A Chance to Prove Myself

[quote]alexdoesweights wrote:
If you don’t mind me asking what school did you go to? Was it a GPS one or a CAS one or ??? That’s impressive going from colts straight into first grade, must have deff impressed in colts. [/quote]

I went to Canberra Grammar in the ACT. I was surprised myself at going straight into first grade… My goal at the end of last year was to train hard over summer and play 2nd grade all year with a bit of 1st grade time of the bench. Instead I rocked up to pre season training and I was the best prop we had (we lost alot of players in the off season) so I had to step up. I’ve loved every second of it.

Today was ME Bench (isn’t Monday everyones bench day?). Wasn’t a great sesh as I’m still recovering from the flu so wasn’t feeling the greatest. Still managed to get the whole session out but wasn’t happy with the weights I was pushing. Am considering doing two weeks of 3RM instead of doing this week as 3RM then next week as 1RM.

1 BB Bench Press - 60kgs x 10, 100 x 3, 120 x 3, 130 x 3 (first 1 was ok next 2 needed a little touch from spotter at the sticking point), 125 x 3.

2a Skull Crushers
2b Bench Pull - did bent over BB rows instead.

3a DB Tricep Extension
3b Face Pulls

4a Standing BB Press
4b Rear Delt Flys

5a Tricep Pushdown
5b EZ Bar Curl

RE Squat/Deadlift today. Was a good session overall… Cold is getting better though am seeing a doctor tomorrow to see if I can get rid of it quicker… Had to swap box squats for regular back squats as the uni gym didn’t have a box the right height. After finishing my set of 15 @ 140kgs I watched half my size set up the squat bar with 150kgs and the safety pins at about the height of 1/3rd of a squat. He then proceeded to grunt his way through 3 reps not even to the pins… would have been 1/4 squats at the very most. Mildly amusing to say the least.

1 Box Squat - 60kgs x 15, 100kgs x 15, 120 x 15, 140 x 15

2a Deadlift
2b Side Bends

3a Good Mornings
3b Stiff Leg Raise

4a DB Shrugs
4b Back Extensions

overall good sesh… had jelly legs walking up stairs after. tomorrow is rest/cardio day… should be good.

Just got home from RE bench day. Was a wicked sesh!! Got a nice upper body pump going and was wrecked by the end of it.

1 BB Incline Press - 50kgs x 15, 60 x 15, 70 x 15, 80 x 9 - Front delts failing me on this one…

2a BB Decline Press - 60kgs x 12, 70 x 12, 80 x 12, 90 x 12
2b Incline Sit Up

3a DB Tricep Extension
3b DB Hammer Curls

4a DB Shoulder Press - shoulders where wrecked after this
4b BB Upright Rows

5a Tricep Pushdown
5b Cable Curls
5c Rear Delt Flys

Time for cook your own steak at the pub… love it!

Forgot to update this on friday. Was ME squat/deadlift day. Overall a great session. I think the rugby club’s squat bar is a little weak though as it’s got a bit of a bow in it after my session.

Back Squats - 80kgs x 10, 120 x 5, 160 x 3, 190 x 3, 205 x 4 (3rd rep wasn’t deep enough so I went again.

DB Step Ups
Cable Crunches

Deadlift
Side Bends

Kneeling Ham Raise
Stiff Leg Raise

BB Shrugs
Back Extensions

Today was ME bench. Watched Dave Tate’s bench press cure video and gave the technique a go. Was very surprised at the improvement. Everything about the lifting felt better and I benched higher then I did last week. Definitely adopting this technique from now on. Overall very good session.

1 BB Bench Press 60kgs x 10, 100 x 5, 110 x 3, 120 x 3, 125 x 3, 130 x 3 (got 3 this time as opposed to 1 last time - very happy)

2a Skull Crushers
2b Bench Pull

3a DB Tricep Extension
3b Face Pulls

4a Standing BB Press
4b Rear Delt Flys

5a Tricep Pushdown
5b EZ Bar Curl

Today was RE Squat/Deadlift. Good session overall, a little too much rest i think. Mainly cause I was teaching one of the guys from my rugby club to squat and deadlift properly so that chewed up some time. Squats felt great as did deadlift.

Box Squat - did regular squats as i still havent found a box low enough at rugby club.
80kgs x 15, 110 x 15, 120 x 15, 130 x 15, 140 x 15

Deadlift
Side Bends

Good Mornings
Stiff Leg Raise

DB Shrugs
Back Extensions

How’d you get on with the trials mate?

[quote]jk270 wrote:
How’d you get on with the trials mate?[/quote]

Had them this week. Tuesday we played 3 games of 10 a side. I did ok at that but I’m really not built to play 10s. Also did some scrumming which I did well at. Thursday we played 4 20min quarters of 15 a side. I played for 2 of them and did well. Some good runs with the ball in hand, set up a try or two and won all my own scrum ball. Overall I was alot happier with my performance on thursday then tuesday.

I will know by the end of the weekend whether I’ve been invited back for the 2nd week of trials. If not it’s back into training for next years season. Either way I had fun and was good to see the level at which I need to be at.

So I didn’t get a call back for the 2nd week of trials so it’s back into training for me. Onto 2nd phase of my westside program.

Today was ME Bench.

1 Close Grip Bench
Close Grip Bench Press - 100kgs x 5 - YouTube - Felt good and could have gone heavier but didn’t have a spotter which made getting the weight of the rack harder.

2a Skull Crushers
2b DB Bent Rows

3a DB Tri Extension
3b Seated DB Clean

4a Lateral Raises
4b Rear Delt Flys

5a Tricep Pushdown
5b EZ Bar Curl

Today was RE Squat/Deadlift. Good sesh. Back was a bit tight as my body is still getting used to new bench setup so the muscles that contract for the arch were tender.

Front Squats - did sets of 15-20 and worked up to 100kgs. Could have gone higher if my back wasnt so tight.

Box Deads
Side Bends

GHR
Lying Leg Raises

DB Shrugs
Back Extensions

[quote]sherro wrote:
So I didn’t get a call back for the 2nd week of trials so it’s back into training for me.
[/quote]

Unlucky mate, hopefully you’ll get another shot at it next year. Get any feedback or?

Which club do you play for? colts or grade? Unlucky about the trial - at least you know you have the talent to compete at that level though - just keep working on getting fitter/stronger

[quote]monatu wrote:
Which club do you play for? colts or grade? Unlucky about the trial - at least you know you have the talent to compete at that level though - just keep working on getting fitter/stronger[/quote]

I play for Easts in Canberra. Played my first year with the club last year and played colts. Was expecting to play mostly 2nd grade this year but got thrown into first grade cause we lost alot of players in the off season.