T Nation

A Different Kind of Split

Instead of having the traditional 4 exercises per muscle group one day and wait a week to hit that same muscle group again what if you took the 4 exercises and split them into different days. Has anyone tried something similar to this or would I be wasting my time doing it?

To me all you are doing is taking the same volume as in a traditional split given in the above example and spread it out through the week but not giving the target muscle a huge gap to be trained again.

Eg. To give a general idea. Sets 3-4; reps 6-15

Monday: Chest (2 exercise)/Back (2 exercises)/Arms (2,4 exercises)/Lateral Delts(1-2 exercise)

Tuesday: OFF

Wednesday: Legs (3 exercises) /Calves (2 exercises)

Thursday: OFF

Friday: Chest (2 exercise)/Back (2 exercises)/Arms (2,4 exercises)/Lateral Delts(1-2 exercise)

Saturday:Off

Sunday: Legs(3 exercises)/Calves (2 exercises)
KEEP PATTERN GOING

I think you might be on to something…

[quote]Fuzzyapple.Train wrote:
Instead of having the traditional 4 exercises per muscle group one day and wait a week to hit that same muscle group again what if you took the 4 exercises and split them into different days. Has anyone tried something similar to this or would I be wasting my time doing it? To me all you are doing is taking the same volume as in a traditional split given in the above example and spread it out through the week but not giving the target muscle a huge gap to be trained again.

Eg. To give a general idea. Sets 3-4; reps 6-15

Monday: Chest (2 exercise)/Back (2 exercises)/Arms (2,4 exercises)/Lateral Delts(1-2 exercise)

Tuesday: OFF

Wednesday: Legs (3 exercises) /Calves (2 exercises)

Thursday: OFF

Friday: Chest (2 exercise)/Back (2 exercises)/Arms (2,4 exercises)/Lateral Delts(1-2 exercise)

Saturday:Off

Sunday: Legs(3 exercises)/Calves (2 exercises)
KEEP PATTERN GOING[/quote]

This is kinda what zraw has had me doing

Day 1: Quads ( 2 exercises), chest (2 exercises), Delts ( 2 exercises), Tris (2 exercises)

Day 2: Hams (2) Back (4) bis (2)

Day 3: Quads (1) Chest (3) Delts (3) tris (2)

Day 4: Hams (2) Back (4) bis (3)

This what ive been doing for the last 8 weeks.

I just tried this method, I was benching 3x per week , doing back 3x per week and legs 3x per week. I kept the volume down though as i only did 1 exercise per body part, occasionally two. I combined it with progressive overload weight wise and was able to add 5 lbs a week for 4 weeks, starting to taper off a bit though. Honestly worked very well and I was able to recover for each session easy enough due to the low volume. I think It works better also because your 1 exercise per body part is when you’re totally fresh, so It does more for the muscle.

This is just an upper/lower split. This has been around for a thousand years. There are benefits to it, and drawbacks.

The drawbacks, in my specific case, is that if I always have arms and delts last in the session, they will ALWAYS get the shit end of the stick. If I do arms and delts first, I might as well not even waste my time with chest and back. My back also needs a lot of volume at once to really grow. That’s what I’ve found to work for it, straight sets of 8-12 reps and lots of them. Intensity techniques don’t really work for my back (except shrugs I guess).

The biggest benefits (for me) were for chest and legs. Working legs twice a week with limited volume is basically how my legs got to be the size they are now though. It worked very well for them.

Gonna echo what steel nation said.

Nothing wrong with an upper/lower split, but whatever bodyparts you train first will get the best stimulus, so be careful not to let your weak points lag too badly.

[quote]mat_angus wrote:

This is exactly what I was going for. Knew I wasn’t the only person(s) to make something like this. It honestly did not don on me that it was a “upper/lower” split! I like it thus far. I will take note of that Steel and H4M.

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond.

Mike Mentzer’s original HIT routines were arranged something like this before he went off the deep end.

I do a split thats torso-appendage, 4 workouts a week, sounds like what your talking about, everthing gets hit twice. I superset push and pull, day 1, than superset legs and arms on day 2, take a day off and repeat. over the years I’ve tried lots of splits, but this is the one I keep comming back to. I think everyone has a go to split, they go back to.

I don’t know what goals your after, but from an athletic, speed and power stand point, this works well for me. 2cents

This is similar to the Hernon/Big Beyond Belief 2 way split. I used

Day One: Chest/Back/Triceps/Biceps

Day Two: Delts/Quads/Hams/Calves/Abs

alternating 6x a week, 1 day off for awhile. I only did one lift per BP, and was careful with exercise selection (only iso movements on delts, SLDL’s over Conventional DL’s) and I loved it.