A 5/3/1, Westside, Ed Coan Blend

I took Jim Wendler’s approach for powerlifting with the 3/5/1 but instead of performing the final set for a rep record I am going to do like eddy coan and just do a second one of the required reps then do 2-3 sets of singles on an exercise like boards or reverse band and get some overload on triples day and on week 3 instead of going just 5/3/1 pyramind 5,4,3,2,1,1 follwed by a drop down set for reps. The only difference is on squat day will be a Thompson dynamic squat cycle alternateing every three weeks with a traditional dyanamic squat cycle follwed by either front squat or manta ray squats for traditional 5/3/1. Military Press day will be 5/3/1 in the coan fashion.

Day 1 Sumo Deadlift alternateing every three weeks with conventional
wk 1 65%x3, 75%x3, 85%x3x2
wk 2 60%x5, 70%x5, 80%x5x2
wk 3 70%x5, 75%x4, 80%x3, 85%x2, 90%x1, 100 or 105%x1, 80%xAmap
Reverse Band Deadlift or block pulls
wk 1 90-105%x1x3
wk 2 90-105%x3x2
not done
upperbacks and lats
abs,calves,neck, and grip

Day 2 Close Grip Bench Press alternateing every 3 weeks with regular Bench Press
wk 1 65%x3, 75%x3, 85%x3x2
wk 2 60%x5, 70%x5, 80%x5x2
wk 3 70%x5, 75%x4, 80%x3, 85%x2, 90%x1, 100 or 105%x1, 80%x Amap
Sling Shot, Board Presses, or Bench Shirt work
wk 1 90-105% of sling shot or bench shirt max x1x3
wk 2 90-105% or 90 x 3x2
not done wk 3
wide grip Bench Press
Incline dumbbells
dips
abs,neck, and grip

Day 3 Box Squat
Thompson squat cycle start with about 60% and go up 20 pounds each set for 5 sets of 2 then keep going up for 3 more sets of 1 increaseing weight each week by 10
front squat or manta ray squats
5/3/1
goodmornings supersetted with leg curls or glute ham raises
calf raises
walking lunges
abs

Day 4 Military Press
5/3/1
Push presses, push jerks, or power jerks
90-105%x3x2
90-105%x1x3
upperback amd rear delt
arms
abs,neck,and grip

Let me Know What You All Think!

Why don’t you just follow Ed Coans plan

This really just doesn’t look like anything except something you made up.

In all honesty, it actually doesn’t look bad but jesus christ, it’s such a bastardization of all the programs that you probably shouldn’t call it any of them haha.

Why don’t you just train like how coan does? He basically does and gives the results of what you’re looking for anyways.

Hey Ethan yea I have thought about just doing Coan’s plan and you are it is kinda crazy jumble of a bunch of things. I think my problem is I know to much and always trying to figure out my own thing but deffinitly will consider just doing Coan’s I have done westside and 5/3/1 before.

Coan’s plan is awesome. I have only used it two weeks , and my strength has already gone up for SURE even though it has only been the light 10’s weeks. Also, my arm has grown 0.2 inches in size. Regardless of whether that is new glycogen storage or not, I am still amazed.

I am coming off being someone strict with sets of 3-5 and training all the lifts ~3x a week;I was a bit skeptical at first but…then again,how can you be skeptical of the guy who deadlifted 901 pounds and squatted 1 ton+ and benched like a monster?!?

Try it out man, I’m telling you it’s great!!

I’m just doing the 4 day of it as well.

1 day Squat+legs,1 day Bench+Chest/Tri,1 day Deadlift+back, 1 day Press+Delts/Bi(and the DE bench goes here)

Deadlift is exploding,Squat is exploding,Shoulders/Traps getting bigger,arms bigger,core leaner, it’s SICK!!

I think trying to reinvent the wheel is always something we all mess up with.

Try out Coan’s plan man! do it for like 12 weeks , you are supposed to get +30 pounds minimum on all the lifts with it anyways!

Wow thats awesome! Let me explain why I came up with this. Mainly because I have liked the idea of wave loading much like westside barbell does dynamic effort and which is pretty much 5/3/1 a 3 week macrocycle consisting of 3 microcycles and instead of haveing a transition week or better known as the deload week i use the conjugate method and change the exercise to a different variation of it. Now I do 2 sets of the last percentage instead of recording a rep record like 5/3/1 because it allows me to get more volume in and prevents me from going to far with it which has been a problem for me in the past mainly because i did high intensity training before so i have a bad habit of repping out until i am dead which keeps me from getting enough volume in for strength gain. My assistance work is all based off of weak point training head to toe. Also the waveing of weights instead of a straight linear periodization like coan keeps you from hitting a wall or at least limits it since everyone hits one eventually. Hopefully this makes sense. Most likely I will try Coan’s system sooner or later cuz I am a huge fan and also I love trying new things.

Yeah I understand why you want to do all that man. Cool well keep everyone updated!

“A 5/3/1, Westside, Ed Coan Blend”

Please, pick one.

Hey i like being creative lol. Really I just took the main parts and the reasoning behind them all and came up with my own thing. Creative people that read can do things like that. lol

What is your training like now? Are you following a program as it’s written?

If so, how are you going to assess what is working ans what doesn’t work if you are changing more than one thing at a time? If not, you don’t have a baseline to judge from.

Oh ok thats true I mainly train with the westside barbell method.

Still dont know why people even respond to Ethan when hes been banned by so many websites.

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:
I am coming off being someone strict with sets of 3-5 and training all the lifts ~3x a week;I was a bit skeptical at first but…then again,how can you be skeptical of the guy who deadlifted 901 pounds and squatted 1 ton+ and benched like a monster?!?[/quote]

I was unaware that Ed Coan squatted over 2000 pounds.

Something to consider…

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/matt_rhodes_531_hybrid?id=5302657&pageNo=0

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Something to consider…

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/matt_rhodes_531_hybrid?id=5302657&pageNo=0[/quote]

Hey thanks i saw that on elitefts it looked good. I have mainly trained westside and still useing conjugate system and dynamic effort. Also if you liked that training program you should check out Matt Vincent he does block peroidization and its very similar. He put a couple of articles in power magazine about it not to long ago.

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:
In all honesty, it actually doesn’t look bad but jesus christ, it’s such a bastardization of all the programs that you probably shouldn’t call it any of them haha.

Why don’t you just train like how coan does? He basically does and gives the results of what you’re looking for anyways.[/quote]

I started reading all these names and how it’s a combination and was like just call it whatever the fuck you want because it’s a Frankenstein creation already. But on topic, seems like an ok combo.