far.

Of the 3 dogs you listed, the Boxer is the best choice. Hopefully you have a large fenced yard. Boxers are very energetic. Adequate exercise will discourage boredom-associated behaviors like chewing and digging, favorite Boxer pastimes. If you do not have the VAST amount of time to invest in training a dog, I would discourage getting a pup.
[/quote]

Agreed 100%. I’m now on my second boxer and it would be difficult to ever convince me to get another breed. They need plenty of exercise, but are loyal and gentle. Mine seems to know that when a child comes up to her that she shouldn’t jump.

She’ll lie there and be rubbed and of course try to lick you. They keep their puppy energy through most of their lives. We put our previous boxer down when she was 10 and she had tons of energy until about a week before then.

What you do have to look for though are health problems. Boxers are infamous for their hips/knee issues and often heart murmers.

And since we’re all sharing, here’s my princess just a few months ago.

American Pit Bull Terrier. NOT the BS cross-bread retarded backyard breeder ones that have been bread with mastiffs and shit to make them weigh over 100lbs. A real american pit is wonderful and my favorite breed of dog by far.

Its probably because they have always been my fathers breed of choice and that has rubbed off on me. They are extremely loyal, fun, energetic and athletic, etc.

There are a few things about them though, they don’t do well with other dogs of the same sex. They need LOTS of exercise, unless you have lots of time to play with them/walk them etc I wouldn’t suggest having one.

My girl has a male companion that she loves and they play hard and long all day long. I highly discourage owning an american pit female and having another female dog in the house tho, if you are going to have 2 dogs make it one of each sex…they will get along better and not battle for dominance all the time.

Anyway my pit is a girl and everyone absolutely loves her and thinks she is the most fun, adorable, friendly dog on this planet. Even people who were once in the “pit bulls are evil” crowd love my girl.

In the pic you will see that my girl is spoiled and allowed to be on the couch. This is one of the perks of having a clean, short-hair breed�?�they don�??t get fur everywhere.

[quote]josh86 wrote:
American Pit Bull Terrier. NOT the BS cross-bread retarded backyard breeder ones that have been bread with mastiffs and shit to make them weigh over 100lbs. A real american pit is wonderful and my favorite breed of dog by far.

Its probably because they have always been my fathers breed of choice and that has rubbed off on me. They are extremely loyal, fun, energetic and athletic, etc.

There are a few things about them though, they don’t do well with other dogs of the same sex. They need LOTS of exercise, unless you have lots of time to play with them/walk them etc I wouldn’t suggest having one.

My girl has a male companion that she loves and they play hard and long all day long. I highly discourage owning an american pit female and having another female dog in the house tho, if you are going to have 2 dogs make it one of each sex…they will get along better and not battle for dominance all the time.

Anyway my pit is a girl and everyone absolutely loves her and thinks she is the most fun, adorable, friendly dog on this planet. Even people who were once in the “pit bulls are evil” crowd love my girl.

In the pic you will see that my girl is spoiled and allowed to be on the couch. This is one of the perks of having a clean, short-hair breed�?�they don�??t get fur everywhere.
[/quote]

/sarcasm on

But, but, but, Josh, the media tells me that pit bulls are dangerous dogs and should be banned!!! You mean to tell me that pit bulls raised by responsible, caring adults and not by thug losers, can be good family dogs? That’s just crazy talk.

/sarcasm off

[quote]josh86 wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah, my parents have a female pit bull, and she is one of the sweetest dogs. She gets along great with my malamute too. She also happens to be pretty stupid, don’t know if that’s a breed trait though.

LOL, that’s not really a breed trait at all. My dog is probably the smartest dog I have ever seen, as far as cunning goes. She can trick the other dogs out of just about anything they have that she wants without even having to fight for it, lol.

She also tries to “sneak” up on you. Like if you tell her to laydown and stay she will do so, then when you aren’t fully paying attention she will start to like military crawl in your direction everytime you look away…its pretty funny.

She is hard headed as hell though. That I will say.

Oh and I almost forgot: I HATE the media and I can easily list three reasons why…

1. Irresponsible negative propaganda against Pit Bulls. This is a single breed, American Pit Bull Terrier, and they use it to classify ANYTHING with a blocky shaped head.

Everything they claim about Pit Bulls goes 100% against what the fucking breed was bread for! They were breed to be extremely loving with families and people in general, they are the opposite of human aggressive, dogs that exhibited that trait were put down and not allowed to be bread because that was deemed an undesireable trait.

Breed specific dog legislation is no different than racism. Fuck, I can’t express in words how much I truly fucking hate this.

1. Irresponsible negative propaganda against marijuana. I don’t want to totally derail this thread so I wont go into detail on this one.

2. Irresponsible negative propaganda against steroids. I don’t want to totally derail this thread so I won’t go into detail on this one either. lol

[quote]josh86 wrote:
LOL, that’s not really a breed trait at all. My dog is probably the smartest dog I have ever seen, as far as cunning goes. She can trick the other dogs out of just about anything they have that she wants without even having to fight for it, lol.

She also tries to “sneak” up on you. Like if you tell her to laydown and stay she will do so, then when you aren’t fully paying attention she will start to like military crawl in your direction everytime you look away…its pretty funny.

She is hard headed as hell though. That I will say.[/quote]
Yours too? Mine is a mix I got from the shelter and he will go commando on me all the time. He does it when he meats a new dog too.

Pitts get a bad rap, they score higher on personality and temperament test that B. Collies, German Shepherds and even Beagles. My best friend has a full blooded Pitt and she if funny as hell

Took mine to an off the leash dog park yesterday for the first time and it was a blast! I had as much fun as him just watching him and the other dogs run and play.

Im another for your local shelter/SPCA the only dog I will ever have again thats isnt from their will be and E.Bulldog just b/c I have always wanted one and the are funny as hell =)

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
Attached is the grandfather of my boy Neely, a 286 pound fella by the name of Oki Sama.
[/quote]

ND does that thing come with a saddel?

Himora - Hell yeah isn’t that commando shit awesome? It cracks me up every time!

[quote]josh86 wrote:
Himora - Hell yeah isn’t that commando shit awesome? It cracks me up every time![/quote]

Heh yeah and he likes to bring me his bone or what ever he is chewing on at the time and put it right in my face or on my lap. Then he will is and look at me like, “ok 1 of 2 things are going to happen here. 1: your going to throw that thing Ill go get it and bring it back or 2: your going to sit there and hold it while I sit here and chew on it.”

I have never seen a dog that wanted someone to hold their bone while he chews on it b4, but he does.

[quote]Himora22 wrote:
I have never seen a dog that wanted someone to hold their bone while he chews on it b4, but he does.
[/quote]

So you two are…close?