T Nation

A Crazy Idea

Forgive me if this sounds crazy but I’ve had an idea that I’m keen to try. Before I try it I was wondering whether anyone had heard of anything similar, or if you guys think it has any merit.

The concept is as follows:
occasionally break one’s regular routine by training one major muscle-group all day. For example, taking the chest and starting at, say, 8am with 3 sets of flat bench press. At 9am 3 sets of Incline bench press, at 10am, 3 sets of decline bench press.

At 11am 3 sets of flat dumbell flies, at 12 noon 3 sets of incline flies. At 1pm 3 sets of decline flies, at 2pm 3 sets of pec deck, at 3pm 3 sets of cables … and so on until 5pm.

Please give me your opinions?

That sort of thing can work very well for strength in the short term, but with low reps and, generally, the same or very similar movements performed again and again at different times of the day.

As far as size, it might work ok, but so what? It’s not going to work that much better, if at all, than doing all the work in one shot. Hypertrophy can only happen so quickly…if you want to maximize the rate of gain, you probably need to focus more on nutrition and recovery.

Training only stimulates growth…once adequate training is in place, screwing around with it isn’t going to make things happen that much faster.

Good luck.

ive heard people have gained a whole inch on there biceps from training like this, but if so id think everyone would be walking around w/ 20 inch pipes lol. neways i tried it for biceps one day nd saw nothin spectacular. give it a try nd tell us how you made out.

Thanks guys … I’ll try it one day soon. The PTs at my gym have very mixed views about it … ‘divided opinion’ one might say!

Well I remember reading in “Arnold: The education of a bodybuilder” that he would pick one bodypart and just blast it all day. He described how he and a buddy did something like 55 sets of squats in one day! Who knows if it’s true.

I first read the book when I was 15 and I recently read it again and was surprised to read some stuff that now seems like such bullshit! But he said it worked but he was so sore that he couldn’t train legs again for a couple of weeks.

[quote]EdChap wrote:
You have no life.[/quote]

I disagree. People with enthusiasm (such as this poster) have very much of a life.

Arnold did similar things. Would you accuse him of not having one?

[quote]1morerep wrote:
“Well I remember reading in “Arnold: The education of a bodybuilder” that he would pick one bodypart and just blast it all day. He described how he and a buddy did something like 55 sets of squats in one day! Who knows if it’s true.”

Arnold must not have had a life either. lol

It’s funny how the people who are so quick to accuse others of having no life, live very tedious and goal-less lives themselves. I know the type and they are uninspiring and insecure.

search for the “one day arm cure” its on this site by Poliquin. Nothing new under the sun kid.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
ive heard people have gained a whole inch on there biceps from training like this, but if so id think everyone would be walking around w/ 20 inch pipes lol. neways i tried it for biceps one day nd saw nothin spectacular. give it a try nd tell us how you made out.

[/quote]

I’m with Ramo on this one. Growth happens during rest not in the gym. This would lead unavoidably to the conclusion that once maximal stimulation is reached more work is useless at best and counterproductive at worst. What he’s saying makes sense about training for strength though too. Lots of time to recharge, low reps and well timed meals over a day sounds effective for strength at least sometimes.