T Nation

A Bodybuilder Benching 600lbs?

a new girl starting working with me today at my job. so naturally i’m walking around being a huge mofo, accidentally knocking stuff off shelves with my boulder sized delts, and generally scaring away the coustomers.

anyways, she brings up the topic of the guy she’s dating right now. says he’s a “bodybuilder”, and that he bench presses 600lbs. he’s 28 or 29, first name ‘anthony’. supposedly a pretty tall guy to, like 6’2. lives in the south fla area.

now, i should of heard of this guy right? are 600lb benchpresses a common thing among bb’ers? or is she totally bs’ing out of her ass?

Boulder sized delts haha, wait…that was a joke right?

I know of a few BB’ers who have benched 600 and no, you would not know them. One of my boys benches in the 600’s and before he took the MD state open, no one had heard of him

But yeah she could be full of shit. Maybe she just wanted you to leave her be and made up some bs.

A

[quote]Liquid447 wrote:
a new girl starting working with me today at my job. so naturally i’m walking around being a huge mofo, accidentally knocking stuff off shelves with my boulder sized delts, and generally scaring away the coustomers.

anyways, she brings up the topic of the guy she’s dating right now. says he’s a “bodybuilder”, and that he bench presses 600lbs. he’s 28 or 29, first name ‘anthony’. supposedly a pretty tall guy to, like 6’2. lives in the south fla area.

now, i should of heard of this guy right? are 600lb benchpresses a common thing among bb’ers? or is she totally bs’ing out of her ass?[/quote]

[quote]Liquid447 wrote:

now, i should of heard of this guy right? are 600lb benchpresses a common thing among bb’ers? or is she totally bs’ing out of her ass?[/quote]

Possible but highly unlikely. Less than 25 people have ever bench press 600 or more pounds without a bench shirt in a powerlifting competition.

600+ lbs benches (without a bench shirt) are VERY rare.

Im in florida Is her boyfriend black?

There used to be a hube guy in my gym a couple years ago I heard now hes powerlifting and has a 600+ raw bench.

600LB bench, with or without shirt makes abig difference.

[quote]djrobins wrote:
600LB bench, with or without shirt makes abig difference.[/quote]

Just curious, how much a difference do those shirts make?

Highest with shirt bench is right around 1000 lb

higest without shirt bench ( raw ) is just over 700 lb

Thats 300lb.

A shirt does not make 300lb difference though, it depends.

its easy that a 500lb bencher with a shirt can make a 400lb bench without or a 700lb benncher with a shirt can make 500lb without. see.

bench shouldnt even be the end all strength test anyway.

youll get good at what you train at…

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
djrobins wrote:

Just curious, how much a difference do those shirts make?[/quote]

up to 300lbs

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
djrobins wrote:

Just curious, how much a difference do those shirts make?[/quote]

Those shirts do not help at all. To imply that they artificially inflate a user’s poundages would be ridiculous. They serve merely to reassure the user that his arms won’t be torn from his sockets.

It’s sort of like a woobie or binky for small toddlers. They don’t need them, but they do provide some degree of comfort.

[quote]Liquid447 wrote:

I doesn’t matter. Just keep re-assuring her that you are a smart and powerfull lover, and eventualy she will fall for you.

And start calling her “my concubine”. Chicks dig cool knick-names.

[quote]danger-kelly wrote:
PF_88 wrote:
djrobins wrote:

Just curious, how much a difference do those shirts make?

Those shirts do not help at all. To imply that they artificially inflate a user’s poundages would be ridiculous. They serve merely to reassure the user that his arms won’t be torn from his sockets.

It’s sort of like a woobie or binky for small toddlers. They don’t need them, but they do provide some degree of comfort.[/quote]

Um, no

no. he’s not black. looks pretty white to me (camera phone head shot)

and no, she said he doesn’t wear ‘funny equipment’

we already decided on nicknames, she is to only refer to me as ‘el conquistidor’

thanks guys for all your help

It’s sort of like a woobie or binky for small toddlers. They don’t need them, but they do provide some degree of comfort.[/quote]

I assume this post is sarcastic in nature, correct?

based on your stats, who are all these customers that you scare away? do you work in a nursing home or a pre-school perhaps?

Ignoramus.

:slight_smile:

I’m yet to find a girl (who isn’t butch herself) who is impressed by freakish physiques or by how much their guys can lift.

They can get competitive and boast about those stats to their girlfriends who date similar men but thats about it.

So if you think your boulder sized whatever is gonna impress the new chick, I doubt you know too much about women in general.

Who cares how much he can bench? how many one legged bosu ball squat to cable pulls can he do?

(she is almost certainly exaggerating his numbers, what his gf says he can do is like his “internet poundage”, i.e. bullshit, she probably hasn’t exaggerated that much though so he probably is a big strong mofo).

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
danger-kelly wrote:

It’s sort of like a woobie or binky for small toddlers. They don’t need them, but they do provide some degree of comfort.

I assume this post is sarcastic in nature, correct?[/quote]

How is this not obvious?

“400, 500, 600 oh i dunno, i’m sure he said one of those hundred numbers”

[quote]djrobins wrote:
Highest with shirt bench is right around 1000 lb

higest without shirt bench ( raw ) is just over 700 lb

Thats 300lb.

A shirt does not make 300lb difference though, it depends.

its easy that a 500lb bencher with a shirt can make a 400lb bench without or a 700lb benncher with a shirt can make 500lb without. see.

bench shouldnt even be the end all strength test anyway.

youll get good at what you train at…[/quote]

Thanks, I was always curious about that. Seems like a lot as well, more than I would have guessed at least.