T Nation

A Complex Question

8mo months ago I had a big increase in my strength after adopting the Massive Eating and Dirty Bulk philosophy.

I used to eat 4 servings of oats a day + alot of other carbs.

Now Im on a low carb diet with practically zero carbs over my day except in the 2 hours before my workout when I eat some complex carbs and right before leaving some high GI carbs such as Maltodex.

Even though I have gained size all over (e.g. 2in on biceps) my Bench press load has decreased 80lbs as did other big lifts.

Is this all because of the carbs?

Sounds like it’s because of not eating enough. Post your entire diet.

[quote]FKStd wrote:
my Bench press load has decreased 80lbs as did other big lifts.

[/quote]

How long did it take for you to lose this much strength?

I assume, being in the beginners forum, your not dieting for a show, so I would suggest eating again, because that is a lot of muscle to lose man.

What the hell did you just stop lifting?

By that time I was 75kg (165lbs) bf%15 and ate really big no restrictions. Now Im 94kg (207lb) bf%17 I have more muscle size but I eat no carbs except before workout Ive also cut the oats.

That is why I cant figure it out. Anyone who sees my progress in terms of size thinks Im much stronger but Im weaker.

My supplements remain the same. Bcaa+whey. My protein Intake is alot greater than it was. The only difference are the carbs.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
so I would suggest eating again, because that is a lot of muscle to lose man.
[/quote]

I did not lose muscle. In fact have more muscle now than I had then. My strength is what decreased.

[quote]FKStd wrote:
countingbeans wrote:

I did not lose muscle. In fact have more muscle now than I had then. My strength is what decreased.[/quote]

That makes zero sense in my mind. How can your muscles get bigger as you get weaker?

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
FKStd wrote:
countingbeans wrote:

I did not lose muscle. In fact have more muscle now than I had then. My strength is what decreased.

That makes zero sense in my mind. How can your muscles get bigger as you get weaker?[/quote]

x2
Unless you have some strange disease, this doesn’t make sense…
So when you were doing bench press were you actually lowering the load each week?

the only other thing i would guess is a plateau. ive never heard of anyone dropping 80 pounds on theb ench but ive dropped around 30 from a plateau

[quote]BeastKing wrote:
the only other thing i would guess is a plateau. ive never heard of anyone dropping 80 pounds on theb ench but ive dropped around 30 from a plateau[/quote]

You did this under your own volition as a “reset” or “deload” correct, to work back up to where you were stuck prior in the hopes of surpassing it?

I mean if I was consistently losing strength like that workout to workout, I would have figured out something was fucked up well before I lost 80lbs on my lifts. (Unless I was starving myself and staying up all night, then I would understand why it was happening, but wouldn’t expect growth either.)

It’s obvious what’s going on here. You have AIDS.

[quote]artw wrote:
It’s obvious what’s going on here. You have AIDS.[/quote]

Maybe I’m a bastard but I laughed. I think the OP knows it but won’t tell us…look at his name closely…

Haha I get the irony with my name… but I assure you I like the way it flows with the condom… specially when it has cherry smell.

Since I have an elevated bf% now Im not eating carbs thats the only explanation I came with. And I dont know why it greatly affects my bench while not so much some other lifts.

I stopped working out for 3 months and gave up on the eating. And now my BP has dropped 50% and wont go up since I have no energy and get tired fast from avoiding the carbs. My BP load oscillates from session to session. Since that time I never had any constant increase even though Im getting bigger in size with no problem.

Im not hiding anything because its not of my interest to continue having a poor performance. Its not even smart to consider that possibility.

And I did not lowered my loads each week, that was the complete opposite of what I was doing.

[quote]FKStd wrote:
Haha I get the irony with my name… but I assure you I like the way it flows with the condom… specially when it has cherry smell.

Since I have an elevated bf% now Im not eating carbs thats the only explanation I came with. And I dont know why it greatly affects my bench while not so much some other lifts.

I stopped working out for 3 months and gave up on the eating. And now my BP has dropped 50% and wont go up since I have no energy and get tired fast from avoiding the carbs. My BP load oscillates from session to session. Since that time I never had any constant increase even though Im getting bigger in size with no problem.

Im not hiding anything because its not of my interest to continue having a poor performance. Its not even smart to consider that possibility.

And I did not lowered my loads each week, that was the complete opposite of what I was doing.
[/quote]

What do you eat for carbs before training?
You just said so yourself that you have no energy at the gym…no wonder you can’t lift shit. I suspect all that bulking has made you carbophobic. Now you’ve adopted the exact opposite diet.
NO ONE can make strength gains on a zero carb diet…

[quote]Nyral wrote:
FKStd wrote:

You just said so yourself that you have no energy at the gym…no wonder you can’t lift shit. I suspect all that bulking has made you carbophobic. Now you’ve adopted the exact opposite diet.
[/quote]

The only time of the day I eat carbs is in the 1hour before my workout. But I think thats not enough, is it?

100g of some complex carbs -1h 50g of high GI carbs -15min (rice, pasta + maltodextrine)

[quote]FKStd wrote:
Nyral wrote:
FKStd wrote:

The only time of the day I eat carbs is in the 1hour before my workout. But I think thats not enough, is it?

100g of some complex carbs -1h 50g of high GI carbs -15min (rice, pasta + maltodextrine)[/quote]

I would guess so…then again I doubt you can digest 100g pasta/rice in just an hour, maybe try to play around with the time frame?

Do you think the carb is responsible for all that? Im dont know, but Im sure it contributes.

Can you give an example of a proper pre workout meal that does not include any kind of fancy supps?