T Nation

A Beginner's Guide from a ... Beginner?!

Hey fellow beginners. I have spent the last couple months studying hard but most importantly, lifting and eating hard. I think we beginners can learn a lot from each other. Just please don’t try and overdo it, no tough-guy internet guru stuff please. But here are my tips that can maybe help ya out!

1. Learning and Expanding Knowledge.
    I have been studying and learning more about lifting since 9th grade. I am a Freshmen in College now and I must say, it was a waste of fuckin time. Yes, I am being totally serious. I spent too much time on the internet looking for the “perfect routine” and finding out the newest, hippest, coolest exercises instead of actually shuttin my damn mouth and hitting the iron. I am not saying don’t spend time learning more about powerlifting, bodybuilding, etc. but don’t spend so much time that you know 50 “sweet” routines when in reality you’ve never even tried 1. And a tip within a tip, work WITH the routine. As a beginner I began to finally understand that routines are 75% the idea. The other 25% is you adjusting (intelligently) the routine to what your body is demanding.

2. I’m a Hardgainer…
    Wow, what a poor excuse by me. I threw this word around to make up for my crap effort in getting bigger. To be honest, I’m a fuckin easy-gainer! I’ve been puttin on weight hard and lookin more beefy cause I actually listened to people’s tips on keeping a food log. I thought i was eating so much until I realized I averaged a wimpy 2500 calories. I am now eating 3600 calories and love the results!

3. I Don’t Have Enough Time.
    This I actually never had a problem with. NEVER. Because I am obsessed with lifting and always have time for it, even if I lifted stupidly I was better than 100% of the people that said, “they didn’t have enough time for lifting.” Well you jackass, I have school all week, homework up the yin-yang, 9 hour bartending shifts till 1 in the morning, a GF to keep satisfied, and I STILL have time for lifting. Yeah yeah, go ahead and tell me about YOUR hectic schedule but all it takes is 1 hour out of your day. 1. You don’t even have to workout at a gym, buy some kettlebells and you can come up with AMAZING workouts at home!

4. Don’t take everything you read to heart.
    Why? Cause you’ll be going in circles, skipping from routine to routine every week, and staying completely inconsistent. People think way too hard about whether or not the Regular-Grip Pull-Down is more “effective” than the Chambered Bar Fat Grip Flexed Underhand Lopsided version of the Pull-Down. I’d do the latter though if you wanna get hayuge. Just STFU and Lift :slight_smile:

5. I am still a Beginner.
    Yes, I am giving tips but it’s cause of the mistakes I have made if anything. I am still a Beginner. I have put my ego aside and started working out both mentally and physically.

Please leave tips, comments, and critiques if you think I am completely wrong… I can still learn!

Another tip. Don’t go crazy with the Supps. Fish Oils and Protein are great to start off with. Also, vegetables and fruits are nature’s steroids. Take advantage of em!

[quote]IAgainstI wrote:
Also, vegetables and fruits are nature’s steroids. Take advantage of em![/quote]

Not true if this was indeed fact vegetarian’s would be huge.

[quote]riverhawk23 wrote:
IAgainstI wrote:
Also, vegetables and fruits are nature’s steroids. Take advantage of em!

[/quote]

Agreed.

Sounds catchy, but completely wrong.

I think it’s a mistake for beginners to give too much advice since they usually don’t have enough experience and are merely parroting something they’ve read (which is often wrong).

good Post.

A lot of people need to stop thinking so much, stop worrying if they are 13 or 15% and just lift, eat, sleep.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
riverhawk23 wrote:
IAgainstI wrote:
Also, vegetables and fruits are nature’s steroids. Take advantage of em!

Agreed.

Sounds catchy, but completely wrong.

I think it’s a mistake for beginners to give too much advice since they usually don’t have enough experience and are merely parroting something they’ve read (which is often wrong).[/quote]

I can’t imagine anyone is going to actually believe that statement. I mean, do you really think they would?

yeah, good post.

countingbeans hit the other great “tip”

too many guys worrying about cutting or bulking when all they should do is lift, eat, and recover.

This is a nice post.
lol hard gainer…
People who say they don’t have enough time truly don’t want to be big and strong. Lazy.

I apologize for the misunderstanding about just veggie and fruits… What I really wanted to say was that proper Veggies/Fruit > Multivitamins… Obviously we gotta man up and eat our meats, poultry, grains, etc. :slight_smile:

Good post mate!

Good because you’re a beginner, and have the humility to accept that. Good because you’re willing to help others. And good because you’re open to advise.

Basically… Good! :slight_smile:

Keep it real mate.