A Black Spiderman?

An article on HitFix:

One (well, at least one) of the comments on the article talks about the casting of white actors for Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Thoughts?

He’s a better fit for Spider Man than Tobey Maguire.

Avatar…fucking piece of shit casting.

People get tied up into this topic. The Conan thread was full of BS about his race. Non of this is new. Hollywood has been making the character fit the Actor for years, YEARS (Genghis Khan-John Wayne).

Just Make a good movie and I’m happy.

People take it to heart because when you grow up with a character you start to identify with them and when someone comes out with a view that differs from yours it freaks people out.

Who Cares! Black Spiderman Sucks!

V

[quote]Vegita wrote:
Who Cares! Black Spiderman Sucks!

V[/quote]

The last comment ive seen on the last 4 articles ive opened have been Vegita saying “who cares! _____ sucks!” i like it

It’s like when I see black Santas in stores, everyone knows Santa Claus is white.

Why is Black Panther Black? Why is Blade not Japanese?

Dunno what they’re talking about…

The real question would be if Peter Parker were black would they keep Mary Jane white? Now thats a discussion!

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:
Why is Black Panther Black? Why is Blade not Japanese?[/quote]

Why are you pretending to be white when your Darker than me.

Na if there going to change someone make Jonah Jameson that dick cop from the fist seaon of Dexter!

Peter Parker was a lame nerd.

The Italian Spiderman on the other hand, now that was an arachnoid stud with extra chest hair!

And no, he can’t be black because he must be italian.

Parker can of course be black or chinese or whatever as long as the creator is ok with it and they won’t “colour” him just for PR reasons.

But can he be a muslim?

First, the last three spiderman movies completely FUCKED that character backwards, sideways and upside down. Peter Parker is a MAJOR smart ass. I could never be as sarcastic as that fucker is all of the time in the comics. There was NONE of that in the movies.

Yeah, he’s a nerd…but he’s also so intelligent that he made spiderwebs that he could use that are stronger than steel cables and dissolve later on their own. That would make him a fucking genius.

Where was any of that in the movies? Hell, they actually took away the web shooters and had him failing his fucking classes.

Him being black doesn’t bother me at all but I do think people would be way too fucking focused on that significant change even though Tobey Mcgwire did a horrible job as that character to anyone who actually paid attention to Spiderman at all growing up.

What I will say is that it sucks that there are so few black super heroes created…and if they were, their skin color is a MAJOR factor in who they are.

Captain America gets to just be Captain America. If he were black, I guess his name would have been “Black Captain” and all of his words would be 1970’s pseudo-slang.

If it weren’t for the “unexpected” success of Blade (they didn’t even use a Marvel intro on his first movie), I doubt we would be seeing ANY made into movies in the future.

Luke Cage, while I like the guy, is about as deep as a single drop of water. He is a stereotype that was never any more than that until very recent showing in Black Panther and when he joined the Avengers.

I think the real question is, why the hell do people tolerate the Mcgwire bullshit yet complain about a black actor playing the part when the goal is to make him match his original vision more?

Why does being black or white matter so much?

Also, in regards to Avatar, they caught hell because historically, white actors have always been favored in movies over any other ethnic group. Very rarely is a lead character even a minority in any film prior to 1997 short of Action Jackson (of which there were no sequels).

Maybe he should be black…so the rest of the country can get the fuck over it.

“What I will say is that it sucks that there are so few black super heroes created…and if they were, their skin color is a MAJOR factor in who they are.”

“Why does being black or white matter so much?”

Because you make it out to be.

You have an agenda, just like everyone else. Whether it’s more subtle or pronounced, it’s still there. The only difference is some of us are honest about it. You would bitch your ass off if Spawn or Blade weren’t played by blacks. What about Michael Clarke Duncan when he got to be Kingpin? What about the black actor who’s going to play Heimdal in the Thor movie? (Would be like making a comic about Nigerian mythology and having Brad Pitt play a leading role). What about Sam Jackson playing Nick Fury? What about that guy playing Conan? That’s right, it’s cool for you to see inaccuracies there because it adds another point to your interests.

Hollywood would have the uninformed believing that all of the Egyptian pharaohs, Carthaginians, Moors, Berbers, and even the ancient Greeks and Romans resembled western Africans. Remember in Robin Hood with Kevin Costner, they had Morgan Freeman play Azeem the Moor? That was a historical lie. Moors were Muslims of mostly Berber, Arab, and Iberian background; most of their contact with blacks below the Sahara Desert involved slavery. And no, Hannibal did not look like Kimbo Slice. Many Americans get fooled by PC screwjobs like this because they don’t read books or travel abroad.

