A Bad Week For Al Gore

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Such as?[/quote]

Gdol, you are self-professed conservative - you don’t like the appointed justices?

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
Such as?

Gdol, you are self-professed conservative - you don’t like the appointed justices?

[/quote]

How about giving the military a bigger paycheck? That worked out pretty nice for a few of us.

I’m not an economist, but the employment rate is up and the economy is chugging along pretty nicely. I’m not contributing this all to GW. In the essence of fairness though-he would be getting blamed if it were bad.

[quote]lixy wrote:
“A heatwave in the western states of the US has caused a string of wildfires, threatening homes and closing highways.”

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6282246.stm[/quote]

Absolute and complete misinformation. Having lived in the west for… 17 years, there’s one trend that cannot be traced to global warming. Fires happen. Either by human stupidity (Rodeo / Chedeski fires) or by lightning strikes.

The fact is that we don’t let burns occur, as they had done for millennia in the past. All because we don’t want to lose property that we own. This creates an unruly undergrowth that when sparked, creates a conflagration many times more than if we just let things go.

These burns have been recorded in fossil records, as well as tree rings. The past 50 years has seen humanity trying to curtail these events, and duh, they get larger and larger.

Let the shit burn. It’s one of the most natural forces nature wields.

[quote]gDol wrote:
JeffR wrote:
reckless wrote:
JeffR wrote:

Until that happens, I’ll continue to poke fun at the dems nominee of 2000.

JeffR

Ah, it’s about politics then.

So can the rest of the world poke fun at the guy you elected twice and who has been proven wrong on so many things?

Muffin Man,

Sure. You can make fun of W.

However, if I were you, I wouldn’t want the light shined on your pathetic existence.

I’d probably work on making my country more than a bakery.

Oh, if you make fun of W’s failings, fairness would dictate that you highlight his successes.

Such as?[/quote]

Hey, gdol,

Off the top of my head: The Supreme Court Justices, his handling of iran/north korea, the economy, Afghanistan, the initial invasion of Iraq, handling of the American surveillance plane that crash landed in china.

JeffR

This is an interesting subject for a geologist such as myself.

Much of the warming is attributed to Mihlankovitch cycles… related to the earths tilt and precession in orbit, which thus effect them amount and intensity of radiation from the sun that the earth receieves at different times in history. Google it for more info. Furthermore, plate tectonics cause global warming, increased tectonics allow for more volcanism, emitting much much more C02 than humans produce, thus warming the atmosphere. However volcanism can also cool the atmosphere if it is a more explosive ash-ridden eruption, blocking rays.

Thus in short, there are many factors which can affect global warming, but it has happened throughout history and has been much warmer/cooler than today, in pretty much a standard saw tooth pattern according to ice cores of oxygen isotopes. Im not saying the human factor doesnt count, but it is perhaps overestimated. Amazing that more geological and atmospheric scientists are not the ones speaking on the issue and its politicians with little training in the field…

More important of an issue is resource consumption. This is what people should really be talking about. Fossil fuels are the big hit right now, and there are many viable alternate sources of fuels or power. People complain “oh its expensive”… yes everything is expensive at first, and if the public would have listened in the 70’s oil crunch, we would not be in this predicament today.

Im not arguing against oil either, there is more reserves than people think, and methods for increasing the yield of wells are occurring. However I would advocate much more use of wind, hydroelectric, solar, and methane … which are very easily achieved.

Water is probably one of the main issues…as the population increases the amount of freshwater (like 3% of all water…) decreases. Most of your water comes from underground in aquifers… cities essentially mine the water, pumping it out via reservoirs or direct wells…the only problem is the extraction exceeds recharge in many areas and freshwater is being used far too much…

Just a small touch on the issue from a geology major.