A Cheerful Misanthrope

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
Hope you liked the floor presses. Looks like they went well. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Yeah, they were good but I was surprised at how much harder they were.

Sunday workout (Gym):

Bench:
1x8@45
1x5@85
1x5@95
1x2@100
1x1@105
1x1@110
1x5@95
1x4@95

Squat:
1x5@95
1x5@135
1x5@155
1x3@165
1x1@175
1x0@185 (I thought I had it - would be the highest for me. Didn’t quite get there though. I’m going to try again on Wednesday when I start with squat)

Chin ups:
1x8
1x5
1x4

T-Bar rows:
1x10@50
1x7@60
1x5@65
2x5@70

Weighted decline situps with 25lb plate:
2x20

Windmill:
2x6x20 (This was just a demonstration for a friend)

I don’t think I will be able to do the strength challenge I had hoped to. My daughter’s first dance competion is the same weekend. Good for her but bad for me except that I’m really excited for her. I’m planning to continue training in case the dates change.

Monday Feb. 11 (Home)

Pull ups:
1x5
1x3

Dumbbell snatch:
5x20 right and left
5x25 right and left
(warm up)

Kettlebell snatch 30 lbs
65 in 3:30. My most in one continuous time. Then I threw up. But just a bit :slight_smile:

BB curl:
3x7@45
1x6@45
1z4@45

OH Press:
1x3@65
3x5@60
1x4@60

Turkish Getups: Something different to try
Right: 1x5@15lb
Left:1x4@15lb

Palm up wrist curl:
1x31@30
1x25@30
1x12@30

My biggest challenge to date seems to be my bench. Squat and deadlift have progressed but bench has been much slower. If anyone has any advice on routines for progression it would be appreciated.

Wednesday Feb. 13 (Gym)

Back squat:
1x10@45
1x5@95
1x3@135
1x2@155
1x1@165
1x1@175
1x2@185 (PR!!) I didn’t think I had gone low but you have to love the ass watching guy friends that are happy to inform you that you hit parallel.
1x0@190
3X5@155

Deadlift:
1x5@135
1x5@155
1x4@175
2x2@185

Pull up:
1x5
1x4 negative

OH Press:
4x5@60
1x4@60

Decline weighted situps:
2x20@25lbs

Cardio once again courtesy of shovelling out from a snow storm. Especially fun when the driveway is plowed in.

Congrats on the PR!

Gains on bench press seem to come very slowly for me too. GBench and cvb might give you a few ideas. Bench seems to be their “thing”

Friday February 15 (Home)

Deadlift:
60x15x1
135x5x1
155x5x1
175x5x1
185x2x1
195x1x1
205x1x1
215x1x1 PR!!

OH Squat - box squat using cinder blocks:
60x8x1
70x5x1
80x5x1
85x5x1
90x5x1 PR

Floor Press:
60x10x1
70x9x1
75x8x1
80x5x1
80x4x1

Dips:
3x5

Windmill:
1x10x30

For a laugh this morning I tried weighted chin ups. I used my daughters old school knapsack and threw 15 lbs in it. I only managed 2 sets of 2. I’m going to push it. A month and a half ago I could only do 2 pull ups.

This was a physically good week for me. What a great feeling when they come along.

Your workouts are looking strong. Good job on the DL and chin ups.
Diana

[quote]Plant lady wrote:
Your workouts are looking strong. Good job on the DL and chin ups.
Diana[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement. I’ve been reading your log. If I remember correctly, last year you were about where I am now. I would love if I make your progress in the next year. My short term goal is squat 200. DL 250. Oh and the weighted chins just because they seem so hard core :slight_smile:

Sunday February 17 (Gym)

Bench:
45x1x10
85x1x5
95x3x5

CG Bench:
65x3x10

Front Squat:
95x1x10
115x3x5
125x1x2
135x1x1

Pull ups:
1x5.5 (Almost made it to the top of 6)
negatives 1x4

T-bar row:
50x1x10
60x1x7
65x1x5
70x1x5
75x1x5

Full contact twist:
25x20x2

Tomorrow I’m going the check out a new gym. It’s bigger but not necessarily better. I think I want a bit of a change but not sure if this is the way to go.

Monday February 18 (New Gym):

This morning I worked out at a new gym (new to me). It was really kind of disorienting. I didn’t know where anything was. I had called last week to make sure they had a squat rack and a power rack. To me they are different things and I prefer the power rack. I use it to bench because I don’t have a spotter. I can push it without getting pinned to the bench. I’ve done this and it’s very humiliating :). I also prefer it for squatting.

Anyway, last week they said they had both. When I got there I only saw the squat rack. I asked for the power rack. I just thought I couldn’t see it since I was wearing contacts and I can’t see as well with them plus it was a new environment. The manager said the smith machine was in the other room. I said I was looking for a power rack, not a smith machine. “Is it like a smith machine?” he asks.

Maybe I’m just high maintenence. The plates were everywhere. I almost went into mom mode and tidied up. Almost, but I didn’t.

