T Nation

A Bit of Advice Please!!

Hello there, first a bit about me. I'm 6'2 220 pounds and I would say around 15-17% body fat.

I have been doing a full body routine 3 times a week for I would say 6 months now, lifts have gone right up (even with the attack of glandular fever in the middle of it!) and I have gone from 190 up to the 220 I'm currently at.

Diet is in check, getting around 300 grams of protein a day with 3,600-4,000 calories.

Anyway, enough of the waffling. As previously said I have been doing a full body routine for about 6 months now and it's worked very well for me, but things are starting to get a little stale now and I'm wondering in which direction I should go, be it a 4 day push/pull twice a week or a more conventional bodybuilding 4 day split.

Very tempted with an antagonist split, it was the way I used to work out a few years back and really enjoyed it.

Should add that my goal is to build more mass

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there mate!

I say, if you have past experience with the antagonist split and feel it worked well for you, go for it! This is all about experimenting to find what routines work well for you, and then milking them as much as possible.

And keep on reading articles in this website, including past ones etc for new ideas on what to try next.

It seems there's been alot of discussion on these forums about bodybuilding/powerlifting routines lately. Alternate between heavy compound lifts, and lighter/higher rep isolation movements. It should allow for strength and size gain.

Read into it

Either split should be fine. It sounds like you've squeezed out a bunch of progress from your current routine, so any change in training should spark progress.

Check this article for some general ideas:

Or look around the site for a more specific plan. There are a bunch, and they all work well.

Out of curiosity, what did your current full body plan look like in terms of the exercises, sets, and reps you were using?

Full body plan was an A B routine following an old template!

Workout A

Flat DB Bench 3 x 8-12
Dumbell Rows 3 x 8-12
Squats 3 x 8-12
Overhead DB Press 3 x 8-10
EZ Bar Isolation Curls 3 x 8-12
Tricep Pulldowns 3 x 8-12

Workout B

Incline Bench 3 x 4-8
Pull ups 3 x AMAP
Leg Press with feet together 3 x 5-8
Lateral Raise 3 x 12
Barbell Curls 3 x 6-10
French Press 3 x 6-10

I would occasionally change the rep ranges around between the two workouts and their corresponding body parts too.

Good stuff.

I'd definitely suggest something with plenty of leg work, where legs get at least one full dedicated day. For example, the "Legs Suck" template from the article I linked above.

Not saying that your legs do suck, but they definitely haven't been getting much attention on this kind of full body split.

Anyhow, keep up the solid work. Any other questions, toss them up.

Oh my legs certainly do suck!!! It's one of the reasons I wanted to get away from the full body template now so I can focus more time on them and to get them a little more acclimatised to training.

I have had knee issues for a few years now, so I thought slow and steady would be the way with them until I felt they could handle a little more volume.

Thanks everyone for the help and I'll report back when I can't get my jeans round my legs anymore :smiley:

5/3/1, do it for 6 months and you'll be stronger than 95% of people in normal UK gyms

Check out StartingStrength or StrongLifts 5x5. Don't reinvent the wheel.

1) Warm up.
2) Lift heavy shit.
3a) Eat a lot if you're trying to put on weight.
3b) Eat a lot but not so much if you're trying to gradually cut down.
4) Do conditioning.
5) Pre-hab, rehab, yoga, pilates, stretching, contrast showers, etc.

why don't you post pictures/videos of the gains you've made off starting strength?

OP - sounds like you're on the right track. if that's the kind of split you enjoyed before, i'd def suggest going to that

You really only read the thread title, clicked "reply", typed what you did, and then clicked "submit", right?

I'm an advocate of Starting Strength in some situations, but when someone says "I'm plateauing on a full body routine, what kind of split should I do?", how in the world does your reply make sense? Also... yoga and pilates? Like, really?

Thanks for the help everyone, I have decided though that I am going to follow Obsidians advice and do a Yoga/Pilates superset workout with antagonistic stretching and dog stretch drop sets.

Seriously though, I had a good look through KingBeef's routine thread and settled on the Push/Pull/Legs twice a week routine.

5/3/1 is definitely something I like the look of though and something I will definitely incorporate down the line.

i almost shit myself reading this.

well played