A Chinese Hummer?

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Plus, if you knew anything, you’d know that stricter environmental regulations create MORE jobs and are GOOD for the economy.

Haven’t you heard Obama say how he is counting on green jobs to lead the way for the new economy?

You really should have known.[/quote]

x2

I do wish someone would publish more about how “green” cars that have these battery packs are more negative for the environment then most gas guzzerlers… it was a fun statistic we brought up during my electronic materials class…

[quote]Scuba19 wrote:
SteelyD wrote:

It is. It’s not just wood. Steel industry, same. Anyone from Pittsburgh/Johnstown?

It’s terrible. I’m from Pittsburgh, and you can’t even tell that we used to be the “Steel Capital of the World”. All the mills were torn down, and now you can’t even tell they were there. At one time, there were 117 blast furnaces in western PA. Now, there are 2 active in all of PA (they’re in Pittsburgh). We have one steel mill in Pittsburgh now, and it’s just really sad. I’m currently attending Pitt for mechanical engineering, and I interned at the Edgar Thomson Works here. Working there made me realize how many jobs were lost, how much money stopped coming into the area, and how the US lost a really interesting industry. Now, Pittsburgh is made up of depressed areas that went to shit once its mills and residents left.

A steel mill is one of the most complex, interesting places. Once you’re standing a foot away from molten iron flowing down a trough from the blast furnace, other jobs just don’t compare.[/quote]

What should the football team be called now…The Pittsburg Exporters? The Saint Louis “RUSH” would be a great team y’all.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Scuba19 wrote:
SteelyD wrote:

It is. It’s not just wood. Steel industry, same. Anyone from Pittsburgh/Johnstown?

It’s terrible. I’m from Pittsburgh, and you can’t even tell that we used to be the “Steel Capital of the World”. All the mills were torn down, and now you can’t even tell they were there. At one time, there were 117 blast furnaces in western PA. Now, there are 2 active in all of PA (they’re in Pittsburgh). We have one steel mill in Pittsburgh now, and it’s just really sad. I’m currently attending Pitt for mechanical engineering, and I interned at the Edgar Thomson Works here. Working there made me realize how many jobs were lost, how much money stopped coming into the area, and how the US lost a really interesting industry. Now, Pittsburgh is made up of depressed areas that went to shit once its mills and residents left.

A steel mill is one of the most complex, interesting places. Once you’re standing a foot away from molten iron flowing down a trough from the blast furnace, other jobs just don’t compare.

What should the football team be called now…The Pittsburg Exporters? The Saint Louis “RUSH” would be a great team y’all.
[/quote]

I do laugh whenever someone refers to us as the “Steel City”.

[quote]K2000 wrote:
Let them have the Hummer, who cares. What I’m worried about is if China takes the lead in green energy manufacturing… building solar panels, windmills, turbines etc… I think if they take the lead on that, we could lose out, big time. We want to manufacture that stuff here, not import it from China.[/quote]

They already ARE ahead in green energy manufacturing. You can “UL” a factory in China for less than 50K and import whatever the fuck you want (depending on the product, you can do it for under 15K). As a business, why wouldn’t you? The “American Dream” cannot be sustained with a manufacturing economy while paying American wages - the auto industry just learned this. We are a service/information economy now. There is nothing wrong with that. Once China gets “spoiled” like we are, and won’t work for less than $30 an hour, they’ll have to ship jobs and manufacturing to Africa. Then THEY will be complaining! LOL

The world changes. My hometown is Baltimore, MD. USED to be a major port. Not so much now. Bethlehem Steel is now closed. It is always changing. There are more jobs and business opportunities than ever before now, with the advent of the internet and more efficient technology… I find it hard to understand why everyone is complaining.

For the record, I USED to be a Union electrician until I started my business. Then I realized how Labor (read: feelings of ENTITLEMENT vs. RESULTS) can hamstring just about every aspect of a business. In business, PROFIT is the bottom line, not country of origin. IMHO, of course.