A Beginner, Need Advice and Support

Have been training for a couple of months . Trying to step into strength training world while adding muscle mass also . Even a simple routine or program will work . I live in Gujranwala . Not so professional gym equipment here ,

Also I need a sketch of diet routine that i may follow .We just have basic foods here so please dont be too specific . I am a little overweight , trying to lose fat and convert it to muscle .
Thanks In Advance .
Best Regards . . . . . . Ajwad

You can train strength and mass at the same time. Just train a movement for strength first, then fill in the rest of your day with “bodybuilding” type stuff.

An easy template to follow would be 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler. I would recommend buying the book, it has a lot very useful info for any lifter and how the program works specifically. Do some research on your end and you will find plenty of information. There are many, many varied templates in the book depending on your goal. A simple template that requires really just a barbell and a rack would be the 5x10 work. A sample day would look like this:

Squat 5/3/1
Squat 5x10
RDL 5x10

Done.

As far as diet, the simpler the better. If you have access to meat, vegetables, rice, potatoes, and things like that-- you’re good to go. Just eat 3-4 meals consisting of the items I just mentioned, lift heavy and with intensity… and you will be good to go. If you wanted to, you could also start walking every day for about 30-45 minutes, doing some jogs up a hill, or something like that.

I am currently doing the 5*5 routine . Every exercise of 5 sets , and each contains 5 reps . Im currrently working on my basic lifts i.e. deadlift , squats , bench press and overhead shoulder press . Is it okay to go this way ? I have the 5/3/1 program but it looks a bit complex . If you prefer , i can shift to it . Otherwise , if you can kindly sketch a sets and reps plan , so that i can follow it , that would also be okay . P.S. Use full worrds , i dont know what RDL And ROM means :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanking Your Support . . . . . Ajwad Sharaheel

RDL= Romanian deadlift, ROM= Range of motion, if the 5x5 is working for you I would say keep with it. As a beginner, most any program you find on here will work for you as long as you’re consistent and follow them properly. That being said I wouldn’t jump into anything deemed “Advanced.”

Thank You Sir . I shall keep this strategy . And as an exercise finisher , I use Suitcase carriers , with 10kg in each hand . I hope i will get stronger with time . Looking forward for your further guidance in the near future .
Grateful For Your Advice . . . . . Ajwad Sharaheel

Thank you Drice for expanding on that for me.

Follow the 5x5 Ajwad for as long as you can. 5x5 is a great way to get stronger and build muscle.

5/3/1 is not too complicated once you learn the basics of how it works. There is a 5/3/1 calculator online that you can use on a website called “Black Iron Beast” as well. It may be useful to you in the future if you decide to use 5/3/1.

Also, Jim Wendler has a 5/3/1 thread section on here: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/jim-wendler-531?pageNo=1&s=forumsNavTop

Sounds like you are doing the right things.

On your diet, you need to eat to improve your lifts.

Don’t worry too much about what you’re eating, just be consistent and eat enough so you put on a little bit of weight each week (1 to 2 kg a month). That will mean eating until you feel a bit more than full 3 or 4 times per day plus grabbing a small bite a few times per day.