T Nation

A Confession

Looking back at my very first year of training, and especially my first several months, had there been a ubiquitous internet brimming with information and had there been forums like these I most likely would have asked questions every bit as inane and meaningless as some of the ones others are asking now.

I had the internet during my first years of training, and researched for about 6 months without asking a question. I didn’t post all the ridiculous questions, but I confess I thought pretty much all of them.

I also wanted to look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club. I also wanted to cut when I was 176 lbs at 6’2.

I’m sure I would’ve asked my fair share of idiotic statements. But some things people say or ask are just criminally retarded and make NO sense. They are simply illogical and in no way could I imagine ever thinking them.

I took one of my roommates bottled waters.

I’m secretly glad that all the triple dorm rooms were taken for next year since I didn’t want two roommates next year in the first place but I didn’t want to turn the guy down.

I didn’t Squat for two weeks. Last Wednesday and today I’ve struggled to Box Squat by best Front Squat. I didn’t expect to put up big numbers my first week back but I did break a Rack Pull PR Sunday. That smoked me pretty good and I never recovered from that workout since I tried to learn how to throw the hammer for nearly an hour on Tuesday. I punished myself with some Sled Drags, Sled CV Deadlifts, and heavy Decline Crunches and Russian Twists.

It still hasn’t washed away the shame and since I didn’t Squat what I wanted today, I’m not entirely confident I’ll be able to clean what I had in mind for Sunday. This is driving me nuts. The fact that it’s driving me nuts is also driving me nuts since it’s a sign of weakness and lack of self-esteem.

So my last confession is I’m fucking crazy.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Looking back at my very first year of training, and especially my first several months, had there been a ubiquitous internet brimming with information and had there been forums like these I most likely would have asked questions every bit as inane and meaningless as some of the ones others are asking now.

[/quote]

I started training with the internet as mainstream ('05), but as far as MEANINGLESS questions I didn’t ask. Personally, I believed that people would get annoyed if I asked them questions, so I just read books and experimented in the gym. Eventually I got around to ask the big guys what direction I need to be heading.

If people believed that others would be annoyed with meaningless questions (answers that could be found by READING and EXPERIMENTING), then half this shit would be non-existent.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
So my last confession is I’m fucking crazy. [/quote]

You’re not alone. I think the general population views “hardcore” bodybuilders/powerlifters as crazy, and if that’s crazy I’m happy to be crazy. If that makes any sense at all…

I bench more for reps than I can squat for 1RM. I have virtually no lower back because I think I have deadlifted maybe a total of 10 times in my life. My highschool weight training coaches sucked. Bench and quarter squats only indeed.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:

I started training with the internet as mainstream ('05), but as far as MEANINGLESS questions I didn’t ask. Personally, I believed that people would get annoyed if I asked them questions, so I just read books and experimented in the gym. Eventually I got around to ask the big guys what direction I need to be heading.

If people believed that others would be annoyed with meaningless questions (answers that could be found by READING and EXPERIMENTING), then half this shit would be non-existent.[/quote]

At the time I wouldn’t have recognized them as meaningless. I got over that stage to a large degree back then, but I did go through the over analyzing super studious mode even without the internet. Probably lasted 7 or 8 months.

I bring this up because I’m trying to put myself in the place of some of the noobs.

[quote]
I bring this up because I’m trying to put myself in the place of some of the noobs.[/quote]

When I was 15 and first started lifting, I did full body workouts every day for a whole summer. Because of stuff like this, I try to be understanding to beginners, and in real life I think I’m rather helpful.

However, when on T-Nation, I expect a whole lot more out of people who are posting. I don’t have any illusions that T-Nation is some elite fraternity of hardcore lifters, but I do have some expectation that people should know the basics. There’s no lack of free information on this site, and there’s really no excuse to not know your stuff.

Therefore, I have little compassion when noobs get flamed mercilessly.

I’ve been here for years, and I still read more than I post. I figure that any questions have most likely already been answered, so I make extensive use of the search function.

You don’t even know how many times I’ve used the search function.

I don’t really see the point of asking questions when the answer is somewhere. You usually end up understanding it better figuring it out on your own time anyways.

[quote]CJK wrote:
I had the internet during my first years of training, and researched for about 6 months without asking a question. I didn’t post all the ridiculous questions, but I confess I thought pretty much all of them.

I also wanted to look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club. I also wanted to cut when I was 176 lbs at 6’2. [/quote]

im still after brad’s physique in that movie.

• a good deadlift

however -

1. the purpose of this forum is so that the wise can impart knowledge or preferably exchange and debate it.
  2. more often than not the noob wants to hear multiple arguments over his subject matter so he can make the choice
  3. more often than not the noob wouldnt know what to search for and just needs a nudge in the right direction - i.e being given a beginner link like 7 habits (instead of him plowing straight into a carb cycling article for his 1st read)
  4. the site doesnt give a clear indication of where to start
  5. if it pissed us off that much we wouldnt be talking about it so much, and we wouldnt have so much fun posting on the noobs threads.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
CJK wrote:

I also wanted to look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club. I also wanted to cut when I was 176 lbs at 6’2.

• a good deadlift
    [/quote]

GTFO

[quote]chutec wrote:

1. the site doesnt give a clear indication of where to start

[/quote]

When you sign up you are instructed to read the stickies in the Beginners section. I did (perhaps I am a geek). If the question is answered there than either the questioner did not read carefully or was too lazy to read the stickies.

When I started lifting I got Arnold’s book for $3 and read it. I did bodyweight exercises and practiced some basic movements in my dorm using whatever I could find, backpacks, can of beans, broomstick, etc. After three months I went to the gym and implemented what I had read about and learned. When the big guys started to say hi to me (that took a couple of months) then I started asking questions. See, I figured I had to prove myself first. I am starting to believe that must be a peculiar personality disorder.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
CJK wrote:

• a good deadlift
    [/quote]

It shouldn’t be that hard…

When I started, I joined a gym and got 3 free sessions with a trainer. I looked like Mary-Kate Olsen and told him I wanted to gain weight. I did everything the trainer said to the letter regarding training. No internet, books, or magazines initially, just listening to the trainer.

However, I argued with him about nutrition. He didn’t give me a specific diet to follow, but he did advocate protein. I was anti-animal-protein because I believed the book Fit for Life and was eating a vegan diet. As I had read in the book, I would argue, “Well, cows eat grass all day and they have plenty of muscle!”

Ha ha.

My stupidest beginner question was “is it bad if I keep my house at 16 degrees Celsius in the winter or should I turn up the heat so I burn fewer calories”. I’m apparently well adapted to cold…

After a few months of lifting, I was absolutely sure that the only way to gain big muscle was to do about 20-30 sets on every body part, 8-12 reps on them all. The furthest my compound movements spanned was bench press and smith 3/4 squats. hXc!!!11

That was a dark time in my training life.