I saw that you and a few others bitched about the Prince of Persia. Well if you go to Iran, you can actually find ethnic Persians who resemble that guy; you can’t find ethnic Persians who resemble Will Smith or Denzel Washington, sorry. Many Persians have light to olive skin, Caucasian facial features (higher forehead, pronounced nose, etc), even fair hair and eyes. I’ve seen a Persian with blond hair and none of his family came from Europe. So, be aware that when you think in such a polarized white-black mentality, it really limits your scope on understanding that European-descended people aren’t the only ‘Caucasians’ in the world.

So stop fucking whining.

A black spiderman is fine with me, as long as they keep to the story and not go all preachy about race I have no problem with it.

I don’t care because Spiderman 3 was so bad that anything could be better than that piece of garbage.

[quote]Squash85 wrote:
I saw that you and a few others bitched about the Prince of Persia. Well if you go to Iran, you can actually find ethnic Persians who resemble that guy; you can’t find ethnic Persians who resemble Will Smith or Denzel Washington, sorry. Many Persians have light to olive skin, Caucasian facial features (higher forehead, pronounced nose, etc), even fair hair and eyes. I’ve seen a Persian with blond hair and none of his family came from Europe. So, be aware that when you think in such a polarized white-black mentality, it really limits your scope on understanding that European-descended people aren’t the only ‘Caucasians’ in the world.

So stop fucking whining.
[/quote]

Just to comment on this sense I am Iranian and have been to Iran many many times… there aren’t any “full” born Iranians that look like Jake Gyllenhaal(maybe you’ll find like 2.) And the majority of Iranians with blond hair dye(bleach… whatever) their hair(people in Iran look towards the west for fashion etc…)… If you see an Iranian woman in LA I guarantee she has a pound of make up and dye on her :P. Iranians are caucasian by definition… but that doesn’t mean they look like “white people”. My mom is as white as can be… but you would have to be retarded not to realize shes not “white”… my dad on the other hand is completely opposite… almost black.

Hollywood will fuck up almost everything… you just have to live with it… people will bitch about everything. It would be weird to see a black spider man… I grew up with him as a white kid… but if they make a good movie… whatever… thats all I care about.

I should be the next spiderman…

[quote]Squash85 wrote:
Remember in Robin Hood with Kevin Costner, they had Morgan Freeman play Azeem the Moor? That was a historical lie. Moors were Muslims of mostly Berber, Arab, and Iberian background; most of their contact with blacks below the Sahara Desert involved slavery.
[/quote]

Well…don’t forget that areas of Mali,Niger,Senegal were part of Almoravid/Berber dynasty…and those people were considered Moors. Moor was(isn’t) an ethnicity per say.

So,no,it wasn’t a historical lie if it’s factually possible for Morgan Freeman’s character to have been a Moor.

[quote]Squash85 wrote:
You would bitch your ass off if Spawn or Blade weren’t played by blacks. What about Michael Clarke Duncan when he got to be Kingpin? What about the black actor who’s going to play Heimdal in the Thor movie? (Would be like making a comic about Nigerian mythology and having Brad Pitt play a leading role). What about Sam Jackson playing Nick Fury? What about that guy playing Conan? That’s right, it’s cool for you to see inaccuracies there because it adds another point to your interests. [/quote]

Uhm, Nick Fury is based on Sam Jackson in the comics. Nick Fury has been black in the updated version of the Avengers for years now. That was not some split second decision…and I am glad we have advanced enough where King Pin could be played by a black guy…because that damn sure wouldn’t have happened even 10 years earlier in Hollywood.

You are absolutely right that I would bitch if Spawn were made white and that would be because of the historical significance of a black character in a comic becoming THAT popular in print in the 90’s where his race had literally NOTHING to do with his character development (ie, no stereotypes, he was simply black).

You can’t ignore history here and pretend as if the playing field was always equal. It may be becoming that way NOW, but it was definitely not before.

[quote]
Hollywood would have the uninformed believing that all of the Egyptian pharaohs, Carthaginians, Moors, Berbers, and even the ancient Greeks and Romans resembled western Africans. Remember in Robin Hood with Kevin Costner, they had Morgan Freeman play Azeem the Moor? That was a historical lie. Moors were Muslims of mostly Berber, Arab, and Iberian background; most of their contact with blacks below the Sahara Desert involved slavery. And no, Hannibal did not look like Kimbo Slice. Many Americans get fooled by PC screwjobs like this because they don’t read books or travel abroad.[/quote]

I thought what Big Boss wrote about the moors was common knowledge. I didn’t know people thought that blacks or people with skin that dark were basically nonexistent throughout history.