A 777 lb. Squat At 148 lbs

I tried posting this yesterday, and it didn’t seem to take so I’ll try it again. Here’s my cousin with a squat of 777 at 148 lbs. I guess that at the Arnold he moved up to 788.

http://www.irongame.com/videos/NickHatch.2005,January22cnd,APF-IowaMidwestPowerliftingChampionships-352.5kg-777lbSQ@67.5kg-148lb.wmv

I have seen him at several meets, and he is an amazing lifter, let alone for a teen.

Same thing, buddy-- the web page won’t load correctly. Congratulations to your cousin, by the way-- what an animal!

The link didnt work for me.

That’s strange it works for me. It opens directly to Windows Media Player.

Worked for me. What federation is he lifting in, if I may ask?

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:
Worked for me. What federation is he lifting in, if I may ask?[/quote]

I believe he is APF.

Its not working for me! I wanna see this bad!

http://www.bigirongym.com/pictures.html#

You can try here as well. He is under Squats, his name is Nick Hatch.

Nick Hatch is flat out amazing…IMO the best teen lifter in the country…being back stage at the Arnold I saw Nick for the first time and what impressed me was his build…the kid is a robot…he has a shit load of muscle mass for a 19 year old 148 lifter quite amazing…tb

I guess you guys have never heard of a 148er named Jaroslaw Olech from Poland? He squatted 749.5, benched 418.7 and deadlifted 666.7 at the 04 IPF Worlds in single ply gear. However, he is not a teen like Hatch. Hatch is unquestionably the brightest newcomer to American Powerlifting. He just has a big weakness with his deadlift because of his hand structure. He could probably win the Lightweight Open in the WPO in a couple of years were it not for his deadlift. I look for him to have the highest sub-total in the WPO lightweights going forward.

not to try to stir things up, because i can’t do a 778 squat @ 285 so he is strong, young and has a very impressive future but it didn’t show the judges lights in the video so i am wondering if he got the lift? I mean it looked like from me he was 1-3 inches from still reaching parrel wasn’t he? just wondering because i have lifted in meets in the past and i was under the assumption that parralel was lower than that.

if someone thinks i am way off let me know?

[quote]FULLSTERKUR wrote:
not to try to stir things up, because i can’t do a 778 squat @ 285 so he is strong, young and has a very impressive future but it didn’t show the judges lights in the video so i am wondering if he got the lift? I mean it looked like from me he was 1-3 inches from still reaching parrel wasn’t he? just wondering because i have lifted in meets in the past and i was under the assumption that parralel was lower than that.

if someone thinks i am way off let me know?[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing when I watched the video. That squat was HIGH.

I’m hesitant to mention it too because I expect to get the “Just having that that much weight on your back is so awesome, he doesn’t even need to squat it” backlash, but I can’t believe that lift would pass. Didn’t look like he was having any trouble handling it, but it also didn’t look like he went all the way down.

Nick

Even by APF judging standards (their rulebook), Hatch’s squat was high. However, in alot of APF meets (and especially if a guy has got a reputation and maybe buried his first or second attempt, if it is close normally the lifter will get all whites. I have seen the same thing in the USAPL at this year’s women’s nationals. Priscilla Ribic’s 3rd attempt was a bit high, but she got white lights. Just like Jordan used to get most of the calls.

When you establish that reputation in sports, it goes a long way. No fault in that. Every one of these athletes I mentioned had to earn their way into the “club” at one time or another.

First time I watched the video I thought he was high too, but I paused it at the lowest point and he was right at parallel with the camera angle looking up at hime and from the front. Not a good camera angle to judge depth at all. He is ridiculous.

BM, how tall is he?

Yea, he looks like he was about an inch above parallel. What federation did you lift in? If it was IPF/USAPL, you can expect them to be much stricter in regards to depth (there must be no question about you breaking parallel in the USAPL). The WPO and APF are pretty generous.

BTW, did you check out that clip of Tank Abbott benching 600 raw on that page? He bounced that so hard off his chest I’m surprised he didn’t crack his sternum.

no where is the tank lift. what page. could you link it?

Great lift!!! A little high though… However, anyone that can squat 5 times their weight is impressive to me!

Thanks for the link.

http://www.irongame.com/videos/TankAbbot.GymLift600BP-RAW.wmv
tank abbot lift.

The Irongame site also has an interview with him and he mentions that he “was 5’2” till I started to squat in the 800’s,now I am not so sure."