T Nation

A Beer a Day?

I heard drinking 1 beer a day is good for you because it gets rid of bacteria and reduces the risk of blood clots and stroke. Is all this true or just a myth?

It depends on what you mean by "good for you". Those things may or may not be true, I don't really know. Many people believe that one serving of alcohol a day is "good" for you, but most of this is based on red wine and the rezveritrol (sp?) contained in it.

However, I read an article on the effects of alcohol in the body and one of the potential effects is a severely decreased (or haulted) production/release of testosterone for up to a 24 hour period after the alcohol is consumed. So, if by "good for you" you are including your potential for getting bigger/stronger, I'd say it's probably not so great.

beer is good for winding down at the end of the night. Thats pretty much it.

I don't like the term "good/bad for you." Water is "good for you." Five gallons a day, not so good for you. The excess urination causes expulsion of water-soluble minerals and results in deficiency. Magnesium/Vitamin C deficiency leads to sickness, untreated sickness leads to death? So, is water "bad for you?"

"Beer: The cause and solution to all of life's problems."

Homer Simpson

"Beer: Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Ben Franklin

The latest articles I've read regarding alcohol and its health benefits now include any type of alcohol and not just red wines, but it can't be any more than 1-2 a day. After that, it's bad for you instead of very good for you.

Here's an interesting article:

That one says that they've found more detrimental effects of alcohol even with very moderate dosage.

Who the hell knows. Beer is good and I'm gonna keep drinking it.

I do not want to act like an authority on this, because I am just repeating what I have read, but isn't beer supposed to be very conducive to estrogen production?

Yeah, I think some alcohol can be "good" for you, but it depends on the person. Go by how it makes you feel. The day after drinking do you feel slow/tired/unmotivated/weak? If so, drink less/none.

I seem to be able to get away with more than most.

I respectfully request, and with a cherry on top, that you find a more suitible Avatar.

Beer and Health ^