Maybe I’m just irritated because I’m so familiar with my current gym and where everything is. Let this be a cautionary tale boys and girls…do not crap where you eat.

At any rate, the work out looked like this:

Deadlifts:
135x1x5
155x1x5
175x2x5

Squats:
90x1x5
135x1x5
155x3x5

Pull ups (When I finally found the pull up bar):
1x5
1x3

OH Press:
45x1x8
55x3x5

Windmill:
20x1x20

I felt very weak today.

I thought I would put in a video clip of me doing overhead squats. It is a light weight but I wanted to do a “depth check”. Not atg but parallel I think. I think you can appreciate the level of difficulty given the cats around my feet and the jeans (although they are stretch denim).

The Russian judge gave me a 4.

I have never tried over head squats they look fun. I think I will try them when no one is at the gym. :slight_smile: That Russian judge is tough. :slight_smile: Why are you changing gyms did I miss that?
Diana

[quote]Plant lady wrote:
I have never tried over head squats they look fun. I think I will try them when no one is at the gym. :slight_smile: That Russian judge is tough. :slight_smile: Why are you changing gyms did I miss that?
Diana[/quote]

You should try OH squats. The max I can do on them is 90lbs. My max on back squat is 185. They need a lot of focus just to stay balanced and not let the weight go forward or backwards. They’re great for abdominal strength.

Last night was the second day trying the new gym. I’m pretty glad I went back. It was much nicer in that I could actually find things. There wasn’t shit everywhere. Although it does seem like people don’t put their things away. One guy pulled an incline bench into the squat rack, loaded it up but I’ll be damned if he actually did anything. He just left it there.

The nice thing was that there were hardly any people there at the time I went so I had free rein. I talked to one of the trainers who does stongman competitions. Apparently he has tires and stuff in the basement of the gym for working out. That really interests me and was a nice surprise. I’m not interested in saunas but big tires…cool.

So I signed up. Tomorrow night is my fitness evaluation. I’ll be interested to see what they come up with as body fat. At the other place the last time I was measured it was 14.5%. I don’t think the guy was doing it right. My ass alone is much larger. We’ll see. Maybe I’m out to lunch.

Anyway, workout:

February 20 Wednesday:

Squat:
45x1x10
95x1x10
135x1x5
155x2x5
165x2x2

Pull up:
1x5
Negatives:
1x4

Just a note: the pull up bar is really high and I had to pull over all the plastic step up things just to reach it.

Bench:
45x1x10
85x1x5
95x3x4

CG Bench:
65x3x10

Note: in a corner I say chains and bands. If I can get someone to show me what to do, I’m dying to try them out.

SL Deadlift:
135x2x8

Sumo Deadlift:
155x2x5

I still felt pretty weird and disoriented in a different enviroment. I didn’t feel very strong. Of course it could just be pms :slight_smile:

Glad the new gym seemed better today. Hang in there, who knows maybe you will like it better.
Diana

I always feel lost and confused in a new gym too. Glad things were better this trip.

bands and chains = fun :slight_smile:

Looking good girl!!! I love the over head squats. I found out I am not as strong as I thought once I started doing those. Hard lesson to learn for me. I think I forgot to check my ego at the door that day. Now I do’em any chance I can get.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
I always feel lost and confused in a new gym too. Glad things were better this trip.

bands and chains = fun :)[/quote]

I spend a good deal of my life lost and confused :slight_smile: I find if you nod and smile, people generally leave you alone.

I went in again tonight for my personal assessment. The bands and chains actually belong to the guy that was doing the assessment. He recommends chains over bands. I will try both. I got a lot of good information from him regarding powerlifting training. He showed me how to use knee wraps.

I think I’m really going to like this gym.

[quote]dirtbag wrote:
Looking good girl!!! I love the over head squats. I found out I am not as strong as I thought once I started doing those. Hard lesson to learn for me. I think I forgot to check my ego at the door that day. Now I do’em any chance I can get.[/quote]

Thanks for the compliment. I’m waiting for the warm weather so I can do them in the backyard where there is less likelihood of crushing my children, pets or television. Part of my fear is just losing the bar and wrecking something. It would be good just to be able to walk out from under it.

Or maybe I’ll do it in the front yard and impress all the Quakers when they show up on Sundays.

Oh and one more thing. The guy did the body fat assessment. It is 24%. I knew the other guy was out to lunch with 15%. I think he spent too much time making sure his hair was nice.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Thanks for the compliment. I’m waiting for the warm weather so I can do them in the backyard where there is less likelihood of crushing my children, pets or television. Part of my fear is just losing the bar and wrecking something. It would be good just to be able to walk out from under it.

Or maybe I’ll do it in the front yard and impress all the Quakers when they show up on Sundays.[/quote]

Those overhead squats are impressive!

I vote for the front yard. It’s fun freakin the neighbors out.

Hope you like the new gym. Any gym that has a basement full-a-tires, has to be great :slight_smile:

c.